Mark Buehrle

rowand's rowdies

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they want Viciedo if they're putting all their efforts into keeping Melky Cabrera in TOR?

They already have Lind for DH getting the majority of at-bats, so paying $4.5-5.5 million for a part-time player as a cash-strapped franchise isn't good business.

Maybe Viciedo would be Option D, but on that artificial turf, it's a disaster waiting to happen. He has a lot more ground to cover into that LCF gap...not like SF, but it's an appreciable difference from USCF in terms of sheer coverage area.

Edited by caulfield12

Lightly used is really funny to me headz.

I know all it takes is 1 GM to want Viciedo and apparently 20 HRs has some value, but does anybody want him patrolling LF for the Sox in 2015? And if you say YES, I'm going to first respond with "c'mon man", and then respectfully address your opinion.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
The Sox will take him back if he is best value available among all the options. It will be purely a business decision.

I don't think so. If everything is remotely similar, I think the Sox would take Buehrle back over others. I expect Buehrle to pitch another game with the White Sox. I'd say odds are 51/49 that it happens.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
I don't think so. If everything is remotely similar, I think the Sox would take Buehrle back over others. I expect Buehrle to pitch another game with the White Sox. I'd say odds are 51/49 that it happens.

At the very least, I'd bet money Mark gets a one day contract to retire as a White Sox, with all of the pomp and circumstance he deserves.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
Let say Toronto throws is 4M and knocks Buehrle's 2015 salary down to 15M which I believe he is worth. What can Toronto expect in return from the Sox?

I'd give up very little for that. That would fill a rotation spot for 1 year at a high price that would eat up a large portion of the White Sox's money to spend on free agents this year while still leaving them major holes at DH, OF, and bullpen. If you're looking to fill a rotation slot there's a good chance you could get comparable performance on the free agent market for similar money without having to give up any minor leaguers for him.

Throw them something comparable to one of the relievers we got back in the deals we made this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 07:52 PM)
Why would they want Viciedo if they're putting all their efforts into keeping Melky Cabrera in TOR?

They already have Lind for DH getting the majority of at-bats, so paying $4.5-5.5 million for a part-time player as a cash-strapped franchise isn't good business.

Maybe Viciedo would be Option D, but on that artificial turf, it's a disaster waiting to happen. He has a lot more ground to cover into that LCF gap...not like SF, but it's an appreciable difference from USCF in terms of sheer coverage area.

I don't think Rogers Communications is cash strapped, but I do agree with the premise they most likely wouldn't want Viciedo.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
I'd give up very little for that. That would fill a rotation spot for 1 year at a high price that would eat up a large portion of the White Sox's money to spend on free agents this year while still leaving them major holes at DH, OF, and bullpen. If you're looking to fill a rotation slot there's a good chance you could get comparable performance on the free agent market for similar money without having to give up any minor leaguers for him.

Throw them something comparable to one of the relievers we got back in the deals we made this year.

I know 15M is a nice chunck of money but its not a large option of the potentential 40-50M the Sox have to spend. Scherzer and Shields will be much more costly in terms of annual salary and contract years. BMac could very well likely cost in that 15M range annually on a 3-4 year deal and brings health concerns with his contract. Masterson is a reclamation project.

If the Sox really plan on contending, Buehrle could help the rotation and bridge the gap to Rodon. One of the things I like most about the Buehrle idea is that its only for one year and then Buehrle's salary is off the books. If a pitcher becomes injured or Danks gets traded then Rodon gets called up.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
I know 15M is a nice chunck of money but its not a large option of the potentential 40-50M the Sox have to spend. Scherzer and Shields will be much more costly in terms of annual salary and contract years. BMac could very well likely cost in that 15M range annually on a 3-4 year deal and brings health concerns with his contract. Masterson is a reclamation project.

If the Sox really plan on contending, Buehrle could help the rotation and bridge the gap to Rodon. One of the things I like most about the Buehrle idea is that its only for one year and then Buehrle's salary is off the books. If a pitcher becomes injured or Danks gets traded then Rodon gets called up.

The Sox are not spending $50 million this off season.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 11:32 AM)

I wouldn't put it past GMs, but I'd be stunned if McCarthy got a $45-$60 million deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
I wouldn't put it past GMs, but I'd be stunned if McCarthy got a $45-$60 million deal.

I'd be willing to bet BMac get 2 years with an option determined by his innings pitched over the two years prior to the option year.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
What is your point?

Care to discuss the possibility of Buehrle by any chance?

Trying to fit Buerhle's salary in gets much tougher when a realistic salary threshold for the team next year is used. We are sitting at $46 million before any of the arb guys have been signed. Realistically, if Viciedo is brought back, and Bellisario isn't, I'd say somewhere around $60 million is a realistic floor if you assume normal arb numbers for the rest of the guys (Viciedo $5 million, Flowers $2 million, Jones and Noesi $1 mil each) along with $500k holding slots for the rest of the roster (12ish open spots = $6 million).

We spent $90 million last year, and all revenue streams probably fell again last year, which is offset and then some by the extra $25 million from the new TV deal.

Realistically, I would bet on the $90-95 million range, which means we have more like $30 to $35 million to spend, not 40 to 50. That is a huge difference.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
Trying to fit Buerhle's salary in gets much tougher when a realistic salary threshold for the team next year is used. We are sitting at $46 million before any of the arb guys have been signed. Realistically, if Viciedo is brought back, and Bellisario isn't, I'd say somewhere around $60 million is a realistic floor if you assume normal arb numbers for the rest of the guys (Viciedo $5 million, Flowers $2 million, Jones and Noesi $1 mil each) along with $500k holding slots for the rest of the roster (12ish open spots = $6 million).

We spent $90 million last year, and all revenue streams probably fell again last year, which is offset and then some by the extra $25 million from the new TV deal.

Realistically, I would bet on the $90-95 million range, which means we have more like $30 to $35 million to spend, not 40 to 50. That is a huge difference.

And market-rate dollars for a solid 3/4 starter is a terribly inefficient way to spend those dollars. $15m would be every penny that Buerhle would be worth, and there's a good chance you could duplicate his production (or reasonably close) with a couple pillow contracts and/or young up-and-comers that also come with substantial upside potential.

EDIT: This is also why the $14m we owe to Danks is a terrible albatross.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 01:31 PM)

You really think Viciedo and Belisario will be back? Were just looking at from different perspectives. Include their salaries and the space is where you say it is but if the Sox trade or kick them to the curb them the space is where I'm saying and I'm really not counting on either being with the team which is why I threw the numbers out that I did.

Back to the original idea of Buehrle + 4M coming from Toronto. The Sox don't have the space for Buehrle and the proposed 15M but yet names like Victor Martinez, James Shields and Max Scherzer, all of which will make more, are tossed around? Makes no sense.

I'm not saying we should go after Buehrle but if the Sox want to upgrade the rotation and Toronto is willing to send money with Buehrle, the Sox should explore since they insist they can contend in 2015.

Who knows. Take Buehrle and cash from Toronto and maybe the Sox can intern deal Danks and cash elsewhere. Then you're looking at a 2015 rotation of Sale, Q, Buehrle, Noesi, Rodon. Bassitt plays long man/spot starter out of the pen and Buehrle buys a year for possibly one of Beck, Montas or Danish to be ready in 2016. If not, maybe the Sox look at a one year deal with Buehrle for 2016.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
You really think Viciedo and Belisario will be back? Were just looking at from different perspectives. Include their salaries and the space is where you say it is but if the Sox trade or kick them to the curb them the space is where I'm saying and I'm really not counting on either being with the team which is why I threw the numbers out that I did.

Back to the original idea of Buehrle + 4M coming from Toronto. The Sox don't have the space for Buehrle and the proposed 15M but yet names like Victor Martinez, James Shields and Max Scherzer, all of which will make more, are tossed around? Makes no sense.

I'm not saying we should go after Buehrle but if the Sox want to upgrade the rotation and Toronto is willing to send money with Buehrle, the Sox should explore since they insist they can contend in 2015.

Who knows. Take Buehrle and cash from Toronto and maybe the Sox can intern deal Danks and cash elsewhere. Then you're looking at a 2015 rotation of Sale, Q, Buehrle, Noesi, Rodon. Bassitt plays long man/spot starter out of the pen and Buehrle buys a year for possibly one of Beck, Montas or Danish to be ready in 2016. If not, maybe the Sox look at a one year deal with Buehrle for 2016.

I went with Dayan yes, Bellisario, Boggs, and Paulino, no.

And I am not one who is betting on big names being signed. Reading what Hahn and Kenny have said, and splicing that with prior history, I don't buy it. We'll be second tier shopping to fill in holes, with maybe a bad contract for bad contract type of deal to move Danks.

Um...anyone who's trying to add up their payroll commitments from the B-R page, for some reason the name "Jose Dariel Abreu" has, um, disappeared.

I got to $60 million in direct commitments earlier this year without Viciedo and $65 million with Viciedo. That also doesn't include however Jose Abreu's signing bonus is booked, and that doesn't include continuing elevated spending on the draft and international FA due to higher draft slotting. I continue to think that number is accurate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
Um...anyone who's trying to add up their payroll commitments from the B-R page, for some reason the name "Jose Dariel Abreu" has, um, disappeared.

I got to $60 million in direct commitments earlier this year without Viciedo and $65 million with Viciedo. That also doesn't include however Jose Abreu's signing bonus is booked, and that doesn't include continuing elevated spending on the draft and international FA due to higher draft slotting. I continue to think that number is accurate.

I went off of this from http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensa...cago-white-sox/

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tK7...amp;output=html