Victor Martinez Re-signs with Tigers

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Victor Martinez

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
BS. His average season would look very nice in the middle of the White Sox line up, and may make some pitchers pitch to Abreu. His average career year is very similar to Carlos Beltran., who as a free agent, was 1 year older than Victor, and received $45 million for 3 years.

And as I just pointed out in excruciating detail, While his average season would look fine in the middle of the white sox's order, the end result of Scott Downs 2.0 in the bullpen and Bassitt, Noesi, and Danks making up 3/5 of the rotation would leave that bat extremely likely to be wasted.

And since you said BS, I'll note - it's factually accurate that last season was the 2nd most walks he's ever had in a season and by far the lowest strikeouts he's ever had in a full season. Thus, my statement remains accurate.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
BS. His average season would look very nice in the middle of the White Sox line up, and may make some pitchers pitch to Abreu. His 162 game averger year is very similar to Carlos Beltran., who as a free agent, was 1 year older than Victor, and received $45 million for 3 years.

And for 3/45, I think people wouldn't have nearly as much problem with this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
And as I just pointed out in excruciating detail, While his average season would look fine in the middle of the white sox's order, the end result of Scott Downs 2.0 in the bullpen and Bassitt, Noesi, and Danks making up 3/5 of the rotation would leave that bat extremely likely to be wasted.

Except for 1 season, basically every White Sox performance since any of us has been alive has been "wasted". The one thing worse than trying to win and failing, is not trying at all.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Except for 1 season, basically every White Sox performance since any of us has been alive has been "wasted". The one thing worse than trying to win and failing, is not trying at all.

I dunno, I'd say that trying as hard as possible and having it screw up the following 3 seasons (see: our last set of "all-in" moves) is actually worse than not trying at all since that one screwed up half a decade of baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
I dunno, I'd say that trying as hard as possible and having it screw up the following 3 seasons (see: our last set of "all-in" moves) is actually worse than not trying at all since that one screwed up half a decade of baseball.

How did it screw it up? What would have been better? The Sox went "all in" when they brought back Paulie and AJ.

AJ got about $8 million for 2 years and had a great 2012. Paulie was on fire in 2011, and was great for half of 2012, and I believe they found his replacement.

For a guy who accuses others of making things up, you sure do make a lot of things up.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
BS. His average season would look very nice in the middle of the White Sox line up, and may make some pitchers pitch to Abreu. His 162 game averger year is very similar to Carlos Beltran., who as a free agent, was 1 year older than Victor, and received $45 million for 3 years.

And that Carlos Beltran contract already looks horrible and he still has two years to go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)

Lol Balta...everything is so black and white with you. I read your entire post and I'm still struggling to understand how adding V-Mart automatically means we'll sign Scott Downs 2.0 and have no money for a SP upgrade. Maybe you have to fill a hole via trade to save some money, but let's not pretend adding V-Mart makes acheiving other offseason needs impossible. $40M is quite a bit of money to fill five holes if you're also willing to trade some minor league talent.

And BTW, you're Scott Downs 2.0 point comment is totally off-base. He may have sucked for us, but he wasn't some scrap-heap signing. $3.5M should be able to get you a potentially solid reliever, unfortunately relievers in general are extremely volatile year to year. Throwing even bigger money at the problem isn't likely to lead to a much better outcome.

Only way I'm signing martinez if it's non guaranteed 4 year deal. 2 yr with 3rd year option or 3 yr with 4th option. Plus if they are going to sign him then the sox better make sure they are competing here on out. He has the seems to get better with age like konerko did but still has to have some point where he can't do it anymore. If he's signed her for a 4 yr deal and he craps out after year one when we better be competing then you have dunn all over again. He's pretty much a pure dh only at this point. He would look good in the lineup but to many things to go wrong and be a dead contract on the team. Would rather see someone younger and a rotation dh

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
Only way I'm signing martinez if it's non guaranteed 4 year deal. 2 yr with 3rd year option or 3 yr with 4th option. Plus if they are going to sign him then the sox better make sure they are competing here on out. He has the seems to get better with age like konerko did but still has to have some point where he can't do it anymore. If he's signed her for a 4 yr deal and he craps out after year one when we better be competing then you have dunn all over again. He's pretty much a pure dh only at this point. He would look good in the lineup but to many things to go wrong and be a dead contract on the team. Would rather see someone younger and a rotation dh

I am obviously hoping they sign him, and agree with everything you posted.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
SoxNerd ‏@SoxNerd 2h2 hours ago

@MLBNetwork @CJNitkowski & @MikeFerrinSXM predict free agent VictorMartinez will sign with @whitesox

money talks to vmart what if mariners offer vmart 4 years 90 million.