40 Man Roster

GGajewski18

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
Zero chance. Last behind (in no particular order): Semien, Sanchez, Saladino, Garcia and other (stop gap filler from free agency). Or Diaz just replaces any other backup minor league infielders we may have lost to minor league free agency

Do you know for a fact that Diaz is not a good defensive SS?

I wish someone would find a scouting report on his defense. Does anyone subscribe to a paying service that has the scouting report?

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
This is the best info on his defense that I can find:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/gett...-loving-gloves/

It's from last month and states: " has a plus arm he used to lead Pacific Coast League shortstops in assists (325), putouts (156) and double plays (70)".

If we don't acquire someone else to play short IF we trade Alexei, I'm open to the competition

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
This is the best info on his defense that I can find:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/gett...-loving-gloves/

It's from last month and states: " has a plus arm he used to lead Pacific Coast League shortstops in assists (325), putouts (156) and double plays (70)".

I'm guessing being as big as he is 6'4" 220 he doesn't quite have the range to be an elite SS as he was -17 below league average for assists. There may be other factors such as a pitching staff that doesn't induce ground balls. Big arm though but also seemed like he makes a decent amount of errors, usually 20+ playing full time. This is all just a deduction from the stats on my part.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
Look at Diaz' splits last year, at AAA:

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?playe...ing/2014/MINORS

That was very good production vs. RHP, for a SS.

If he is a good defender, he should definitely be in the mix, if Alexei is traded.

Used to be a switch hitter, might've given up on it but yes horrid against lefties. Very good against righties.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 07:06 AM)
Any word yet on who is getting booted from the 40 to make room for LaRoche?

Not that I've seen, but I'd have to think it is Wilkins, given the role LaRoche plays. Even if you set Wilkins loose, you will have Ravelo in AAA next year, plus a guy like Black or Marrero, so there will be plenty of insurance in Charlotte.

Not that I've seen, but I'd have to think it is Wilkins, given the role LaRoche plays. Even if you set Wilkins loose, you will have Ravelo in AAA next year, plus a guy like Black or Marrero, so there will be plenty of insurance in Charlotte.

If the Sox DFA Wilkins, does anybody even claim him?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
And he looked horrible last year in his stint in the Majors.

He's not the first guy to ever look bad in his first stint in the majors either. I'm not advocating Andy Wilkins as a full time player, but he looked like he was behind and slow on pitches because his timing was off. I think given enough time, he would turn into a 100-110 wRC+ against RHP, a guy who hits 15-20 homers over a full season as a platoon partner, but that's not valuable enough as a 1B.

• 3 weeks later...

Added to the Sox 40-man since the last day of the season:

Ravelo, Saladino, Smith, Montas, Garcia, Ynoa, Shuck, Brantly, Duke, Samardzija, Robertson, Laroche, Jennings

Dropped from the Sox 40-man since last day of the season:

Ravelo, Semien, Bassitt, Phegley, De Los Santos, Thompson, Carroll, Snodgress, Rienzo, Taylor, Belisario, Konerko, Lindstrom, Paulino, Sierra, Mitchell

I'll take that trade.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
Added to the Sox 40-man since the last day of the season:

Ravelo, Saladino, Smith, Montas, Garcia, Ynoa, Shuck, Brantly, Duke, Samardzija, Robertson, Laroche, Jennings

Dropped from the Sox 40-man since last day of the season:

Ravelo, Semien, Bassitt, Phegley, De Los Santos, Thompson, Carroll, Snodgress, Rienzo, Taylor, Belisario, Konerko, Lindstrom, Paulino, Sierra, Mitchell

I'll take that trade.

Take Ravelo off the add list. But yes, that is much improved.

• 2 months later...

With the recent injury to Sale, Beck and/or Rodon could be added to the 40 man. Sox are currently at 40 right now, but Nate Jones will probably be going on the 60 day DL once the season starts.

With our recent minor league signees of Crain, Soto, Albers, Kottaras, Penny, Micah Johnson, Rodon, Beck, that is a lot of guys that could potentially be on the 40 man within the year.

My question is, who is most expendable on the 40 man for these possible players above that could certainly make an impact this year.

I see Cleto, Fernandez, Surkamp, Brantly, Wilkins, and Shuck as the only possible options to be outrighted. What are your guys thoughts?