Jason Castro

peppers312

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Castro has been speculated on for a year now so its no surprise a sports writer has written speculation that the Sox could be interested in Castro. I'm sure the Sox and many other teams are interested in Castro, does not mean the Astros will/ will not trade him.

If the Sox were to try and upgrade at catcher I hope its for Grandal.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Castro has been speculated on for a year now so its no surprise a sports writer has written speculation that the Sox could be interested in Castro. I'm sure the Sox and many other teams are interested in Castro, does not mean the Astros will/ will not trade him.

If the Sox were to try and upgrade at catcher I hope its for Grandal.

I hope it's for a good defender. Bat is gravy for me.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
I hope it's for a good defender. Bat is gravy for me.

What changed your mind? You used to be pretty gung ho for Salty?

The concept of pitch framing makes a lot of sense, and the better framers should be worth a lot more than the poorer ones. I just think there are too many factors that cause some strikes to be balls and some balls to be strikes other than the catcher. The two different formulas I have seen used, most of the top 5 are the same except for order, but below that, there is a wide variance. Flowers is terrible in one and one of the better framers in another.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)

Because, at the time, he had a reputation as an above average defender. This past year, he graded out as one of the worst receivers out there. I'm guessing he probably was always worse than his reputation and that we're just now gaining more insight into how to measure it.

But yeah, my desire for Salty was always predicated on the probably erroneous idea that he was at least a slightly above-average defender overall.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)

The concept of pitch framing makes a lot of sense, and the better framers should be worth a lot more than the poorer ones. I just think there are too many factors that cause some strikes to be balls and some balls to be strikes other than the catcher. The two different formulas I have seen used, most of the top 5 are the same except for order, but below that, there is a wide variance. Flowers is terrible in one and one of the better framers in another.

I feel like everything I see referenced comes from StatCorner: http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

Do you remember which other sources you've seen? I feel like Baseball prospectus had their own but I can't find anything other than Team Rankings

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Because, at the time, he had a reputation as an above average defender. This past year, he graded out as one of the worst receivers out there. I'm guessing he probably was always worse than his reputation and that we're just now gaining more insight into how to measure it.

But yeah, my desire for Salty was always predicated on the probably erroneous idea that he was at least a slightly above-average defender overall.

Castro is better than Flowers, but IMO, there are bigger fish to fry. I'd keep all the trade assets available for the bigger fish and if you keep getting shutdown, then go after this upgrade.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
I feel like everything I see referenced comes from StatCorner: http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

Do you remember which other sources you've seen? I feel like Baseball prospectus had their own but I can't find anything other than Team Rankings

Someone had one in one of the threads here a week or so ago and Flowers was #11. And that jived with one I saw around midseason showing the same. Flowers awful/Flowers really good.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Castro is better than Flowers, but IMO, there are bigger fish to fry. I'd keep all the trade assets available for the bigger fish and if you keep getting shutdown, then go after this upgrade.

I agree with that. A deal to make if you miss on your OF/SP targets.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:16 PM)
I agree with that. A deal to make if you miss on your OF/SP targets.

And if you get those targets but still have something left over the Astros want and you are willing to dump.

I have the feeling this offseason will either really excite people or really bum people out. I don't think there will be much meh.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
And if you get those targets but still have something left over the Astros want and you are willing to dump.

I have the feeling this offseason will either really excite people or really bum people out. I don't think there will be much meh.

I agree with this. The FA class next year for pitchers is going to be pretty damn good. I wouldn't be upset if Sox holder out until then to make a move for a righty starter.

With Castro, I figure he can't be worth a whole lot coming off a down year. How many more years does of control with him?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/11/luhn...s-outfield.html

An executive with another club said that the asking price is high on Jason Castro. Somewhat interestingly, the GM noted that a Castro-Conger duo presents some platoon issues. “A right-handed hitter complements Jason,” said Luhnow. “Conger’s better from the left side.”

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
Oh boy oh oh boy. Come on Hahn, please for the love of god get this done somehow without crippling us.

I like Castro, but he is a FA after 2016. I'd only be interested in the price was something like Sanchez + lottery ticket, and that seems like unlikely.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/451...or-jason-castro

how is a kid who hit .222 last season with 151 in 465 ABs any type of improvement over Flowers? because of his age?

not the type of news that WOWs me. :/

No.

Not a priority. Sox need hitters in the lineup. Marginal upgrades from terrible to possibly just bad are not a good use of resources.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
No.

Not a priority. Sox need hitters in the lineup. Marginal upgrades from terrible to possibly just bad are not a good use of resources.

Except that Jason Castro is a potential all-star at his peak. Plus having two very capable catchers is not a bad thing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Except that Jason Castro is a potential all-star at his peak. Plus having two very capable catchers is not a bad thing.

Sure, but not when you have no #3, or 4 starter; not when you have no DH or LF.

And not when you still have a thin farm system.

It doesn't address priorities.

He's also under control for only 2 more years; he was also terrible offensively last year (OPS of .651) and in his good year, he Ks a ton. We don't know how good he is at calling a game.

This would be bad move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)

With him being pretty close to FA and off a down season, I'm not opposed, but the trick is that the price shouldn't be that high - someone with talent but who the org doesn't like and wants to move out of the way for whatever reason.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
Sure, but not when you have no #3, or 4 starter; not when you have no DH or LF.

And not when you still have a thin farm system.

It doesn't address priorities.

He's also under control for only 2 more years; he was also terrible offensively last year (OPS of .651) and in his good year, he Ks a ton. We don't know how good he is at calling a game.

This would be bad move.

Depending on the price, this could be an absolute steal. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with inquiring.

And just because a player strikes out does not mean he should not be brought in. Guys strike out a lot these days.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
With him being pretty close to FA and off a down season, I'm not opposed, but the trick is that the price shouldn't be that high - someone with talent but who the org doesn't like and wants to move out of the way for whatever reason.

Right, plus if you bring him in, you may be able to sign him to an extension. That would not be a bad thing.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 03:56 PM)
Depending on the price, this could be an absolute steal. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with inquiring.

And just because a player strikes out does not mean he should not be brought in. Guys strike out a lot these days.

Right, plus if you bring him in, you may be able to sign him to an extension. That would not be a bad thing.

Oh yea, another Teahan deal.

REally cheap, fine. When is the last time the Sox got a player like that really cheap. Sox will pay his 2013 price - top dollar, if they get him. Astros aren't going to let him go really cheap anyway.

I'm just sick of these 140K guys anyway; you guys want more of that action, fine.