Avisail Garcia

SJB23

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
According to Our Chuck, the White Sox asked Avi to lose weight, and he has.

Preseason bulls***! In all seriousness he definitely has lost weight. The work ethic is definitely there for him, hopefully he can put everything together.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 23, 2015 -> 10:21 PM)
If he's less bulky, he's bound to be better in the field overall. Good news.

I heard that he lost some weight and got into better shape which is great news for the Sox. However with that being said, I do not think that Avi's long term future is in the OF. I think that he should be playing first base, I know that the Sox signed LaRoche but once his contract expires after the 2016 season, I would like to see Avi take over first.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jan 24, 2015 -> 05:45 AM)
I heard that he lost some weight and got into better shape which is great news for the Sox. However with that being said, I do not think that Avi's long term future is in the OF. I think that he should be playing first base, I know that the Sox signed LaRoche but once his contract expires after the 2016 season, I would like to see Avi take over first.

1b / dh position would be good, like this he will be able to learned the 1b position from Jose A.

Didn't realize Avi gained that much but I can see how it would happen. He looks great now with the right attitude and that's what matters.

Hopefully he stays with " little Miggy" and not turn into "big Miggy". ;)

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/avisail-gar...p-on-potential/

Hey, here's a depressing article comparing Garcia to Viciedo!

The big "but," of course: Just because one guy has become a miserable failure doesn't mean they all do.

I don't think we can say that Viciedo has become a miserable failure at this point, just that he has been a miserable failure thus far. The guy is still talented as hell and relatively young, so he has time to put it all together. I just don't think it's going to be with the White Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
I don't think we can say that Viciedo has become a miserable failure at this point, just that he has been a miserable failure thus far. The guy is still talented as hell and relatively young, so he has time to put it all together. I just don't think it's going to be with the White Sox.

Not trying to turn this into a Viciedo thread, so I'll rephrase: If Garcia age 23-25 looks like Viciedo from 23-25, it will be a bad situation.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)
Not trying to turn this into a Viciedo thread, so I'll rephrase: If Garcia age 23-25 looks like Viciedo from 23-25, it will be a bad situation.

Agreed. Garcia may be the biggest question mark on the team next year. I won't go as far as saying he's the difference between the playoffs or not, but if he plays well it's going to be a whole lot easier to overlook a few other holes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Agreed. Garcia may be the biggest question mark on the team next year. I won't go as far as saying he's the difference between the playoffs or not, but if he plays well it's going to be a whole lot easier to overlook a few other holes.

I feel the exact same way and have said so, and even the author seems to echo that sentiment a bit when he says "You don’t have the winter they had without a focus on the next one to three seasons, which naturally seems to hinge on Avisail Garcia in the short term to some degree."

Hinge being the operative word.

BB% / K% / ISO / BABIP

A 5.2 % 22.7 % .136 .329

B 5.3 % 21.6 % .170 .291

A .272 / .314 / .408 / wOBA .316 wRC+ 97

B .254 / .298 / .424 / wOBA .315 wRC+ 95

Which one is Avi and which is Viciedo?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)
BB% / K% / ISO / BABIP

A 5.2 % 22.7 % .136 .329

B 5.3 % 21.6 % .170 .291

A for Avi!!

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 06:43 PM)
BB% / K% / ISO / BABIP

A 5.2 % 22.7 % .136 .329

B 5.3 % 21.6 % .170 .291

The funny thing is you can also take Garcia's three partial seasons so far, and it compares to Magglios first season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:15 PM)
The funny thing is you can also take Garcia's three partial seasons so far, and it compares to Magglios first season.

He has nowhere near the power of Maggs. And Magglio also had a 9% K rate compared to Avi's 22%.

yyyyeah...

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2015 -> 09:08 PM)
He has nowhere near the power of Maggs. And Magglio also had a 9% K rate compared to Avi's 22%.

yyyyeah...

The contact issues are valid. Magglio played at a time when it was easier to make contact, but he made better contact comparatively speaking.

Garcia's power is perfectly fine, if not better.