Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

Would not be surprised if Reddick is part of a proposed deal. Reddick and Shark's 2015 salaries would still allow the Sox enough money to go after Robertson to save games on t south side. Plus Reddick would shift Avi over to LF. Reddick is an upgrade over Avi in RF and Avi is an upgrade over Tank in LF, win win.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
We need Semien. We need a 2b and a utility infielder. We aren't solid at3rd anyway. He has upside.

They can have Wilkins and that AAA 2b we used last year ( got hurt late)

I cant think of many things that have less value than a utility IF and a 2B.

Of those players that can be traded, the only two I do not want the Sox to deal at all are Semien and Anderson. They could frankly trade anybody else and I wouldn't care at all.

Of course, "anybody else" may not be enough to get the deal done. I don't know if you could throw together some combination of Sanchez, Johnson, Montas, Danish and Hawkins that could get it done.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
I cant think of many things that have less value than a utility IF and a 2B.

Semien's a good hitter who plays all over the field, has great athleticism, and just has the look and instincts of a baseball player. This aside from the numbers he put up in the minors, which are phenomenal.

Also, even though I advocated for using him as such, a $4 million backup LF/RF/1B that can't hit righties, can't hit lefties, doesn't play defense, and isn't very fast has a hell of a lot less value than that, but the Sox felt so inclined to offer Dayan Viciedo a contract too. That's a hell of a lot less valuable than what Semien can provide you.

Like I said, Semien makes way too much sense for the A's in this deal and I hate the idea of that, but I think I'm the only one. You have to trade good players to get good players and all that jazz. I still hate the idea of giving up either Anderson or Semien.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:16 PM)
Of course, "anybody else" may not be enough to get the deal done. I don't know if you could throw together some combination of Sanchez, Johnson, Montas, Danish and Hawkins that could get it done.

Then move on. Samardzija is a good pitcher, but if you can't him for Micah Johnson, Frank Montas, and Courney Hawkins, then you move on. That offer is more than fair and offers plenty of value both in the short and long term.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
I dont buy that at all. The Sox are in on him for longer term than that.

I just meant that most tweets and articles from big name writers expect Jeff S. to test free agency and it would shock them all if the Sox locked him up. It would shock me also I must admit.

Then move on. Samardzija is a good pitcher, but if you can't him for Micah Johnson, Frank Montas, and Courney Hawkins, then you move on. That offer is more than fair and offers plenty of value both in the short and long term.

I agree with you about not giving up Semien. I think I disagree in that I'd be willing to give up Anderson if Oakland threw in a prospect coming back with Shark. Or if the deal somehow expanded to include Reddick.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:21 PM)

Even that is too steep unless you're sure about extending Samardzija's contract

Semien has never shown that he's going to be great with the glove. And he's older. So it all comes down to his offense.

Now, I'll grant that the major league #s were absolutely nothing like the minor league ones. But we're basically at the point where he's been around the minors and back, so this is the time (and when it comes to establishing value, last year, well, was the time)

It's not late in his career, but it's late as far as finding out what will be The Thing he's awesome at.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)
Semien has never shown that he's going to be great with the glove. And he's older. So it all comes down to his offense.

Now, I'll grant that the major league #s were absolutely nothing like the minor league ones. But we're basically at the point where he's been around the minors and back, so this is the time (and when it comes to establishing value, last year, well, was the time)

It's not late in his career, but it's late as far as finding out what will be The Thing he's awesome at.

I think with Semien, using the 80 scale, you are looking at a 35 today, who could peak out at a 50.

With Anderson I think you are looking at an advanced bat, and a learning glove. I'd call him a 30 right now, but a guy who could peak at 65 or 70.

Sanchez strikes me as a good defender, no bat (thinking more like Guillen in his playing days). Call him a 35 now, who is probably a peak 45, but more likely 40.

Saladino, I haven't seen any of, so I won't judge there.

Micah Johnson sounds like he could peak around Otis Nixon/Lance Johnson land, with incredible speed, and not a whole lot else. A little more pop than that, but not much.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:25 PM)

He made a few throwing errors because he was rushing the throw. That seems like a fairly correctable problem, and he absolutely showed sufficient range at the MLB level. Look at the minor league numbers if you question his ability to handle positions defensively.

Marcus Semien is not older. He turned 24 in September. Come on now.

Marcus Semien has 326 plate appearances in the major leagues. The White Sox have guaranteed Dayan Viciedo $4 million based on 1798 career plate appearances of him continually getting worse. They can give a guy who put up better minor league numbers, shows more athleticism and versatility, is cheaper, and is younger more of a chance than that.

Also, why do you need someone to find "The Thing he's awesome at?" Players that are perfectly capable of doing everything fairly well but nothing great consistently have 10 to 15 year careers in the major leagues. That can absolutely be Marcus Semien.

Like I said, I understand if he goes, and I will still be upset, but none of the above justifies it. The only part that justifies it is that the Sox feel he was the least they could give up to get Samardzija and they felt Samardzija was necessary. I disagree with them in that regard, but so be it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
If they can come to an extension, I am game. If not, pass.

I think this is really the bottom line. Taking Smard on a one year plan is acting in a desperation type manner. You don't give up talent or even established stars for a one year rental if you are the Sox

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:09 PM)
Would not be surprised if Reddick is part of a proposed deal. Reddick and Shark's 2015 salaries would still allow the Sox enough money to go after Robertson to save games on t south side. Plus Reddick would shift Avi over to LF. Reddick is an upgrade over Avi in RF and Avi is an upgrade over Tank in LF, win win.

got my fingers crossed for all of this to happen

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
Semien's a good hitter who plays all over the field, has great athleticism, and just has the look and instincts of a baseball player. This aside from the numbers he put up in the minors, which are phenomenal.

Also, even though I advocated for using him as such, a $4 million backup LF/RF/1B that can't hit righties, can't hit lefties, doesn't play defense, and isn't very fast has a hell of a lot less value than that, but the Sox felt so inclined to offer Dayan Viciedo a contract too. That's a hell of a lot less valuable than what Semien can provide you.

Like I said, Semien makes way too much sense for the A's in this deal and I hate the idea of that, but I think I'm the only one. You have to trade good players to get good players and all that jazz. I still hate the idea of giving up either Anderson or Semien.

Those positions are just too easy to fill IMO especially when looking at adding a top of the rotation RHP

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
Those positions are just too easy to fill IMO especially when looking at adding a top of the rotation RHP

Then sign Brandon McCarthy. He's slightly inferior and doesn't anything other than money.

Those positions may be "easy" to fill but the Sox have struggled filling them for 5+ years now. Their backup plan for LF and RF right now is seemingly a guy who has a sub .300 OBP for his career and has never been regarded as good defensively. If Semien goes, their plan at 2B is a guy whose role on an MLB team should be that of a utility player or a player who has dealt with injuries seemingly every year of his career thus far. Hell, even their 3B is mediocre defensively and absolutely brutal against lefties. Are you telling me that you couldn't see their current options failing and burning the Sox because they have a lack of depth again?

At the very least, we know Semien is going to be average to slightly below average at the plate, and I think there's a strong chance he's way better than that. Trading a talented kid because the positions he plays are "easy to fill" is the reason the Sox haven't made the playoffs in 6 years and have only done so twice in the last 15 years.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:33 PM)
got my fingers crossed for all of this to happen

Its definitely in the rhealm of possibility. Reddick in RF, Shark in the #2/#3 spot in the rotation with Robertson closing games would make some Sox fans very happy.