Free Agents

LDF

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest it may be more important to have managing and coaching staffs familair with the playoffs, than players.

Game 7 was won by SFG in part due to a managing gaffe (the bunt) and a baserunning gaffe that should never happen (sliding into first). No guarantee what would have happened in either case, but in both cases, poor leadership caused poor decisions that gave the Royals fewer chances to win.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
I'd suggest it may be more important to have managing and coaching staffs familair with the playoffs, than players.

Game 7 was won by SFG in part due to a managing gaffe (the bunt) and a baserunning gaffe that should never happen (sliding into first). No guarantee what would have happened in either case, but in both cases, poor leadership caused poor decisions that gave the Royals fewer chances to win.

I think Hosmer diving into first being on a manager or coach is a little far fetched. I bet that has occurred under everyone. It is a stupid move and everyone knows it. Sometimes you can't fight your instincts.

What about Torii Hunter? Yeah, he's almost 40, but it's not apparent when he plays. He still hits well, he would make a better LF than Viciedo, and maybe even a better RF than Garcia, he is baseball-intelligent, and he has veteran leadership qualities with playoff experience. Probably not too expensive, either.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
What about Torii Hunter? Yeah, he's almost 40, but it's not apparent when he plays. He still hits well, he would make a better LF than Viciedo, and maybe even a better RF than Garcia, he is baseball-intelligent, and he has veteran leadership qualities with playoff experience. Probably not too expensive, either.

According to fangraphs he was the worst right fielder in all of baseball by a wide margin....If we go with an old right handed outfielder, I'd rather bring in Cuddyer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
What kind of playoff experience did the 2005 White Sox have when they went 11-1?

Caulfield needs some meds.

meds. :huh

where who has meds.... do they want to share?????

dang it. Wash pick up Span option. I was really hoping for him to be

available.

Rafael Soriano here is an interesting name. I am surprise on this one.

I wonder what kind of salary he will now demand, and how many yrs

would it take to sign him.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)

makes zero sense. he's worse defensively than the crap the sox already have and at best is a one year "stop gap" option. Not what the Sox need. He'll either sign back with Detroit for 1 year 6-8 million with an option or retire IMO.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)
IMO, playoff experience only matters in a manager/coaching staff. They need to know how to use their players in those situations, especially the pitchers.

Ozzie did pretty damn good with none as a manager his 1st time in.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
Ozzie did pretty damn good with none as a manager his 1st time in.

To his credit, Ozzie was on the Marlins coaching staff in 2003 during their championship run. I don't think experience is necessary, but it definitely can't hurt.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
To his credit, Ozzie was on the Marlins coaching staff in 2003 during their championship run. I don't think experience is necessary, but it definitely can't hurt.

He had 2 or 3 years of coaching before he became manager, and the coaching started right after his playing career, so he was in the game. Ozzie knew what he was doing - didn't agree with some of his philosophy and he was the worst I've ever seen at evaluating talent - but he knew what he was doing as manager.

If the chips fall as MLB Trade Rumors projects - the 2015 White Sox will feature Victor Martinez at DH, Colby Rasmus in LF, and Luke Gregerson as an anchor to the pen.

The Cubs would be adding Lester, Masterson, Russell Martin, David Robertson, and Jake Peavy.

Um... yea.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
If the chips fall as MLB Trade Rumors projects - the 2015 White Sox will feature Victor Martinez at DH, Colby Rasmus in LF, and Luke Gregerson as an anchor to the pen.

The Cubs would be adding Lester, Masterson, Russell Martin, David Robertson, and Jake Peavy.

Um... yea.

I'll take it!