Bullpen Alignment

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
CL Robertson R

SU Petricka R

MR Duke L

MR Putnam R

MR Ynoa R

LOOGY Surkamp L

LR Beck

That's my guess.

Ynoa has barely over a full year of pro innings and hasn't pitched above Advanced A ball. Zero chance he sees the majors in 2015, probably not even 2016.

Also highly doubt they'd put in Beck as a long reliever.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Also highly doubt they'd put in Beck as a long reliever.

I actually wouldn't be too terribly surprised by that if there's a bullpen opening. I don't think they'll leave him hanging in AAA if there's some room for a righty in the pen.

Robertson

Duke

Petricka

Putnam

Webb

Surkamp

Garcia or Guerra or other

And a hopeful August boost of Jones or Sanburn, and a dream scenario boost from Montas and/or Danish a little later, and the pen could be a strength down the stretch and in the postseason.

Robertson is obviously the closer, with and Duke, Petricka, Guerra and Putnam in high leverage situations. Don't need this X is the 7th inning guy, y is the 8th inning guy nonsense.

Use them as the situation begs. All can handle high leverage action.

I wasn't as down on the pen as most were, and this is a pretty darn strong pen, I must say.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:40 PM)
It's

Closer: Robertson

Everything else: matchups

Only if they take the time to work in this prior to the season and before each series. I know you don't believe it but these are people and they like to know where they stand.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
Robertson is obviously the closer, with and Duke, Petricka, Guerra and Putnam in high leverage situations. Don't need this X is the 7th inning guy, y is the 8th inning guy nonsense.

Use them as the situation begs. All can handle high leverage action.

I wasn't as down on the pen as most were, and this is a pretty darn strong pen, I must say.

We know that isn't true. Otherwise they wouldn't have been an awful pen last year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)
We know that isn't true. Otherwise they wouldn't have been an awful pen last year.

Bingo. Guys like to go to work and know what their job is. I think you see Jake settle in for the 8th, unless it is primarily lefties. Zach will be the long/swing man. Guerra will be the set up guy.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Only if they take the time to work in this prior to the season and before each series. I know you don't believe it but these are people and they like to know where they stand.

Of course they do. And the second RV can guarantee them that every pitcher will throw 7 innings every night, and that no one will blow up in relief, they can have that.

The reality of a volatile baseball game and interlocking patterns of rest across each series makes these "roles and plans" impossible 60-70% of the time.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)
Of course they do. And the second RV can guarantee them that every pitcher will throw 7 innings every night, and that no one will blow up in relief, they can have that.

The reality of a volatile baseball game and interlocking patterns of rest across each series makes these "roles and plans" impossible 60-70% of the time.

The better your starters are, the more set in roles your pen can be. Another side note here is that the addition of a guy like Samardjiza could mean the need to carry one less pen guy, and maybe another position player.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 03:49 PM)

Cute

the reality is that there were 3 decent pitchers in the pen and they not only had to handle high leverage, but also closer and to take care of the starters 3, 4 and 5 who couldn't get past the 6th inning. 2 of those 3 were extremely inexperienced and one a rookie. There wasn't a lefty of any ability to bring in so often the lefty wasn't brought in.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 9, 2014 -> 04:03 PM)

It doesn't need to be the traditional innings division but the pitchers need to know their role. Putnam is the guy who comes in if its the 7th inning and the other teams middle of the order is coming up. Petricka is the guy if its 7th inning if its the bottom of the order. But this needs to be discussed, it can't be "just pitch when I tell you to."