Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 11:41 PM)
If you trade for Samardzija and can't workout an extension during this off-season or mid-season, you can at least offer a qualifying offer next off-season while still trying to work out a deal for him to come back so you can at least re-coup something if he were to sign somewhere else from a potential deal.

I will also like to add. the value of what the sox have to give up, to

bring him to the south side, will not be well compensated for what is

needed to trade for him.

the sox system is still very thin. it can not take a hit like that, yet,

quit thinking of the KW's era, it is a different show.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
There are other pitchers that can be had for top prospects that are younger, cheaper, have higher upside and are not a year away from FA, so why are people so focused on Shark? Makes no sense at all.

The same reason people want to trade for Heyward.

They believe for unknown reasons he'd be willing to extend and not make 20-30% more in free agency.

Samardzija as a rental makes a bit more sense to hold a spot for Rodon...but if the asking price is too high, and why wouldn't it be...then forget it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)

They believe for unknown reasons he'd be willing to extend and not make 20-30% more in free agency.

Samardzija as a rental makes a bit more sense to hold a spot for Rodon...but if the asking price is too high, and why wouldn't it be...then forget it.

Why on Earth does this team need a rental? They aren't a playoff contender next season. Contenders trade for rentals, not rebuilding organizations.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
Why on Earth does this team need a rental? They aren't a playoff contender next season. Contenders trade for rentals, not rebuilding organizations.

Alright man I have to disagree. It's very possible that we contend. We have superstars, great young players and good prospects. Don't write it off yet for The Hahn is hunting.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)

Rick Hahn and the rest of the organization seems to think so

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
Alright man I have to disagree. It's very possible that we contend. We have superstars, great young players and good prospects. Don't write it off yet for The Hahn is hunting.

If Samardzija is the last piece we add in January after we acquire a real catcher, 3B, LF, then fine, I'd probably buy us being a contender next year. But as currently constructed, this team isn't sniffing the playoffs, so Samardzija sure as s*** better not be our 1st move unless Hahn is 110% sure he can add in the surrounding pieces he needs.

QUOTE (Baron @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 01:39 AM)
"“It’s absolutely our intent (to contend in 2015),” Hahn said."

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/front-...an-contend-2015

So clearly not

Oh he said to the public that this team doesn't suck? Woah boys, where do I get playoff tickets? Stop the presses, this changes everything!

Shirley you can't be serious?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 01:55 AM)
Oh he said to the public that this team doesn't suck? Woah boys, where do I get playoff tickets? Stop the presses, this changes everything!

Shirley you can't be serious?

Did you even read the article? Do you miss the obvious clues including the thread your posting in(not to mention the one below it)? I can see you just like to ignore information. Theo said the same thing about the Cubs weeks ago...they are meeting with Russell Martin next week but that's probably all bull crap right? Maybe do some actual research...heck a 5 second google search found that article.

The quote is "Surely you can't be serious" btw

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 04:01 AM)

I am not disagreeing with you and am agreeing.

the point of the bolded is, the sox need a sp, so yeah he could hold the spot open

for Rodon. in addition the spot needs to be held for a possible injury situation or even

when Danks goes in 2 yrs. are the sox going to fill that spot with 1 or the prize prospects

that is developing in the minors.

my assessment is Samardzija will be too much up front in trade to be the answer.

in a scheme where words may have double meaning, so the word "Rental" can mean

anything. from scouring the waiver list for players, signing a player to a 1 yr contract,

trading for a player with the intent of trading him later. I am sure there are more meanings

than the few I posted.

when Hahn said "short term fix" does not necessary mean rentals. it could mean anything.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 04:02 AM)
Leslie Nielsen quote.

Airplane!!!

As for Hahn's quote. What else is he supposed to say? " no, we won't be able to compete next year, sorry.". Its PR bulls*** for right now. On paper, no team with that many holes is a legit contender next year. This does not mean the Sox cannot become contenders but the Sox have a rebuilding team, with a rebuilding farm, with plenty of money to spend on limited quality FA's and not much of a history of spending on multiple big contracts in FA. For right now, the sox being 2015 contenders does not add up although I think they will fill a few holes and continue improving in 2015.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
Airplane!!!

As for Hahn's quote. What else is he supposed to say? " no, we won't be able to compete next year, sorry.". Its PR bulls*** for right now. On paper, no team with that many holes is a legit contender next year. This does not mean the Sox cannot become contenders but the Sox have a rebuilding team, with a rebuilding farm, with plenty of money to spend on limited quality FA's and not much of a history of spending on multiple big contracts in FA. For right now, the sox being 2015 contenders does not add up although I think they will fill a few holes and continue improving in 2015.

I disagree completely and for this reason. how many moves, whether trades, waiver pick up,

did Hahn make last yr. I remember someone mentioning it before, but I can't remember.

the sox made a run for it and yeah it fell short. but it revitalize the fan base and the interest of

the sox nation let alone the Nat'l sports news. low and behold, the sox can make even a bigger

splash next yr with smart moves.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
I disagree completely and for this reason. how many moves, whether trades, waiver pick up,

did Hahn make last yr. I remember someone mentioning it before, but I can't remember.

the sox made a run for it and yeah it fell short. but it revitalize the fan base and the interest of

the sox nation let alone the Nat'l sports news. low and behold, the sox can make even a bigger

splash next yr with smart moves.

Uh, dude, attendance and TV viewing were both down last year while the team finished 9 games below .500. The Sox were so bad in 2013 that there really was nowhere to go but up in 2014 after signing Abreu.

Think of it this way. If not for Abreu, the Sox likely have another 63 game season in the win column in 2014. Abreu offensively carried the entire team all season long. I could be exaggerating a bit but you get the point.

Back to Shark. I said it before and I'll say it again. If the Sox are going to use any of their precious few prized prospects, it should be for a pitcher that fits the mold of " the core" the Sox are assembling. Early to mid twenties, team control for at least three/four years, reasonable salary with the potential for an extension at some point etc. Shark is everything but that.

There are MUCH better options to spend top prospects on.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
Uh, dude, attendance and TV viewing were both down last year while the team finished 9 games below .500. The Sox were so bad in 2013 that there really was nowhere to go but up in 2014 after signing Abreu.

Think of it this way. If not for Abreu, the Sox likely have another 63 game season in the win column in 2014. Abreu offensively carried the entire team all season long. I could be exaggerating a bit but you get the point.

Back to Shark. I said it before and I'll say it again. If the Sox are going to use any of their precious few prized prospects, it should be for a pitcher that fits the mold of " the core" the Sox are assembling. Early to mid twenties, team control for at least three/four years, reasonable salary with the potential for an extension at some point etc. Shark is everything but that.

I think you mean 16 games under .500, but they probably averaged 3-6 games under .500 for two-thirds of the season.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)

I agree with everything you said, even about Abreu. he was the most single handed

reason what got everybody excited again in the sox.

2014 will be the new platform and to build form there. the sox can make the playoff

next yr and I am sure next yr the fans will be there in the stands. if the sox makes the

right smart moves. not the quick fix one. I just hope the sox don't waste the farm as

KW has done or did.