Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Signing him as a free agent still means we are giving up a prospect to get him. There is a pretty good chance our 1st pick is unprotected next year, and he will get a qualifying offer for sure.

Yes, for FOUR or so YEARS of his services.

Not ONE season.

Big difference.

And most draft choices, other than the top 5 or so, aren't top prospects yet. Lesser value.

And did someone actually suggest Rodon? None of Rodon, Danish, Anderson or Montas should be anywhere near a Shark trade.

Beane made a bad trade, as subsequent trades last year proved.

Did 1.5 years of Price yield a top prospect? No

But for some reason we need to give one for 1 year of the inferior Shark.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
He's actually gotten progressively worse every single year since then, with last year being hands down his worst season, both offensively and defensively. He shouldn't even be offered arbitration with how bad he performed last year.

And 2012 was not a successful season either. They won 85 games, which was where Cleveland finished last year, well outside of the playoffs. Like you just said, selling out the entire minor leagues in order to get to 85 wins isn't a very good move.They also only got to that point through quality defense...which as we all have seen has absolutely vanished with this team the subsequent 2 years.

So they didn't contend in 2012 with Tank in LF in 2012?

Steamer has him at about 2012 level overall in 2015.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
What I don't understand is people still rip KW for gutting the farm system when he traded forgetble players for productive ones, now they want to trade the prospects they have been raving about for perhaps one yer of Heyward or Samardjia.

What I don't understand is people who complain about the team bargain shopping, yet don't want to bring in front line talent when it is there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
What I don't understand is people who complain about the team bargain shopping, yet don't want to bring in front line talent when it is there.

Because it is an outrageously poor use of resources for a 73 team, one with still a bottom 1/3 farm system at that, to pay premium prices to rent players for 1 year. In fact, this type of move is what CAUSES teams to become 73 win teams with bad farm systems (see Jackson, E. for our two top pitching prospects).

My guess is the ones who hate bargain shopping are the ones who would love to load the wagon for one year of Shark.

Somebody will throw a decent prospect at Oakland. But it won't be an elite one. And it will be a team that plans on contending that has a deep farm (like Boston).

And what is with this love for the Shark?

Heck, sign Shields.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
My guess is the ones who hate bargain shopping are the ones who would love to load the wagon for one year of Shark.

He was replying to a person who regularly complains about how bargain shopping is a waste of money and who complained about people wanting to trade for this guy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 08:45 PM)
I would think if the Sox actually traded for this dope, Alexei would be part of the package. Oakland needs a SS real bad for 2015.

there is way too many variables involve esp if he doesn't sign on the dotted line.

there are other options avail, fa's where it would only cost a pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 03:54 PM)
But it's virtually impossible that Rodon would outpitch Samardzija this year in a 200+ inning season. If you're all in on 2015, Rodon isn't a middle of the rotation option.

Im not giving up Alexei for shark or top prospect I rather get johnny cueto

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
Where is this all-in talk coming from?

What else would you call trading for a guy like Samardzija? 1 year remaining on his deal, already traded by the Cubs since they didn't think he'd sign an extension, on a team that was a playoff caliber team last year.