Cafardo's manager ranking

AlSoxfan

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. First off, I guess I pay less than zero attention to the NL -- Sandberg is managing? WTF when did that happen :lol:

My thought in these rankings are how many could lead their teams to the WS title? Perhaps all in the right circumstances.

Are they 100% better than the next? Or just 1 or 2% better. Rank the top 100 yards dash guys on the planet and they rank thousands of a second apart.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
I will truly never understand this.

???

The jury's still out. Collapse in 2012, but the Tigers had the better team. Borderline lost the team in 2013, then kept them competitive for most of last season.

He could be rated anywhere from 16th-27th and most fans wouldn't have a strong opinion on it either way.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
???

The jury's still out. Collapse in 2012, but the Tigers had the better team. Borderline lost the team in 2013, then kept them competitive for most of last season.

He could be rated anywhere from 16th-27th and most fans wouldn't have a strong opinion on it either way.

He hasn't had a single GOOD team in his tenure here.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 15, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
I will truly never understand this.

What's not to understand? I don't like him as the Sox manager. Yes, his teams have lacked talent and I don't hold that against him but his game management and certain key decisions have not sat well with me. Seems to me he makes too many of the same mistakes and worry that he won't learn from them.

The jury out ultimately out on him but I for one don't like what I have seen so far.

I'd not have Robin ranked as high as he is. I'd also rank Sandberg ahead of him quite easily.

I'd love to have a replacement for him ASAP. If we start out like 2-6 please Jerry, can him and bring in somebody to manage the club. We have a shot this year.

QUOTE (brett05 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 07:22 AM)
I'd not have Robin ranked as high as he is. I'd also rank Sandberg ahead of him quite easily.

I'd love to have a replacement for him ASAP. If we start out like 2-6 please Jerry, can him and bring in somebody to manage the club. We have a shot this year.

If the Royals did that at mid-season with Yost, they probably would have missed the playoffs.

The hardest thing about managerial changes in-season is that the best options are usually under contract and can't be tampered with.

Who do you have in mind that you're absolutely sure would be a better option AND would be available to jump in (step over White Sox icon Ventura's still warm body) and take over?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
If the Royals did that at mid-season with Yost, they probably would have missed the playoffs.

The hardest thing about managerial changes in-season is that the best options are usually under contract and can't be tampered with.

Who do you have in mind that you're absolutely sure would be a better option AND would be available to jump in (step over White Sox icon Ventura's still warm body) and take over?

I don't see Robin as an icon at all.

I'd look at:

Ozzie right away. Takes all the pressure of the media upon himself instead of the media hounding the players.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)

LMAO not only is this completely unprovable, but it is very likely WRONG. Yost made so many bad moves along the way, it is amazing that the Royals got as far as they did

QUOTE (brett05 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
I don't see Robin as an icon at all.

I'd look at:

Ozzie right away. Takes all the pressure of the media upon himself instead of the media hounding the players.

If you don't see Robin as a Sox icon you would be dead wrong. He has the 6th highest fWAR of any Sox player position player. Well ahead of Baines, Konerko, Fisk and Aparicio all of whom have or will have their numbers retired.

I just for the life of me cannot understand how anybody could want Ozzie back. By the end of his tenure he was an absolutely horrible manager, worse than Ventura has ever been.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
LMAO not only is this completely unprovable, but it is very likely WRONG. Yost made so many bad moves along the way, it is amazing that the Royals got as far as they did

I agree, Yost is not a good manager. I follow the Brewers as my second team and half the time he seemed like he didn't have a clue what he was doing when he was there.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
If you don't see Robin as a Sox icon you would be dead wrong. He has the 6th highest fWAR of any Sox player position player. Well ahead of Baines, Konerko, Fisk and Aparicio all of whom have or will have their numbers retired.

Stats do not make a player an icon.

I just for the life of me cannot understand how anybody could want Ozzie back. By the end of his tenure he was an absolutely horrible manager, worse than Ventura has ever been.

Actually he wasn't. His antics was reaching new heights, but he was still doing a good job handling the managerial part (at least compared to Robin) and an even greater job controlling the media away from his players.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)

Do you also believe the White Sox would still have won the World Series in 2005 if they fired Ozzie when the Indians were only 1 1/2 games back?

Of course, nothing is provable.

Other than bringing in Ventura in relief for Shields, what did Yost do wrong?

BTW, I've read all off-season that Shields was terrible in the playoffs and not "Big Game" James, so maybe it wasn't the worst idea in the world...

The Royals and Giants had basically the same amount of regular season victories...so why is Bochy a "genius" and Yost is just lucky when there wasn't a single All-Star caliber hitter on that roster?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (brett05 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Stats do not make a player an icon.

Actually he wasn't. His antics was reaching new heights, but he was still doing a good job handling the managerial part (at least compared to Robin) and an even greater job controlling the media away from his players.

What did Guillen do well from 2009 through 2011?

Quitting on the team at the end of 2011 when he already had left the Sox for the Marlins the last week of the season?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
Do you also believe the White Sox would still have won the World Series in 2005 if they fired Ozzie when the Indians were only 1 1/2 games back?

Of course, nothing is provable.

Other than bringing in Ventura in relief for Shields, what did Yost do wrong?

BTW, I've read all off-season that Shields was terrible in the playoffs and not "Big Game" James, so maybe it wasn't the worst idea in the world...

The Royals and Giants had basically the same amount of regular season victories...so why is Bochy a "genius" and Yost is just lucky when there wasn't a single All-Star caliber hitter on that roster?

Yost gave away outs like it was going out of style. His team succeeded despite him, not because of him.

I am not comparing Yost to Ozzie in 05, or Robin today. They arent the same situation, nor the same people,

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 16, 2015 -> 10:24 AM)
Yost gave away outs like it was going out of style. His team succeeded despite him, not because of him.

I am not comparing Yost to Ozzie in 05, or Robin today. They arent the same situation, nor the same people,

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/106374740/mi...lieving-in-team

The thing is, the Royals were challenged offensively (until the playoffs) to drive in runs with homers, everyone knows that.

Bunting/sacrificing made a lot of sense for that team, in that ballpark...because of the incredible track record the bullpen had with just 1-2 run leads...and how important it was for that team in the 2nd half to take the lead early, as they collectively believed it meant a sure win, just like the 2005 White Sox believed as well, especially the first 2 1/2 months or so in 2005 when Pods and Iguchi were in synch.

As an organizational philosophy, it worked. You can't expect hitters like Escobar, Infante, Dyson and Aoki to pound out victories...so they basically played a different style with half of their line-up while still hoping for SOME power from Hosmer, Butler, Moustakas, Perez and Gordon.

Part of that philosophy was a belief in team playing and making every out count, as well as making contact. The White Sox could learn a thing or two, because ever since 2005/06, and 2008 when Quentin was on fire, their offensive attack has been pretty one-dimensional, all things considered.

In the end, those types of offenses (like the A's) built on power and OBP but without the ability to manufacture runs on the basepaths always tend to wilt in the off-season.

Edited by caulfield12