Dodgers OFs

GGajewski18

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Do you rate Arruebarrena ahead of either Semien or Carlos Sanchez?

Just thinking Arruebarrena may be more of a true SS, and a decent placeholder for Tim Anderson.

I really like Sanchez as a 2B, and hope he gets an opportunity to play while Micah Johnson starts the year in Charlotte.

Semien may be a nice bargaining chip this winter, or he can be a super sub bench player.

I've read a few different articles about Arruebarrena and they said the same thing, Arruebarrena's offense needs work but he is supposedly a defensive whiz. If the Sox received Arruebarrena as part of a package, Arruebarrena immediately becomes the Sox best bet at playing SS in 2015.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
Because he'd be more valuable to the White Sox than John Danks.

Thats not true. He is a replacement level player that is signed for two years and $36M after Danks contract comes off the books. Danks also plays a position where the Sox should be able to replace him with an internal option about the time his contract expires, until that time he has value as an innings eater. Cy Young he isn't, but he can give you a league average number of quality starts. De Aza makes more sense as a signing than trading anything for Ethier at this point.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 03:39 PM)
Thats not true. He is a replacement level player that is signed for two years and $36M after Danks contract comes off the books. Danks also plays a position where the Sox should be able to replace him with an internal option about the time his contract expires, until that time he has value as an innings eater. Cy Young he isn't, but he can give you a league average number of quality starts. De Aza makes more sense as a signing than trading anything for Ethier at this point.

You think that Ethier is bad based on 1 subpar season where he didn't get regular playing time. Many of the rest of us look at his consistently excellent 6 years prior to that. Some others also have ill-feelings about the word "platoon"- a "platoon" player is a bad player- rather than noting that a guy with a career .885 OPS against righties would be getting 500 plate appearances against righties.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)

De Aza may make more sense, but I disagree that Danks is likely to be noticeably better than someone like Scott Carroll. If Ethier can put up a league average line against righties to keep Viciedo or Jordan Danks out of the lineup, he's more useful than John Danks to us.

A bench player is a bad player who only comes in as a sub.

A platoon player is a player who can't hit against one side of pitcher but is effective, starter quality, against the other side.

Ethier cannot hit lefties. IF last year was an anomaly (big IF), he's a platoon player.

He's 32 - ignore decline at your risk.

The enduring love for declining veterans is beyond me

If we're trading Alexei, trade him for the best package of young players that we can get.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
How about:

Sox get:

Kemp

legit prospect

Dodgers get:

Danks

long term salary relief

Matt Kemp has $107 million on his deal remaining. John Danks has $29 million on his deal remaining. Are you willing to take on $78 million in commitments over 5 years for Matt Kemp + a "legit prospect"? That's a hard sell to me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:11 PM)
Matt Kemp has $107 million on his deal remaining. John Danks has $29 million on his deal remaining. Are you willing to take on $78 million in commitments over 5 years for Matt Kemp + a "legit prospect"? That's a hard sell to me.

I would do that in a second. Kemp at less than what Russell Martin just got, AND a "legit prospect" for essentially nothing? If Kemp would play LF. Hell yeah. The Dodgers would never make that deal.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)
I would do that in a second. Kemp at less than what Russell Martin just got, AND a "legit prospect" for essentially nothing? If Kemp would play LF. Hell yeah. The Dodgers would never make that deal.

With Kemp's injury history I think there's a good chance the Dodgers would jump at that.

To put some numbers on the comparison you just made, last 2 seasons Martin 9.4 fWAR, Kemp 1.4.

Last 3, martin 11.4 fWAR, kemp 4.6 fWAR.

Even if you include Kemp's monster, near MVP 2011 season, Martin has outperformed him over the last 4. In addition, Martin has been far more consistent, not putting up any negative value seasons. Kemp did that in 2010 and 2013.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 04:25 PM)
With Kemp's injury history I think there's a good chance the Dodgers would jump at that.

To put some numbers on the comparison you just made, last 2 seasons Martin 9.4 fWAR, Kemp 1.4.

Last 3, martin 11.4 fWAR, kemp 4.6 fWAR.

Even if you include Kemp's monster, near MVP 2011 season, Martin has outperformed him over the last 4. In addition, Martin has been far more consistent, not putting up any negative value seasons. Kemp did that in 2010 and 2013.

Again, I think there a couple teams in the majors right now who would consider taking Matt Kemp for free right now. The White Sox should not be one of those teams, but the Yankees, Mariners, or Cubs could fit that model right now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:14 PM)

A better comp for Kemp (comp4Kemp) is probably Victor Martinez considering their lack of defensive value.

here is an example of what some of the posters are saying. Kemp + a really

good prospects.

ok that is equal to this, Kemp + Corey Seager for

Danks and an essentially nothing prospects.

did i get this right?

does anyone think the dodgers will do this?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:10 AM)
LA would riot like there was a second Rodney King verdict.

Looking at a Danks-Kemp swap as the basis of a trade, the Sox would need to add much more talent and LA would have to add some cash. Seager isn't going anywhere. He's going to be a star and the Dodgers don't need to move him.

ohhhh that is too funny. i like it like that. (latin allstars song)

but with ref to what you wrote. that is the point i was trying to make. it is a

better visualization to put name in those ideas.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 18, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
I wouldn't put it past the FO. Baseball runs on offense and Kemp is the powerful, athletic outfielder they were never able to convert on.

That's a monstrosity of a commitment and I'm just not sure the Sox are ready for it. If he didn't mind being a full time player - part-time outfielder, part time DH - it gets a little more bearable, and if you can work Danks into the deal somehow, it makes a little more sense, and then you can maybe include a couple of prospects and get a little money and maybe you're cooking with something.

Otherwise, it's just hard for me to fit that peg into the White Sox hole (that's what she said)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2014 -> 12:23 AM)
That's a monstrosity of a commitment and I'm just not sure the Sox are ready for it. If he didn't mind being a full time player - part-time outfielder, part time DH - it gets a little more bearable, and if you can work Danks into the deal somehow, it makes a little more sense, and then you can maybe include a couple of prospects and get a little money and maybe you're cooking with something.

Otherwise, it's just hard for me to fit that peg into the White Sox hole (that's what she said)

and size never really matter. :o

totally unrelated to any discussions going on.

the sox is fixing themselves quite nicely. nice quiet type of players, I think.

but sometime the team needs a spark to get the team rolling. a fire cracker

type of a player. a player who has a sort of an edge or attitude.

I am wondering if Kemp can be that positive type of player.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
totally unrelated to any discussions going on.

the sox is fixing themselves quite nicely. nice quiet type of players, I think.

but sometime the team needs a spark to get the team rolling. a fire cracker

type of a player. a player who has a sort of an edge or attitude.

I am wondering if Kemp can be that positive type of player.

All depends on Kemp's outlook after being traded. Would he whimper and whine like a Lil b**** after being traded or would he see the positives of hitting in a lineup of Eaton, Alexei, Abreu, LaRoche, Kemp. He would be a damn blind fool if he does not see the potential there.

The problem with taking on Kemp's salary is you can forget about signing a good solid RH pitcher for the rotation unless the Sox expand the current payroll expectations.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 22, 20. -> 10:46 AM)
All depends on Kemp's outlook after being traded. Would he whimper and whine like a Lil b**** after being traded or would he see the positives of hitting in a lineup of Eaton, Alexei, Abreu, LaRoche, Kemp. He would be a damn blind fool if he does not see the potential there.

The problem with taking on Kemp's salary is you can forget about signing a good solid RH pitcher for the rotation unless the Sox expand the current payroll expectations.

Danks and Viciedo could likely be gone too.

Eaton CF

Ramirez SS

Abreu 1B/DH

LaRoche DH/1B

Kemp LF

Gillaspie 3B

Garcia RF

Flowers C

Semien/Sanchez/Johnson 2B

Rotation:

Sale

Quintana

RH SP

Noesi

Filler until Rodon comes up (maybe a high upside arm in a Viciedo deal?)

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
Danks and Viciedo could likely be gone too.

Eaton CF

Ramirez SS

Abreu 1B/DH

LaRoche DH/1B

Kemp LF

Gillaspie 3B

Garcia RF

Flowers C

Semien/Sanchez/Johnson 2B

Rotation:

Sale

Quintana

RH SP

Noesi

Filler until Rodon comes up (maybe a high upside arm in a Viciedo deal?)

I'm sorry, but I must have missed something. How did we get Kemp, and still have Alexei?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
Yep I posted that before I realized Kemp's 2014 wasn't injury prone. Kemp was very good haha Alexei definitely goes in a deal

i really thought i miss something, i had to work today and i been out of the loop.

by this part i thought a trade went down.

whew