Kenny Williams a possible GM for Dodgers?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 03:21 PM)
It is always nice when other teams are interested in your guys.

With Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu...their closer, Haren, Puig, Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez, that's 8 players right there who would be desired by almost every team in baseball.

If you include Pederson/Seager/Urias, that's 11.

Not the worst position to be in.

I'm not sure why they would HAVE to cut salary, as the financial value of their broadcast deal isn't decreasing or being affected by the squabbles with the local carriers/providers.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
With Kershaw, Greinke, Ryu...their closer, Haren, Puig, Kemp and Adrian Gonzalez, that's 8 players right there who would be desired by almost every team in baseball.

I'm not sure why they would HAVE to cut salary, as the financial value of their broadcast deal isn't decreasing or being affected by the squabbles with the local carriers/providers.

IIRC, they lost something like $80 million last year.

They said they have been talking for weeks. Talking about another GMs job while that GM is still employed my make him a bit of an outsider to other GMs. You still have to do what's best for your team and if that is dealing with the Dodgers, you still do it, but I bet there are more than a couple of GMs that don't think too highly of what he's done.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
His name is Andrew Friedman and he's arguably one of the best in baseball. Nice move by the Dodgers. This is a big deal.

Friedman stretched the Rays' payroll just about as far as he could and now he's going to have one of the biggest payrolls in baseball. Obviously he'll have to dump some payroll this offseason but it'll be interesting in the long term.

KW's best jobs were with lower payroll. When the checking account expanded, so did his mistakes. It could be the same for Friedman. No one has the game figured out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 12, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)

IF KW were GM those guys would be on a plane for Mike Stanton.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)
They said they have been talking for weeks. Talking about another GMs job while that GM is still employed my make him a bit of an outsider to other GMs. You still have to do what's best for your team and if that is dealing with the Dodgers, you still do it, but I bet there are more than a couple of GMs that don't think too highly of what he's done.

Oh blah...they all do it, or would do it, and they know it.

This is a cutthroat business and these guys are cutthroat businessmen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
KW's best jobs were with lower payroll. When the checking account expanded, so did his mistakes. It could be the same for Friedman. No one has the game figured out.

Well, with more money comes more opportunity...and more opportunity to f*** up on a larger scale.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:20 AM)

Disrespectful on all sides of true. I could see if they meant for the past week, since the Dodgers were eliminated but prior to that is just nuts.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
Disrespectful on all sides of true. I could see if they meant for the past week, since the Dodgers were eliminated but prior to that is just nuts.

The one thing that may eliminate that is Coletti technically didn't get fired, and maybe he was on board with it. But the one thing I read was this was going on way before the elimination.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
The one thing that may eliminate that is Coletti technically didn't get fired, and maybe he was on board with it. But the one thing I read was this was going on way before the elimination.

I could have seen if Colletti was promoted but he was made an advisor.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)

There had to be an asking of permission by the Dodgers, otherwise the Rays would be in full meltdown mode.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
There had to be an asking of permission by the Dodgers, otherwise the Rays would be in full meltdown mode.

That is true. Maybe Colletti had enough or maybe he was aware his job was tied to how the team finished. If he didn't know permission was granted and these negotiations were going on behind his back, that would be really bad. Would they have made this move had they won the WS?

I wonder why the Red Sox had to get compensation for Theo and the Rays don't appear to get any. Was Friedman's contract up?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
That is true. Maybe Colletti had enough or maybe he was aware his job was tied to how the team finished. If he didn't know permission was granted and these negotiations were going on behind his back, that would be really bad. Would they have made this move had they won the WS?

I wonder why the Red Sox had to get compensation for Theo and the Rays don't appear to get any. Was Friedman's contract up?

http://www.businessinsider.com/dodgers-hir...riedman-2014-10

Friedman, who worked for Bear, Stearns & Co. prior to joining the Rays, was not under contract with the Rays, a team policy for executives. Therefore, the Dodgers did not have to offer compensation for signing Friedman.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
If I had to put money on who would win the most world series over the next ten years I'd be hard pressed to bet on anyone over the Dodgers. Their system looks outstanding, their international scouting has been of the best and they have a GM with a strong track record and an astute view of both the game and the finances of it.

Julio Urias is my favorite pitching prospect in baseball and Seager is another prospect who looks to reach potential. If Kershaw and Kemp hold up that team is a force to be reckoned with.

Greinke, Ryu & Puig say hi too.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
If I had to put money on who would win the most world series over the next ten years I'd be hard pressed to bet on anyone over the Dodgers. Their system looks outstanding, their international scouting has been of the best and they have a GM with a strong track record and an astute view of both the game and the finances of it.

Julio Urias is my favorite pitching prospect in baseball and Seager is another prospect who looks to reach potential. If Kershaw and Kemp hold up that team is a force to be reckoned with.

It is strange, but it never seems to work out that way.