Sale switching Sox?

SoCalSox

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 07:19 AM)
I don't. My gut says they used the prospects to get a reliever because they will use FA to get 2 starters. I thought they would trade Ramirez + big cash for pitching but w Ortiz announcement they can stash him at 1B for a year then move him to DH.

I think they go out and get a starter in FA and then add another via trade. Their rotation was all sorts of bad last year.

12:19

Comment From Seth

Kenny Williams said today that the team hasn’t decided if they’re rebuilding, buying, selling, etc. yet. is it normal or just a lack of understanding for a team to be directionless at this point in the offseason?

Dave Cameron: They’re probably weighing multiple options. For a team in their position, it’s not a bad idea to evaluate both courses of direction; if you can upgrade reasonably, okay, but if not, and someone wants to blow you away for Sale/Quintana/Abreu, that should be under consideration too.

Comment From Striker

White Sox have yet to determine their path. If they decided to blow it up (assuming that is an option), how soon could they turn it around? Tease me with the return Sale would fetch from the Dodgers or Red Sox.

Dave Cameron: I think I had Sale at like #6 on the trade value list this summer. It would take an insane package. Moncada or Corey Seager would have to be in the deal, and it would be plus other stuff, probably.

The guy doing the MLBTR chat yesterdays said take what you would think is fair for Sale and double it. That is what he would cost.

If they are going to rebuild, they can have one of the top ranked farm systems in a matter of minutes.

The problem is, it's very rare prospects alone get you into contention quickly.

Dave Cameron: I think I had Sale at like #6 on the trade value list this summer. It would take an insane package. Moncada or Corey Seager would have to be in the deal, and it would be plus other stuff, probably.

Probably??? He thinks Sale for Seager straight up would be acceptable?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
I think the Dodgers and Red Sox are two good places to look in terms of Q / Sale. Both have a lot of upper level major league ready (or already in major league) prospects.

I don't because those teams are easily able to keep their prospects and spend $$ on a starter. I think a team like the Pirates would be much more likely to trade for Q or Sale because they could never get a player like that otherwise.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
I don't because those teams are easily able to keep their prospects and spend $$ on a starter. I think a team like the Pirates would be much more likely to trade for Q or Sale because they could never get a player like that otherwise.

The Dodgers goal is not to have a $300 million salary, nor is the Red Sox. They also want to remain competitive. If I were the Dodger and I can't get Greinke, I might be more comfortable trading some elite prospects for Sale (and saving the money) and then using a smaller portion of that money to make absurd international signings (and violate those rules).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 09:07 PM)

also players that are really cost control....

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 12:21 PM)
Their rotation ranked 12th in the MLB in WAR and 6th in the AL.

They were also 13th in the AL in ERA out of their starters. This might be a case where "bad defense" is making the algorithm overcorrect for their starters, esp. given the unique ballpark.