2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
At the very least, just play street football with or use the football to play with your kids (even if you didn't want the autograph).

I'd have to imagine either there was an excessively high starting bid or no one bothered marketing it.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 3, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
It was 100 starting bid. Bruce Weber's sold for 120

You could get an official NFL football new for about $80 if you looked hard enough. The problem with this one was a panel was painted white and he signed the panel so if the goal was to use it to throw around and play with your buddies, it probably won't work. OTOH Cutler probably is the greatest Bears QB of all time, so there's that, and you do give money to a good cause.

Cutler isn't so great, but he isn't bad enough to have zero bids on an autographed football that starts at $100. That is just sad.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 09:32 PM)
Cutler donated a signed ball to the Anti Cruelty Society's fundraiser.

There were no bids.

But there's a happy ending to the story. A person, who asked to remain anonymous, called the Anti-Cruelty Society on Thursday and offered the $100 starting bid. He planned to pick up the football for his son, a Bears fan, on Friday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/smack...0403-story.html

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Apr 4, 2015 -> 11:34 AM)
But there's a happy ending to the story. A person, who asked to remain anonymous, called the Anti-Cruelty Society on Thursday and offered the $100 starting bid. He planned to pick up the football for his son, a Bears fan, on Friday.

I wonder if he picked it up with a bag over his head.

I'd cool it a bit, it's taking something completely out of context. May have been lots of items there. May have been blind bidding. People may have had no idea there were no bids on things. I don't think anyone was being malicious, except the person who reported it.

According to L Holmes on the Score last night there is "chatter" once again about Cutler to the Titans. I didnt get to listen to it all but has anyone else heard anything new about this?

I haven't heard anything on the Cutler to Titans since the beginning of free agency. There has been some talk about Rivers to Titans.

I think Winston and Mariota go one and two in this draft. Who takes Mariota is the question. Could be a trade for that 2nd pick.

I dont think it is out of the realm of possibility that Pace really likes Mariota and is targeting him in the draft whichever way he can get him. I personally wouldnt but maybe he does.

So Jason Cole thinks the Bears really like Mariota. It could just be posturing on the Bears part to make other teams think they want him. It could be real. Pace said from the start the most important aspect of building a winning team is the synergy between the QB, GM and HC.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-footba...rade-jay-cutler

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
According to L Holmes on the Score last night there is "chatter" once again about Cutler to the Titans. I didnt get to listen to it all but has anyone else heard anything new about this?

I've long said if Jay is dealt it would be to the Titans. I have not been pushing for Marcus but he clearly has nice skill-sets, etc. Projectability is hard to predict but by all accounts his make-up is off the charts and he's a hard worker. The question really is whether he can make the necessary tweaks and put in the time to excel at the NFL and if he is smart enough to play at the NFL level (deal with anticipation / look off safeties, etc). That is something that really no college QB has (or very rare that a college QB excels at it, especially in this day and age) so it is hard to gauge. Reason people are so comfortable with Winston is he's been in a system where he's been able to demonstrate some of those NFL skills for 2 years.

If Bears like Marcus, I'm all for taking the cap pain and getting the #2 pick and losing Cutler and trying it out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
i would take the 2 pick, draft Leonard Williams and figure out the QB position later.

I wouldnt be opposed to that. Man it would be ugly with Claussen as your starter... but hell it was ugly with Cutler as your starter though too.

If I am moving up to 2 and making the pick, im not getting a guy who -might- be a decent to good QB. If you are drafting that high you better damn well get an instant impact starter.

And I wouldnt be opposed to trading down for multiple picks either.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
I wouldnt be opposed to that. Man it would be ugly with Claussen as your starter... but hell it was ugly with Cutler as your starter though too.

I don't like that idea. Is Williams really that significant of a long term upgrade over other guys available at 7? If you are taking Mariotta at least you are betting on a potential franchise game changer at the QB position. I'm not saying that he is, but I really don't have a problem using a #2 pick on a QB who was widely regarded most of the season as the top QB prospect (and was also viewed similarly a year ago).

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
If I am moving up to 2 and making the pick, im not getting a guy who -might- be a decent to good QB. If you are drafting that high you better damn well get an instant impact starter.

And I wouldnt be opposed to trading down for multiple picks either.

The reality is, with extremely rare exceptions, when you are picking a QB, you really never know who they will be. Their really are very rare exceptions to that list. Peyton Manning and Luck are probably the most recent 2 QB's who fit that bill. I would argue that Winston, as a QB, falls in that camp (in terms of what he has done), but the off field issues keep him from being one of the more sure thing QB's to come out in a while.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
I don't like that idea. Is Williams really that significant of a long term upgrade over other guys available at 7? If you are taking Mariotta at least you are betting on a potential franchise game changer at the QB position. I'm not saying that he is, but I really don't have a problem using a #2 pick on a QB who was widely regarded most of the season as the top QB prospect (and was also viewed similarly a year ago).

All indications from scouts and nfl people is that he is. He appears to be cant miss. Mariota on the other hand gets the opposite scouting report from scouts and nfl guys in being a high risk pick.

I would try to be hopeful if the Bears go for Mariota. I would trust that they see something in him that many dont see. But damn there are a lot of guys who I respect their opinions as long time football guys in the league that dont think he is an NFL QB.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
All indications from scouts and nfl people is that he is. He appears to be cant miss. Mariota on the other hand gets the opposite scouting report from scouts and nfl guys in being a high risk pick.

A lot of people like a lot of things on Williams and his character appears to be high. HE is also said to have a slow reaction and I haven't heard many NFL insiders who have said they are certain he can correct that or that it won't impact his ability to be a difference maker at the NFL level (where everyone is quicker / stronger). I like Williams a lot but I don't know that the difference between him and someone else @ 7 would be all that significant, to be frank.

If Mariotta hits, the difference between him and pretty much anyone we could draft would be there, thus, I would be okay moving up for that pick. I didn't say that it will happen but NFL people like pretty much everything about Marcus except for the unknown. No one really knows how he will respond to being in a pro-set. Everyone things the make-up and work ethic are their and that he gave some indications of being advanced (for running a spread offense) but the reality is he has never had a chance to showcase that ability at the collegiate level.

All of his other skills are reflective of a top overall pick but it is the unknown that has everyone concerned. I'd argue that unknown exists with almost every freaking QB whose drafted. You typically get picked where you do based upon the physical skills, which are a requisite, but it is the mental skills at the QB position, which when matched with strong physical tools, will ultimately allow you to have long-term success. I have zero idea if Marcus would work, but at least we'd be putting him in a situation where we were rebuilding and could take some lumps early. He'd also be coming to a strong culture with a supposed bright young NFL mind.

Lets also remember, if the plan is to move away from Jay anyway, than by doing this, Pace almost gets two shots at QB. He takes a shot now and than a few years from now if everything else is moving forward but QB, he could have a shot to take one more shot (as could Fox). Plus going with a young QB and taking the hit on Jay, would put the Bears in an extremely favorable cap situation 1-2 years down the road when ideally we would be headed toward competitiveness.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2015 -> 04:15 PM)
A lot of people like a lot of things on Williams and his character appears to be high. HE is also said to have a slow reaction and I haven't heard many NFL insiders who have said they are certain he can correct that or that it won't impact his ability to be a difference maker at the NFL level (where everyone is quicker / stronger). I like Williams a lot but I don't know that the difference between him and someone else @ 7 would be all that significant, to be frank.

If Mariotta hits, the difference between him and pretty much anyone we could draft would be there, thus, I would be okay moving up for that pick. I didn't say that it will happen but NFL people like pretty much everything about Marcus except for the unknown. No one really knows how he will respond to being in a pro-set. Everyone things the make-up and work ethic are their and that he gave some indications of being advanced (for running a spread offense) but the reality is he has never had a chance to showcase that ability at the collegiate level.

All of his other skills are reflective of a top overall pick but it is the unknown that has everyone concerned. I'd argue that unknown exists with almost every freaking QB whose drafted. You typically get picked where you do based upon the physical skills, which are a requisite, but it is the mental skills at the QB position, which when matched with strong physical tools, will ultimately allow you to have long-term success. I have zero idea if Marcus would work, but at least we'd be putting him in a situation where we were rebuilding and could take some lumps early. He'd also be coming to a strong culture with a supposed bright young NFL mind.

Lets also remember, if the plan is to move away from Jay anyway, than by doing this, Pace almost gets two shots at QB. He takes a shot now and than a few years from now if everything else is moving forward but QB, he could have a shot to take one more shot (as could Fox). Plus going with a young QB and taking the hit on Jay, would put the Bears in an extremely favorable cap situation 1-2 years down the road when ideally we would be headed toward competitiveness.

You are downplaying the importance of this regimes first draft pick. I think it is huge and something they really dont want to screw up on. Hey if they want to roll the dice on Mariota with so many question marks and big ones I might add (like not having an NFL arm and not being able to make decisions in the pocket with h/o throw on first read at Oregon) then they have some big balls. I will like that they have the confidence to do that but you really dont get free passes this day and age. You have to succeed pretty quickly and cant have huge failures or you are gone.