Avisail Garcia

SJB23

Anyone think that due to the unknown with Avi and his tendency to hit the ball on the ground, he should bat 7th and not 5th? Having a ground ball hitter batting behind LaRoche does not sound like a good idea. I'm thinking Alexei batting 5th could be a better idea. Alexei would bring some speed to the middle of the order which could alleviate ground ball DP's and move Avi to 7th and maybe take some pressure off of him. At this point, Alexei is a better run producer than Avi so why not?

1- Eaton

2- Melky

3- Abreu

4- LaRoche

5- Ramirez

6- Gillaspie

7- Avi

8- Flowers

9- Bonifacio/Beckham/Sanchez/Johnson

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Anyone think that due to the unknown with Avi and his tendency to hit the ball on the ground, he should bat 7th and not 5th? Having a ground ball hitter batting behind LaRoche does not sound like a good idea. I'm thinking Alexei batting 5th could be a better idea. Alexei would bring some speed to the middle of the order which could alleviate ground ball DP's and move Avi to 7th and maybe take some pressure off of him. At this point, Alexei is a better run producer than Avi so why not?

1- Eaton

2- Melky

3- Abreu

4- LaRoche

5- Ramirez

6- Gillaspie

7- Avi

8- Flowers

In 879 opportunities to ground into a double play in his career, Alexei Ramirez has done so 113 times (12.9% of the time)

In 106 opportunities to ground into a double play in his career, Avisail Garcia has done so 14 times (13.2% of the time)

Obviously that is a fairly small sample size for Avisail Garcia, but there really isn't much difference between the two. With his power potential, I would rather see Avisail hit in the 5 spot and get the extra 30-40 plate appearances that are going to come with it versus the 7 spot. If Alexei is a better run producer this year that Avisail, I don't think we are going very far.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)

1- Eaton

2- Melky

3- Abreu

4- LaRoche

5- Ramirez

6- Gillaspie

7- Avi

8- Flowers

Avi will be faster this year from the weight loss and it's possible that we are overthinking his GB rate .It's probably safe to say that nothing in his hitting career thus far is set in stone nor in his fielding for that matter. Between his K's and speed DP's shouldnt be a problem .

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
In 879 opportunities to ground into a double play in his career, Alexei Ramirez has done so 113 times (12.9% of the time)

In 106 opportunities to ground into a double play in his career, Avisail Garcia has done so 14 times (13.2% of the time)

Obviously that is a fairly small sample size for Avisail Garcia, but there really isn't much difference between the two. With his power potential, I would rather see Avisail hit in the 5 spot and get the extra 30-40 plate appearances that are going to come with it versus the 7 spot. If Alexei is a better run producer this year that Avisail, I don't think we are going very far.

I agree he should be 7th, but that's because I don't think he's going to be very good. I also agree, though, that if he ISN'T very good, we're going to have a hard time succeeding.

I wouldn't worry about batted ball type though, if he's hitting at all, everything will be fine.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
Avi will be faster this year from the weight loss and it's possible that we are overthinking his GB rate .It's probably safe to say that nothing in his hitting career thus far is set in stone nor in his fielding for that matter. Between his K's and speed DP's shouldnt be a problem .

Agreed. And keep him in the 5 hole, with Lexi at 7, unless he fails. I'm confident in the kid moreso than previously - weight loss is encouraging for the defensive profile. It wasn't that long ago that some thought he had a chance to stick at CF.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)

1- Eaton

2- Melky

3- Abreu

4- LaRoche

5- Ramirez

6- Gillaspie

7- Avi

8- Flowers

Yeah, you could, but I kind of feel like the whole bottom half of the lineup is pretty interchangeable, unless Avi really breaks out this year.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
Agreed. And keep him in the 5 hole, with Lexi at 7, unless he fails. I'm confident in the kid moreso than previously - weight loss is encouraging for the defensive profile. It wasn't that long ago that some thought he had a chance to stick at CF.

Until he can learn to take a better route to a ball, his defense is going to be bad. He can throw which helps, but he could cut his weight to 150 and become the fastest player in the league, if the routes don't improve, everyone will still cringe when a ball is hit his way. Realistically, IMO, I think if he became average defensively, I think the White Sox would take it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
Until he can learn to take a better route to a ball, his defense is going to be bad. He can throw which helps, but he could cut his weight to 150 and become the fastest player in the league, if the routes don't improve, everyone will still cringe when a ball is hit his way. Realistically, IMO, I think if he became average defensively, I think the White Sox would take it.

There's probably some sort of metric to disprove what I say, but I think this criticism of his defense and the routes he takes is exaggerated. Seems like if a guy makes a bad read or two then suddenly he takes terrible routes to the ball, period. I watched every game he played last season until he got hurt and I don't think he was awful.