Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
If Oakland is agreeing to a 72 hour extension window, Samardzija is going to cost you Tim Anderson (plus more). The idea is that you can get him as a rental and either agree to an extension later in the year or get a first or second round pick for him after he leaves.

Yeah I guess I could see that.

I texted my cousin who's best friends with Jeff to see if he can get any info out of him.

I think the sox would have to know if they trade for him they are getting a extension done. But the million dollar question is are the going to pony up the money and years for a pitcher like Samardzija or someone else. Since the last pitcher they gave the years and money to was danks and we know how that went. They never seem to give out big contracts to pitchers and I think they are afraid to. Tanaka would have been an exception because of his age. So unless they break that trend we might be looking at one or 2 yr deals with the likes of paulino in Mccarthy or Masterson which I don't want to see.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
If the are going to use Anderson to get a starting pitcher, I would hope that starting pitcher is better, younger and more cost effective than Samardjiza.

Absolutely. I'd rather keep the prospect and just spend a little extra and sign Lester.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Absolutely. I'd rather keep the prospect and just spend a little extra and sign Lester.

But, but, we can't have that many lefties in the starting rotation! It breaks some imaginary rule, somewhere. :P

Seriously though. I would rather give Bassitt a shot over trading top prospects for Samardjiza.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:18 PM)
But, but, we can't have that many lefties in the starting rotation! It breaks some imaginary rule, somewhere. :P

Seriously though. I would rather give Bassitt a shot over trading top prospects for Samardjiza.

I'd be fine with that if they trade Danks though

Sale

Samardzija

Quitana

Noesi

Bassitt

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)

Sale

Samardzija

Quitana

Noesi

Bassitt

Yeah, if we could get some hypothetical magic team to take Danks's salary on, that'd be stellar, but let's face it, the odds of that happening are extremely low.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
. Adding a #3 like Samardjzia makes the rotation pretty tough.

For 1 year on a team that doesn't figure to contend. meanwhile we sent away 2 of the 3 possible 2nd base candidates plus reserve infield candidates. 1 hole filled for 1 year and others created

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
Even being well aware that part of the reason the organization soured on him was due to his mechanics, I'd absolutely love it if they were able to bring Brandon McCarthy back into the organization.

And with his injury history, I would say the Sox have been proven right.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)

Sale

Samardzija

Quitana

Noesi

Bassitt

Sorry man but Samardjiza is going to be 30 in January, going into his last season before FA and will cost BIG money in his next contract not to mention the cost of prospects just to trade for him. Theres no way I could ever get on board with the idea of trading for Samardjiza or offering him a contract.

As was mentioned already, I'd keep the prospects and go after Lester instead. Just my preference is all.

There is entirely too much hype surrounding the topic of the Sox needing a RH starting pitcher. I don't buy it. The Sox need starters that can get outs and keep the team in the game regardless of what hand the ball comes out of.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)
I think he'd be asking for 4 yrs/$70M, and I don't think I'd do that. I'd much prefer something like 4 yrs/$56M.

I'd have no problem giving Jeff Samardzija $17.5 mill per year over 5 years. I think the problem is that he's going to get closer to $20 mill per year and he's going to ask for 6 years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
I'd have no problem giving Jeff Samardzija $17.5 mill per year over 5 years. I think the problem is that he's going to get closer to $20 mill per year and he's going to ask for 6 years.

I would be good with even going to $20 mil with him, but I'm not sure it would even take that.

People are concerned that he is turning 30, but he does not have the typical usage pitchers have his age. He only has 100 more MLB innings than Sale, less than half of Jon Lester's innings total, and wasn't abused in college like many SP due to being a two sport athlete. He has a very young arm and has shown no hint of injury.

If an extension is in play I would absolutely consider dealing Anderson for him.

QUOTE (shakes @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
I would be good with even going to $20 mil with him, but I'm not sure it would even take that.

People are concerned that he is turning 30, but he does not have the typical usage pitchers have his age. He only has 100 more MLB innings than Sale, less than half of Jon Lester's innings total, and wasn't abused in college like many SP due to being a two sport athlete. He has a very young arm and has shown no hint of injury.

If an extension is in play I would absolutely consider dealing Anderson for him.

777.2 MLB innings plus 485.1 MiLB innings equals 1263 career professional innings. Chris Sale has 685 innings in his professional career. Samardzija's arm is not as young as people think either.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
777.2 MLB innings plus 485.1 MiLB innings equals 1263 career professional innings. Chris Sale has 685 innings in his professional career. Samardzija's arm is not as young as people think either.

Splitting sports for all of those years does help in his case.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)

You are not going to find many pitchers with less mileage about to hit free agency, with his health track record. With the contracts Sale and Q have, you can afford to take a risk on a pitcher for a larger contract, and I like his value better than the free agent options.

QUOTE (shakes @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
You are not going to find many pitchers with less mileage about to hit free agency, with his health track record. With the contracts Sale and Q have, you can afford to take a risk on a pitcher for a larger contract, and I like his value better than the free agent options.

Even so, when has a team ever said "I'm really glad I gave that guy a long term contract valued at $17-20 mill per year"?

At 4 years, I'd love Samardzija. At 6 years, it's not a good gamble.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Even so, when has a team ever said "I'm really glad I gave that guy a long term contract valued at $17-20 mill per year"?

At 4 years, I'd love Samardzija. At 6 years, it's not a good gamble.

Sure, many large pitching contracts have been painful, but I think Samardzija is a bit unique. And 4 years just won't get it done. If you want to compete in the front line pitching space, you have to take on risk. I think there is a very real chance he is healthy and good for the next 4-5 years. If that's the case you are looking at a rotation that could potentially be what Detroit has had the last 5 years, with Abreu's prime anchoring the lineup.