Free Agents

LDF

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 09:34 PM)
Rasmus' D would be nice, but offensively he's basically been Viceido 3 of the last 4 years. If he comes rather cheap( I'm talkin 7-8N) I guess it wouldn't be the worst signing though.

But if Viciedo played high-end defense, would you dislike him so much?

I know I wouldn't.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Oct 14, 2014 -> 08:43 PM)
I wouldn't hate Rasmus, but I'd also like to see them sign Denorfia to a 1 year deal (would consider 2 years) to hit lefties and provide quality OF defense.

Eventually, you would hate Rasmus. BTW, Rasmus' defense wasn't so great this year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Eventually, you would hate Rasmus. BTW, Rasmus' defense wasn't so great this year.

I gotta think there's a good chance this is accurate and pretty rapidly we'd all hate Rasmus, it seems the norm with him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
But if Viciedo played high-end defense, would you dislike him so much?

I know I wouldn't.

A large part of his negative view is his low baseball IQ in the OF. If that wasn't there, it would change everything. To me it is rather like saying if Paul Konerko was fast, would you like him better. Well sure, but that ain't gonna happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
I gotta think there's a good chance this is accurate and pretty rapidly we'd all hate Rasmus, it seems the norm with him.

i think there are two people that like that guy. His dad, and himself. And im not really sure about himself

I think the only thing I'm aching for if catcher is beyond us is upgrade to our OF defense. We cannot be running that weak crap everyday. I hope Viciedo pans out for someone, but we can't have a replaceable offense and bad defensive player just because he is young.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
A large part of his negative view is his low baseball IQ in the OF. If that wasn't there, it would change everything. To me it is rather like saying if Paul Konerko was fast, would you like him better. Well sure, but that ain't gonna happen.

I was just responding to the post that said Rasmus has been essentially Viciedo at the plate 2 of the last 3 years. I was making the point that you can take that level of offense if it comes with high-end defense.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
Are you really trying to say that fielding % has any sort of relevance in deciding how good of a defender an outfielder is? Come on. I think we can just forget the Melky Cabrera talk anyways. Toronto wants to extend him and is going to make a qualifying offer. Melky has also stated he would like to stay in Toronto because they are the ones that gave him a chance after his PED suspension. It's just a matter of time before they sign him to an extension.

There is little question that Toronto would like to keep him. I think their issue is that, without Melky, they have somewhere in the neighborhood of $ 150M in potential payroll. I am not sure that, without some kind of commensurate salary dump, they would be prepared to take on another 10% over that number. They finished 13 games behind Baltimore. My hope is that they can't put it together.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
I was just responding to the post that said Rasmus has been essentially Viciedo at the plate 2 of the last 3 years. I was making the point that you can take that level of offense if it comes with high-end defense.

yeah, and I think the value of premium defense is going up, as the offense disappears.

I have the feeling balls will be wound a little tighter next season. Sometimes after a down year league-wide offensively, magically, offense improves the next season. See 1976-1977. 1986-1987 as a couple of examples.

This year, the ball just wasn't jumping nearly like it was in the past, with a couple of exceptions, even when guys hit the ball really hard. Balls that when you saw them you knew they were gone in previous seasons, were being easily tracked down and camped under many times short of the warning track.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
There is little question that Toronto would like to keep him. I think their issue is that, without Melky, they have somewhere in the neighborhood of $ 150M in potential payroll. I am not sure that, without some kind of commensurate salary dump, they would be prepared to take on another 10% over that number. They finished 13 games behind Baltimore. My hope is that they can't put it together.

That $150 number assumes they pick up all options. They have a $10 million option on Brandon Morrow, $7.5 on Adam Lind, $6.7 on JA Happ, and $4 on Dustin McGowan. I would assume the option on Morrow will be declined and I could see them declining at least one of the other three. If they still want Melky (which they say they do) they can make it work. In 2016 they have Buehrle's $19 million off the books too, so they would only be taking the big hit for one year.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
The Orioles just declined the option on Markakis. He is not as good as Melky offensively, but would solidify our outfield defense and could hit second behind Eaton. Wonder what he will be asking?

Sub .400 SLG the past two years. If you hit him second, that's fine, but that doesn't cut it for a guy who might hit 3rd, 5th, or 6th on this team.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Sub .400 SLG the past two years. If you hit him second, that's fine, but that doesn't cut it for a guy who might hit 3rd, 5th, or 6th on this team.

Steamer projects a 109 wRC+. You wouldn't take something like that batting 5th or 6th?

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:52 AM)
The Orioles just declined the option on Markakis. He is not as good as Melky offensively, but would solidify our outfield defense and could hit second behind Eaton. Wonder what he will be asking?

Also will not cost a draft pick like Cabrera would.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
Steamer projects a 109 wRC+. You wouldn't take something like that batting 5th or 6th?

I'd like to think there are better options.

Edit: looks like Markakis doesn't struggle against lefties (around same average and OBP, more power off righties). If that's the case, Robin might actually hit him behind Eaton.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 15, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)

He does lack power, but he also has a pretty good OBP. Anybody with that profile should be hitting in front of Abreu.

I'd be okay with him. Not ecstatic.

Among catcher talk, I just want to throw this in... there have been numerous signs in the past year that the Sox are not enamored with Phegley's approach and attitude. It is possible he's changed that, but he was benched midway through a game and through a second game in Charlotte during the season. And his defense is still a struggle. My point is, if I had to guess, I don't think he's in the org next year, let alone in the majors. I'd bet the org is happier with Nieto and even Smith as possible 2015 backup options than they are with Phegley.