Ernie has died

greg775

Met him on the putting green at Evergreen Country Club at 91st and Western, about a dozen years ago. The nicest guy you'd ever want to meet. He made time for everyone. An ambassador like no other.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

I saw Ernie walking into a restaurant a couple of years ago. I said Hey Ernie to him, and he started talking to me like I was one of his best buddies he hadn't seen for years. The people that were with him were trying to get him to go, but it appeared they were used to it.

Then I read the Dale Murphy tweet where he said he did a card show with Ernie and Ernie drove the promoter crazy because he was basically doing the same thing he did with me to each one of customers. Murphy said Ernie only got about 15 signed in an hour.

He may be Mr. Cub, but I wil always hold him in the highest regard. RIP.

I remember when he broke in, straight from the old Negro League. Not much fanfare in those days, but right away it was obvious he could play. The rest is history. He and Nellie Fox both won MVP in 1959. Pretty good year for Chicago. Ernie could have easily been a .300 lifetime hitter, but pitchers really pitched around him, and he went for a lot of pitches outside the strike zone. He had big time bat speed, even then. Nobody talked about it like they do now. His countdown to 500 home runs was great theatre in Chicago. Classy man.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 24, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
Even though we are Sox fans, I'd like to say rest in peace to Ernie Banks.

By all accounts a class act. Any memories?

Chicago's Mt. Rushmore in Sports: Ernie, Payton, Jordan and Bobby Hull? With Big Hurt honorable mention and Sayers?

All due respect to Ernie, Frank Thomas was better than Banks.

I'll venture to say he was by far the slightest built man to ever hit 500+ home runs, all because of his legendary wrists.

I met him a couple of times, and my experience matches everything being said about the man; he was incredibly kind, welcoming and polite.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
i really wish some of the retired sox players, esp those working with the sox org, can have that same kind of presence, even if they have to work at it.

I feel like people talk about Minnie Minoso in a similar way.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jan 26, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
I feel like people talk about Minnie Minoso in a similar way.

well that is another classy person. i am talking about some of the younger generation HOF retired players who doesn't do the necessary part. the PR, esp if they are still in the public eye.