David Robertson is a f***ing beast.

Steve9347

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
if i remember correctly, no one said anything negative when the sox signed him, it was all positive. now for those who may have wondered, jump on the boat. this is why the sox needed him.

sox in 15.

I wouldn't say that.

Just that it was atypical for the White Sox to sink so much money into a closer (last time was probably Koch)...instead, preferring to find bargains from their minor league system like Howry, Keith Foulke, Bobby Jenks, Sergio Santos, Hector Santiago, Addison Reed, etc.

Robertson's being paid as an elite, top 3-5 closer in the game. That's fine, as long as the performance is close to in line with those expectations.

It's when pitchers like Santos or Carlos Marmol or Papelbon completely fall off the map or get injured and you have to pay them $36 million or whatever that the problems arise.

Clearly, though, the Sox would have preferred for someone like Petricka or Webb to have seized the role (internally) and run with it. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, Hahn was put into a corner and had to do something entering 2015.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
I wouldn't say that.

Just that it was atypical for the White Sox to sink so much money into a closer (last time was probably Koch)...instead, preferring to find bargains from their minor league system like Howry, Keith Foulke, Bobby Jenks, Sergio Santos, Hector Santiago, Addison Reed, etc.

Robertson's being paid as an elite, top 3-5 closer in the game. That's fine, as long as the performance is close to in line with those expectations.

It's when pitchers like Santos or Carlos Marmol or Papelbon completely fall off the map or get injured and you have to pay them $36 million or whatever that the problems arise.

Clearly, though, the Sox would have preferred for someone like Petricka or Webb to have seized the role (internally) and run with it. When it became obvious that wasn't going to happen, Hahn was put into a corner and had to do something entering 2015.

Well, a month in, I'd say he has exceeded expectations.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
Well, a month in, I'd say he has exceeded expectations.

Agreed.

More importantly, the team's mindset is MUCH more confident when we have a 1-2 run lead...not waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Seriously, last year, Beckham's throw wouldn't have been corralled by Abreu and then that ball hit to DeAza/Viciedo becomes a game-tying double and probably the entire game is blown as happened frequently enough last year with Blow-a-savio or Petricka.

Instead, the players cinched it up and hunkered down and made the plays that needed to be made to preserve the victory...instead of being the victim of circumstances or "bad breaks."

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
if i remember correctly, no one said anything negative when the sox signed him, it was all positive. now for those who may have wondered, jump on the boat. this is why the sox needed him.

sox in 15.

I remember someone was trashing him... I can't remember who but it was one of my first few weeks on the board. But someone was trashing Robertson like he was Joe Nathan or something.

He's been dominate for along time. This is only his 2nd year closing but as a SU for Rivera he was filthy.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Apr 27, 2015 -> 02:36 AM)
I remember someone was trashing him... I can't remember who but it was one of my first few weeks on the board. But someone was trashing Robertson like he was Joe Nathan or something.

He's been dominate for along time. This is only his 2nd year closing but as a SU for Rivera he was filthy.

then i was wrong, but it was only 1 person. still the overwhelming amount was for the signing.