The Shark Cage

Jose Abreu

I feel like the expressions of "yeesh, calm down guys" in this thread now far outweigh any original anger there may have been. You'd have thought there was a riot.

It's sort of a dumb idea to give a guy his own cheering section when he's never thrown a pitch for the team, especially when you ripped the idea off in the first place, and especially when you already have an underappreciated guy on the team who has been objectively better. Also that hat is frigging ugly. Also the Shark Cage will not persuade Samardzija to sign here in any capacity.

Those are my thoughts. No outrage, just puzzlement and moving on with my life.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
I feel like the expressions of "yeesh, calm down guys" in this thread now far outweigh any original anger there may have been. You'd have thought there was a riot.

It's sort of a dumb idea to give a guy his own cheering section when he's never thrown a pitch for the team, especially when you ripped the idea off in the first place, and especially when you already have an underappreciated guy on the team who has been objectively better. Also that hat is frigging ugly. Also the Shark Cage will not persuade Samardzija to sign here in any capacity.

Those are my thoughts. No outrage, just puzzlement and moving on with my life.

No it's not a dumb idea. I agree that Q is the better pitcher, but for some reason the public will never buy it, plus Q doesn't fan enough guys to get a section like that. The hat sucks, but so does just about every giveaway that is handed out at venues around the country. People knock over women and children at USCF to get a Chevy t-shirt with a Sox emblem from the Chevy Pride Crew. If the $15 or $20 price for the lower deck seat for a Jeff S. start isn't enough, maybe the $2 hat will entice. Whatever it does, it isn't going to decrease attendance. I don't understand why someone has to have been on the team x amount of games before a team uses them to sell tickets. Not marketing these players is a dumb idea. It has nothing to do with re-signing him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:27 AM)
This is not a dig on Quintana, this is an attempt to get fans excited about the new star pitcher we got. And they want to give you a hat so you'll come to the game. I cannot fathom being upset about it.

It's just not the time to do this yet.

Do something else.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
It's just not the time to do this yet.

Do something else.

Why not market him right away? People were excited he was acquired. Play to the golden domers and anyone else who is a huge fan. His being a local guy plays in as well.

Were the Heat not supposed to market Lebron and Bosh until they were on the team for a while?

Hyping your product is a good thing. The White Sox sold a bunch of tickets when they signed the new guys. Marketing them doesn't hurt a thing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
Why not market him right away? People were excited he was acquired. Play to the golden domers and anyone else who is a huge fan. His being a local guy plays in as well.

Were the Heat not supposed to market Lebron and Bosh until they were on the team for a while?

Hyping your product is a good thing.

Maybe in the second half when he's been to the All Star Game and the Sox are in first, you bust it out.

It's premature to me. He's not a perennial Top 5 Cy guy, and hasn't thrown a pitch for the Sox...and he's probably only going to be here for a season.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't make me mad, or make me a "hater". I'm just calling something stupid, stupid.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
Maybe in the second half when he's been to the All Star Game and the Sox are in first, you bust it out.

It's premature to me. He's not a perennial Top 5 Cy guy, and hasn't thrown a pitch for the Sox...and he's probably only going to be here for a season.

Don't get me wrong, this doesn't make me mad, or make me a "hater". I'm just calling something stupid, stupid.

All the more reason to market him now and try to sell more tickets. Like it or not, he's the most well known player on the team.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)

He's on the team and a marketable player. There is no reason to wait and see if he makes the All Star game or the team is in first place.

The White Sox will sell more tickets doing it their way vs. your way. That is just a fact. If that is stupid, then being stupid makes a lot of sense.

The biggest thing MLB as a whole gets criticized for is not selling its stars. The White Sox are doing exactly that by selling the guys on this team. If the Shark Tank gets people to the game, let me be the first to start pining for Abreu's Amigo's to be located in the upper deck right behind the first base bag.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
If he sucks for some reason then the awkwardness of this may even trump The Outfield song.

If he's awesome then I hope we hold nothing back and play the Jaws music while the other team takes BP and before their half of the inning.

Gordon Beckham's struggles have destroyed that song for me. Very sad.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 10:28 AM)
Why would we want a Shark in a cage ? Has anyone ever seen a shark in a cage ? Maybe Shark Infested waters , yea yea !! Cue the Jaws theme music ~! Or even this classic by the Surf Punks . Check it out Ptatc

Totally agree. Should be the Shark Tank instead of Shark Cage. Now I am really pissed and will boycot this season.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)
Totally agree. Should be the Shark Tank instead of Shark Cage. Now I am really pissed and will boycot this season.

But this would mean Shark would have to be in the stands, confined with the fans.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
A shark cage is for the divers (fans) to safely observe the Shark hunting (pitching) in its natural habitat. So the name is actually pretty fitting.

/coolstorybro

exactly

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:52 AM)

Except the Shark Tank is a TV show, and I am sure the team would have to pay for the rights to use it. Shark Cage has no such encumbrances.

I usually take a quick guess before I click on the topic to guess what the reaction will be. Didn't anticipate the negativity.

There's another topic a few days old talking about the disappointment in the commercials. Now we market maybe our #1 off-season acquisition and people don't like it?

That's why it's hard to read these boards sometimes. People never seem to happy.

I'm never going sit down there -however if it gets even 1 family down there instead of the upper deck I take it as a win. Also they must have had some success with the K-Zone if they are expanding it.

What's the next thread? Fireworks after homeruns are too loud?