Evan Gattis

Dunt

Apparently the Braves are mulling over moving him in the offseason with Bethancourt on the way. I think this is something Hahn should really explore. Have him split time between catcher and DH, then get Andy Wilkins to DH when he catches. Helps bring some pop to the lineup if they decide to put Semien in LF.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
Apparently the Braves are mulling over moving him in the offseason with Bethancourt on the way. I think this is something Hahn should really explore. Have him split time between catcher and DH, then get Andy Wilkins to DH when he catches. Helps bring some pop to the lineup if they decide to put Semien in LF.

I'm not sure if he's a good enough catcher or a powerful enough DH.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 08:22 PM)

yeah I saw that as well. I was thinking, maybe somebody can help. a while ago,

several yrs, some one mention that when trying to figure the stats in the minors

compared to majors, you should subtract several point from the batting avg.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)

I think that is plenty of pop out of the DH spot, he does have back to back 20 HR seasons in which his slg % has never been below .480.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)

His ISO is around .240 both last year and this year. Consider Abreu's current ISO is at .290 and Dunn is at .200, he's got plenty of pop.

He's going into Arb next year and isn't eligible for FA until 2019, so I think he's gotta cost us at least Montas or Danish +

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
His ISO is around .240 both last year and this year. Consider Abreu's current ISO is at .290 and Dunn is at .200, he's got plenty of pop.

He's going into Arb next year and isn't eligible for FA until 2019, so I think he's gotta cost us at least Montas or Danish +

f**edaboutit, IMO

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)

Thats interesting. The last I had heard they were planning on moving him to LF, playing Heyward in CF and dumping BJ Upton.

The Cubs aren't going to make that move...trading Danks for Jackson would make more sense to each club, although Danks has been throwing harder, it doesn't matter if he's at 90-91 MPH with no control, I think that actually makes him MORE hittable as he's pushing too hard to prove he has not lost all of his velocity from the surgery. He was arguably better when he was changing speeds within the 76-88 MPH range earlier in the season.

The Cubs have McKinney (from the Samardzija trade), Almora, Soler, and of Alcantara, who's been their equivalent of Marcus Semien offensively. Baez and/or Bryant could also end up at corner OF positions.

They have ZERO need for BJ Upton in Wrigley Field.

As far as Gattis goes, the Braves have one of the worst offenses in the NL and they're trading away one of their most productive hitters?

I will believe that when I see it.

Sure, I get it, they have their best hitter at 1B and unless Gattis could play 3B or LF, he doesn't have as much value, but they're definitely not going to make a move like that for Danish AND Montas.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
As far as Gattis goes, the Braves have one of the worst offenses in the NL and they're trading away one of their most productive hitters?

I will believe that when I see it.

Sure, I get it, they have their best hitter at 1B and unless Gattis could play 3B or LF, he doesn't have as much value, but they're definitely not going to make a move like that for Danish AND Montas.

I wouldn't trade those guys for Gattis, but i would make a trade for Gattis. Would be a nice fit in the lineup who I think still has some potential upside.

If the Braves were really interested in Jackson, anyone think they could be interested in Danks or at least were at one time?

Jackson's ERA is a full run higher than Danks while pitching in the NL. Jackson and Danks contracts end after the 2016 season. Hard to imagine the Braves not being interested.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
I wouldn't trade those guys for Gattis, but i would make a trade for Gattis. Would be a nice fit in the lineup who I think still has some potential upside.

Plus you have the Greg Walker Effect in Atlanta. God, what happened to that offense? We all know about BJ Upton's struggles, but Heyward hasn't exactly taken that next step to superstar status. On paper, he looks okay because he walks quite a bit, but his overall traditional numbers are way way down.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
Plus you have the Greg Walker Effect in Atlanta. God, what happened to that offense? We all know about BJ Upton's struggles, but Heyward hasn't exactly taken that next step to superstar status. On paper, he looks okay because he walks quite a bit, but his overall traditional numbers are way way down.

Speaking of Heyward, that's a guy who could fit the mold of this team young team Hahn is assembling. Lefty bat, can play RF and would force Avi to LF where he's possibly destined to play anyway. Could work an extension out that would cover Heyward's prime years.

As for Gattis, no thanks.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)
Speaking of Heyward, that's a guy who could fit the mold of this team young team Hahn is assembling. Lefty bat, can play RF and would force Avi to LF where he's possibly destined to play anyway. Could work an extension out that would cover Heyward's prime years.

As for Gattis, no thanks.

He's a free agent after next year and if OF remains a need then he'd be a reasonable but likely extremely expensive target because you'd still be paying for potential to some degree. Espeically if he has a career year next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
He's a free agent after next year and if OF remains a need then he'd be a reasonable but likely extremely expensive target because you'd still be paying for potential to some degree. Espeically if he has a career year next year.

No doubt about it. If the Sox traded for him they would have to be sure they could work an extension out with him. Its just a thought really. Since the Sox season is kind of blah, my mind is starting to think more about the off season trade potentials.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
If the Braves were really interested in Jackson, anyone think they could be interested in Danks or at least were at one time?

Jackson's ERA is a full run higher than Danks while pitching in the NL. Jackson and Danks contracts end after the 2016 season. Hard to imagine the Braves not being interested.

I believe there was a rumor out there about Danks to the Braves. Not sure if it was true or not.

But ya, if they're interested in Jackson, they'd be interested in Danks.