ST: 3/27 at Cubs

flavum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
Cubs batting Jason Hammel 8th, slightly notable I guess.

Maddon said in an interview that if the pitcher is a decent hitter, he will do this alot. Something in the analytics shows it is more effective for scoring runs.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)
Maddon said in an interview that if the pitcher is a decent hitter, he will do this alot. Something in the analytics shows it is more effective for scoring runs.

I think he said to it depends on if they trust a pitcher stay longer in the game too. 5-7 possibly inning guy would hit 9th and someone able to possibly stay in the game longer 8th with someone in the 9 spot to get on base for top/middle of the order.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:35 AM)

Probably has to do with putting the pitcher closer to the meat of the order, meaning there are more likely to be guys on base and you can't walk the guy in front of him as comfortably. That and getting somebody who can hit in the 9-hole to be driven in by your top of the order.

Hammel is not a decent hitter though, he's pretty much your typical pitcher at the plate. But it's just spring and it's definitely interesting.

Pitchers in 2014: .122/.153/.153

Hammel career: .123/.144/.158

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
Hey there, DeMichelle is still in camp!

No. They pull a few guys from minor league camp for every game to get them a few AB's in a real game, but they are still in minor league camp. For example you may still see Hawkins play in an ST game.

If you look at the stats, there are a dozen or more prospects and minor leaguers who have played in a game so far, that were never in big camp.

QUOTE (Baron @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)
Flowers looks like he's ready for another rough year at the plate. Hahn hopefully next year will replace him.

I don't think he'll last past June if he's struggling and the team is in contention.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
I think he said to it depends on if they trust a pitcher stay longer in the game too. 5-7 possibly inning guy would hit 9th and someone able to possibly stay in the game longer 8th with someone in the 9 spot to get on base for top/middle of the order.

Yeah, now that you mention it, that was discussed as well.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
If Flowers is really bad, they'll trade for someone, or go with whomever of Soto, Smith, Brantly or Nieto seems most likely to be better. And it is impossible to know right now which it would be.

I would say Soto is starting games by June, whoever we trade for in July.