Samardzija said he's not looking for "top dollar'' in

southsider2k5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
He turned down a $75 million dollar contract from the Cubs. So I really don't know what he is looking for.

$20M+ a years for starters. Cubs offer was not even close to that.

I think to get Shark to avoid free agency you have to offer a competitive AAV and hope he's willing to shave a year or two off the length of the deal. I could possibly see him taking a 5 year, $120M extension early in the season.

QUOTE (RaySox @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 07:54 PM)
Perhaps we should wait to see if he's going to give up 6 homers ever 15 innings before offering any contracts

This is a good point. If we consistently see the Samardzija we saw today this season, I'm fine if he walks. I'd rather spend the money on Cueto or Zimmermann anyway.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
$20M+ a years for starters. Cubs offer was not even close to that.

I think to get Shark to avoid free agency you have to offer a competitive AAV and hope he's willing to shave a year or two off the length of the deal. I could possibly see him taking a 5 year, $120M extension early in the season.

Also, he had nowhere near the desire to play for the Cubs like he does the Sox. Hes a Sox fan and they treated him like s***. The Sox wont have to overpay

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
I'm calling BS on this. If he wasn't looking for "top dollar" in a contract, he would've signed an extension with the Sox already.

Already? Like before the season starts? Eh, not so sure about that. There is clear mutual interest there, lets see if they come to an agreement. I think its closer than people think. Theyve had more discussion than players who HAVE signed with the Sox, lets put it that way. As long as the communication lines are open its a good thing.

Of course, he could tank this year and maybe we dont want him long term. I have a friend who is a scout who swears that he is about to fall off a cliff and be a HUGE ripoff.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)
Already? Like before the season starts? Eh, not so sure about that. There is clear mutual interest there, lets see if they come to an agreement. I think its closer than people think. Theyve had more discussion than players who HAVE signed with the Sox, lets put it that way. As long as the communication lines are open its a good thing.

Of course, he could tank this year and maybe we dont want him long term. I have a friend who is a scout who swears that he is about to fall off a cliff and be a HUGE ripoff.

With Rodon, Montas, Danish, Johnson, Beck and the #1 pick in the draft, not to mention the compensation pick in 2016....they're definitely not forced to make a deal with Samardzija that causes discomfort in the front office and owner's booth.

I know its only ST but the way shark has pitched, he's doing the Sox a favor by waiting until after the season for his next contract. Who's to say he will pitch as well in 15 as he did in 14? If I'm the Sox, I wait and see how he pitches this year and come Nov/Dec decide on offering a contract.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
I know its only ST but the way shark has pitched, he's doing the Sox a favor by waiting until after the season for his next contract. Who's to say he will pitch as well in 15 as he did in 14? If I'm the Sox, I wait and see how he pitches this year and come Nov/Dec decide on offering a contract.

this is spring training, pitchers are suppose to use this time to work the kinks out, to stretch their are, loosen up the shoulder. etc.....

let wait for regular games.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)

Did he say why he expects JS to fall off the proverbial cliff?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
Then answer this. If he plays out the season, really likes playing for the White Sox but they offer him $20 million less than another team he has never played for, so any of this "getting to know each other" would start all over again, do you really think he would sign with the White Sox?

The fact is, he says he has to "get to know" the White Sox, but when he is a free agent, unless he signs with a team he has already played with, he already knows more about the White Sox, than he does that team.

It is about the money. The White Sox may be able to be short, but only slightly. You don't risk what he is risking carrying this out to free agency if money isn't one of the highest priorities. He can sign right now for more money than he or a couple of generations of his family will ever need.

All these "reading between the lines" posts are fantasy. He said he doesn't want to discuss a contract during the season. He wants to be a free agent. That isn't a guy who seems destined to stay.

Why would you sign a massive contract with a team before feeling them out? Obviously that's an advantage you have, he can't do that this offseason with teams . But he can make sure he doesn't get stuck in a disaster or a place he doesn't like for 6 years right now. Might as well take that time.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 06:28 PM)
Why would you sign a massive contract with a team before feeling them out? Obviously that's an advantage you have, he can't do that this offseason with teams . But he can make sure he doesn't get stuck in a disaster or a place he doesn't like for 6 years right now. Might as well take that time.

b/c money counts and makes up for the little things. esp if the difference is 5+ mill.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)

And that is exactly what he has said. He also hinted at some Mickey Mouse stuff on other teams he has been around.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
this is spring training, pitchers are suppose to use this time to work the kinks out, to stretch their are, loosen up the shoulder. etc.....

let wait for regular games.

I agree and its why I'm glad there has not been a contract between the Sox and JS. He could pitch very well and command a kings Ransome, he could fall on his face and make all of us glad an extension never happened. Waiting this out is the best for the Sox, JS and the fan base. I would hate to see the Sox handcuffed by another bad contract given to a veteran based on their past. I'm sure we were all happy when Danks signed last contract with the Sox and look how happy we are now.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)

So you do realize if he signs with anyome but the Cubs, A's, or White Sox, that is exactly what he is going to do. Getting to free agency maximizes the dollars.he already said he will NOT negotiate during the season. No one should kid themselves, he is looking to get paid. If he grew up a Sox fan, he knows signing with the White Sox isn't a total disaster.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
So you do realize if he signs with anyome but the Cubs, A's, or White Sox, that is exactly what he is going to do. Getting to free agency maximizes the dollars.he already said he will NOT negotiate during the season. No one should kid themselves, he is looking to get paid. If he grew up a Sox fan, he knows signing with the White Sox isn't a total disaster.

Absolutely agree Dick. JS has made it clear since last summer that going to FA is his goal and is looking forward to it. This is Jeff's one chance of getting that big payday contract so anyone thinking JS will pass on that due to his White Sox fandom is delusional and ignoring everything he has said over the last year or so. I did not like the idea of trading for JS to begin with, even before the trade, but I give him credit for being consistent with his words. If an extension never happens, fans have nobody to blame but their self for getting their hopes up in the first place.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is a players desire to win. Sure money talks and many players consider their family and or team chemistry before signing with a team but I think high up on the list is winning a ring. I'm not suggesting we'll win one anytime soon but we're not looking to bad now and for the future.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Mar 30, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is a players desire to win. Sure money talks and many players consider their family and or team chemistry before signing with a team but I think high up on the list is winning a ring. I'm not suggesting we'll win one anytime soon but we're not looking to bad now and for the future.

good point, there were many times in the past, where a player would say, he was taking less, b/c of the opportunity to win a WS ring is greater with this team over that.

nice catch.