Mark Buehrle

rowand's rowdies

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
Yeah but big difference there, Ordonez was on his rookie contract so he had no real control of where he was going anyway. The White Sox could have traded him to the worst team in baseball and there's nothing he could have done about it, that's the "its a business" part.

No. It was an extension that pushed his free agency back a year or two.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
Got that, still say that Mark should have known exactly what the end result would be.

Agree about his naivete, but I'm not sure it was such a foregone conclusion. If that team had lived up to its payroll the teardown might not have happened. At least not so quickly.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
It should be noted that Buerhle, along with all of his short-lived Marlins alumni, most definitely received several millions of dollars extra in place of their no-trade clauses.

Also very true. Anyone remember what the runner up for Buehrle bid?

Sale is a superhero and Quintana, depending on what sample you look at, has either no platoon splits or reverse ones. Neither's handedness should factor into building the rest of the rotation and if the best guy to bring in is a lefty, bring him in.

Buehrle was 21st in fWAR last year and is owed $14.5M. You couldn't sign a free agent as good as that for any less. If Toronto is willing to eat salary that's even better. Only downside is that he only has 1 year left on his contract. If you can get Brandon McCarthy on a reasonable 3 year deal he's probably a better option than Buehrle. Of course, if there is a sucker out there who will take Danks and pay at least half his salary, then maybe the Sox can do both.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
Buehrle was 21st in fWAR last year and is owed $14.5M. You couldn't sign a free agent as good as that for any less. If Toronto is willing to eat salary that's even better. Only downside is that he only has 1 year left on his contract. If you can get Brandon McCarthy on a reasonable 3 year deal he's probably a better option than Buehrle. Of course, if there is a sucker out there who will take Danks and pay at least half his salary, then maybe the Sox can do both.

Isn't it $19 million?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
It may very well be backloaded. I was lazy and just divided his total number by the four years.

It is VERY backloaded.

2012 Miami Marlins $6,000,000

2013 Toronto Blue Jays $11,000,000

2014 Toronto Blue Jays $18,000,000

2015 Toronto Blue Jays $19,000,000

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
It is VERY backloaded.

2012 Miami Marlins $6,000,000

2013 Toronto Blue Jays $11,000,000

2014 Toronto Blue Jays $18,000,000

2015 Toronto Blue Jays $19,000,000

When he was reviewing the terms sheet submitted by the Marlins, he and his scout should have seen that trade coming. Those figures scream "trade after first season"

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
When he was reviewing the terms sheet submitted by the Marlins, he and his scout should have seen that trade coming. Those figures scream "trade after first season"

but he was promised that the team would not trade him. he wanted a no trade clause.

If I remember right, the sox was offering something like a 1 to 1+ mil less in the salary

with a no trade clause.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
but he was promised that the team would not trade him. he wanted a no trade clause.

If I remember right, the sox was offering something like a 1 to 1+ mil less in the salary

with a no trade clause.

I didn't think the Sox actually offered him a contract. They weren't prepared to go to that number of years, etc. They told him to stay close and let the club know but had probably also said this is as much as we can budget given our current rebuilding plans, blah blah blah and we respect you and everything else.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 06:25 PM)
I didn't think the Sox actually offered him a contract. They weren't prepared to go to that number of years, etc. They told him to stay close and let the club know but had probably also said this is as much as we can budget given our current rebuilding plans, blah blah blah and we respect you and everything else.

I remember hearing a lot of talk int he 3/$36 range from us, so when he got a deal worth 2x that total amount they said he should take it if he wanted the money.

Worth noting that if he hadn't left Chicago, he'd have had full no trade protection due to being a 10/5 player, so just by bringing the other offer back it was clear he was leaving for that money.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 10:25 PM)

and you know what I have to say, you are prob right and I am wrong.

ref to the money aspect. several mil a yr plus at least 1 extra yr in salary, yeah

it is all about the money. does anyone blame him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 10:36 PM)
I remember hearing a lot of talk int he 3/$36 range from us, so when he got a deal worth 2x that total amount they said he should take it if he wanted the money.

Worth noting that if he hadn't left Chicago, he'd have had full no trade protection due to being a 10/5 player, so just by bringing the other offer back it was clear he was leaving for that money.

yeah you are right.

here is an interesting question. I know some of the fans wants him back. do you think

the sox will take him back when there are other options maybe even options with

a lower salary.

yeah you are right.

here is an interesting question. I know some of the fans wants him back. do you think

the sox will take him back when there are other options maybe even options with

a lower salary.

The Sox will take him back if he is best value available among all the options. It will be purely a business decision.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 11:14 PM)
The Sox will take him back if he is best value available among all the options. It will be purely a business decision.

the best value available is kind of subjective. what will be the best

case in point of best value?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)

I am pretty sure I remember us never even offering him a contract.