Free Agents

LDF

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Among catcher talk, I just want to throw this in... there have been numerous signs in the past year that the Sox are not enamored with Phegley's approach and attitude. It is possible he's changed that, but he was benched midway through a game and through a second game in Charlotte during the season. And his defense is still a struggle. My point is, if I had to guess, I don't think he's in the org next year, let alone in the majors. I'd bet the org is happier with Nieto and even Smith as possible 2015 backup options than they are with Phegley.

I think he can be a decent hitter too, but where do you play him on the field? OF? 1B? 3B? Not sure he can handle any of those or if it's justified to do so.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him traded.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 11:23 AM)
I think he can be a decent hitter too, but where do you play him on the field? OF? 1B? 3B? Not sure he can handle any of those or if it's justified to do so.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him traded.

I think they'll trade him in a minor-for-minor deal, but what they get back isn't going to be much.

Nieto needs to be back down to AA, and Smith should be in AAA. If Phegley stays (possibly but unlikely) OR Sox acquire a cheap major league LHH backup C (which may not be possible), then Smith is in AAA and Nieto in AA. If Phegley is gone and they don't acquire someone, then I'd guess Smith and Nieto compete for the backup job with the loser going to AAA. And if I had to bet, I'd bet on Smith, if only because Nieto needs development time in a big way.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
Among catcher talk, I just want to throw this in... there have been numerous signs in the past year that the Sox are not enamored with Phegley's approach and attitude. It is possible he's changed that, but he was benched midway through a game and through a second game in Charlotte during the season. And his defense is still a struggle. My point is, if I had to guess, I don't think he's in the org next year, let alone in the majors. I'd bet the org is happier with Nieto and even Smith as possible 2015 backup options than they are with Phegley.

Not sure that is true. Below quote in September could be Hahn blowing smoke but

September 4, 2014, 8:47 PM

White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said this week Josh Phegley "forced himself back into the conversation" about Sox catchers with the work he did with Triple-A Charlotte this season.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
Are you really trying to say that fielding % has any sort of relevance in deciding how good of a defender an outfielder is? Come on. I think we can just forget the Melky Cabrera talk anyways. Toronto wants to extend him and is going to make a qualifying offer. Melky has also stated he would like to stay in Toronto because they are the ones that gave him a chance after his PED suspension. It's just a matter of time before they sign him to an extension.

Point taken on the fielding %.

As for Cabrera. I had not heard that he and Toronto have mutual interest, so if that's true I'll shift focus elsewhere.

Markakis' keeps popping up but didn't Baltimore say they wanted to extend him despite declining to extend a QO to him?

I didn't realize Markakis hit lefties that well, he would fit perfect behind Eaton as someone has already pointed out. Another benefit is Markakis playing RF would move Avi to LF where he belongs.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)

White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said this week Josh Phegley "forced himself back into the conversation" about Sox catchers with the work he did with Triple-A Charlotte this season.

It's hard for Hahn to say "we don't feel he's not a capable catcher though" because that ruins any value he has.

I don't see a lot of room for Phegley moving forward and agree with NSS that I think it'll be a minor for minor deal.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)

I don't know if it will stick or not, but the swing Phegley had for the last week of the season was the shortest I have ever seen him. If he can keep that swing, he has the bat speed to hit in the majors.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)

What Hahn says the media is different. He isn't ever going to badmouth a current prospect or player. And Phegley's bat, at least, did make his case for him. It's possible Phegley re-focused and made an impression, in fact I hope he did. But he was booted from ST to minors camp early, criticized openly by coaching staff and front office staff, and had at least a pair of issues come up in AAA that Skinner (Charlotte manager) called out publicly.

Jose Fernandez may have defected this weekend. If he did, that would be a huge priority for the Sox. A 26 year old LH hitting second baseman with exception on base and contact skills. Other than that I think we just add some spare parts to the bullpen and sign a reclamation project SP. Any other upgrades to the lineup will be done via trade.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)
What Hahn says the media is different. He isn't ever going to badmouth a current prospect or player. And Phegley's bat, at least, did make his case for him. It's possible Phegley re-focused and made an impression, in fact I hope he did. But he was booted from ST to minors camp early, criticized openly by coaching staff and front office staff, and had at least a pair of issues come up in AAA that Skinner (Charlotte manager) called out publicly.

correct me if I am wrong on this. wasn't Phegley always a good hitter, but his defense was / is lacking.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
The Orioles just declined the option on Markakis. He is not as good as Melky offensively, but would solidify our outfield defense and could hit second behind Eaton. Wonder what he will be asking?

Please sign him and put him in RF and move Avi to LF

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
Jose Fernandez may have defected this weekend. If he did, that would be a huge priority for the Sox. A 26 year old LH hitting second baseman with exception on base and contact skills. Other than that I think we just add some spare parts to the bullpen and sign a reclamation project SP. Any other upgrades to the lineup will be done via trade.

If it just happened, odds aren't very good that he is able to be on a MLB roster by April 1m, 2015.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 11:52 AM)
The Orioles just declined the option on Markakis. He is not as good as Melky offensively, but would solidify our outfield defense and could hit second behind Eaton. Wonder what he will be asking?

They did this in the middle of the ALCS?

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
correct me if I am wrong on this. wasn't Phegley always a good hitter, but his defense was / is lacking.

You are correct, he was drafted as a bat-first catcher. His backstory is complicated and long, but he skipped up levels with minimal time in the middle of the system before landing at Charlotte (and struggling) in 2012. In 2013 the bat caught up.

He does have a strong arm, but the glove work and working with pitchers have been noted as weak points all along.

Bold Prediction: Markakis is gonna be the saltalamacchia of this year. Where it makes a good amount of sense, but we feel he'll get overpriced, basically hear we are out of the running early, then he'll get signed for a contract that is pretty reasonable.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 12:46 PM)
Bold Prediction: Markakis is gonna be the saltalamacchia of this year. Where it makes a good amount of sense, but we feel he'll get overpriced, basically hear we are out of the running early, then he'll get signed for a contract that is pretty reasonable.

Salty sucks.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Markakis, Eaton, and Avisail is actually a decent defensive outfield. Isn't Markakis a gold glove RF though (not LF)?

Markakis was really, really, f***ing good in RF in 2008. Pretty much been downhill from there using DRS.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...ieldingadvanced

Edited by woods of ypres

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
I personally don't think Phegley can do anything.

EDIT: In relation to Major League Baseball, of course. I'm sure he has other hobbies at which he excels.

jeeze ...... what did he do, kick your dog?