The White Sox bullpen is nails

Dick Allen

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, delete this thread.

Every time....and I mean every single time, someone says something like this, it backfires.

Remember all the accolades in 2003?

And I wouldn't be penciling in Jake Petricka as a future All-Star just yet.

If the White Sox can go the next 15 or so games and only allow 3 ER from their entire bullpen over 60+ innings, then, and only then...should this thread have life.

If they can have an entire series without the bullpen giving up runs to the Detroit line-up (especially at Comerica in a tie game late), then we'll be much more likely to be convinced.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:05 PM)
Please, delete this thread.

Every time....and I mean every single time, someone says something like this, it backfires.

Remember all the accolades in 2003?

And I wouldn't be penciling in Jake Petricka as a future All-Star just yet.

If the White Sox can go the next 15 or so games and only allow 3 ER from their entire bullpen over 60+ innings, then, and only then...should this thread have life.

If they can have an entire series without the bullpen giving up runs to the Detroit line-up (especially at Comerica in a tie game late), then we'll be much more likely to be convinced.

Go read kansascity.com and tell us what Hosmer likes to eat for lunch. White Sox rule.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 06:01 PM)
I thought Petricka was going to be the 8th inning guy?

In an ideal world, it would be healthy versions of Crain or Nate Jones.

In the current White Sox world, it's Petricka/Guerra/Putnam/Duke.

Most would argue Albers and Guerra should be behind Petricka, although Putnam definitely has his doubters/skeptics about another repeat performance.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:08 PM)
In an ideal world, it would be healthy versions of Crain or Nate Jones.

In the current White Sox world, it's Petricka/Guerra/Putnam/Duke.

Most would argue Albers and Guerra should be behind Petricka, although Putnam definitely has his doubters/skeptics about another repeat performance.

I think most everyone here would rather have a setup duo of Petricka/Duke than Crain/Jones. Neither one of those last two has proved much in a long time.

Another thing, maybe we want to actually get to .500 before we start considering any aspect of our team "elite" maybe.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128

Maybe when we enter the Top 10 in the majors for bullpen ERA, for example...or top 3-5.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/p...ded/order/false

Opposing OPS, 9th.

WHIP, just 17th.

Not nails.

At least not yet. Once again, if they put up KC's numbers for the next 15-20 games, we can revisit this thread again.

Let's not confuse ROBERTSON is the truth and conflate it with the rest of the pen, because if you strip out his numbers we're a bottom 1/3rd bullpen surely.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)
Another thing, maybe we want to actually get to .500 before we start considering any aspect of our team "elite" maybe.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128

Maybe when we enter the Top 10 in the majors for bullpen ERA, for example...or top 3-5.

Opposing OPS, 9th.

WHIP, just 17th.

Not nails.

At least not yet. Once again, if they put up KC's numbers for the next 15-20 games, we can revisit this thread again.

Petricka and Rodon are new additions. The bullpen stats are out of whack because of Drabek. Your Royals had a ton of trouble., bit did score a run. The Royals fade has started. My condolences.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 06:46 PM)
Petricka and Rodon are new additions. The bullpen stats are out of whack because of Drabek. Your Royals had a ton of trouble., bit did score a run. The Royals fade has started. My condolences.

Fine, you take out Drabek and Robertson (the two outliers/anomalies) and see what you're left with, lol. (This whole cherry-picking of stats thing is reminiscent of arguing that Danks was really effective last year if you erase all of his atrocious starts.)

Robertson can't pitch in every single game.

The front end of the bullpen has to come through, so does the defense as well.

It's going to be pretty surprising to me if Carlos Rodon (with his control issues, which will be exacerbated by the trip to the pen) is close to as effective as Chris Sale was in 2010 and 2011.

The fact of the matter is that we're fine with Jennings and Duke.

Rodon should and will be starting eventually....so saying Rodon has pushed the pen into "elite status" is basically the same argument as saying that adding Montas, Sanburn or Danish late in the year will have the same effect.

By the way, you're also making a huge assumption that he's going to be utilized correctly by Ventura. Time will tell.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 06:49 PM)
I just wonder why anytime you post positive comments about the White Sox, Caulfield opposes and always seems to mention the Royals.

I womder if it will be another 30 years until their next playoff appearance.

Because they're our divisional competitor and happen to be well ahead of the White Sox in every single bullpen category.

If the White Sox had the bullpen of the Twins or Indians or even the Tigers (outside of Soria), then there would be no need to mention them at all.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
On the day Puig hit the DL this is not cool.

Sorry for actually watching and enjoying other teams and players outside of the White Sox.

I guess I should be crucified by the D.A. Witch-Hunting Brigade. It's great to have so many knowledgeable and passionate fans who can rate the "fandom" of others...and that always goes over all so well when accusations get thrown around back and forth...which leads to tagged threads at the top of the page warning about personal attacks.

(Note, this board is going to be really really boring this season if DA has to interject an anti-Royals screed into every thread. If a baseball fan and fellow competitor can't appreciate a historic bullpen start by another team, the best since 1969, I don't know what to say or think.)

http://nbcchicago.csnchicago.com/white-sox...t-hell-out-team

"I respect the hell out of that team, I really do," Eaton said. "I think they play the game the right way.... What happened, two competitive teams scratching for the same goal. Sometimes it gets the best of you. Ventura is a heck of a competitor. I respect the heck out of him and everyone behind him. I’m a competitor as well...They are a young group of guys who go about their business in an exciting and aggressive way," Eaton said. "And that’s why we have the utmost respect for them. They’ve earned everything they’ve gotten and now they want to keep it. You don’t expect anything less."

Luckily, the Salem Witch trials and the time of the Scarlet Letter passed a long time ago...or did it?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)
Because they're our divisional competitor and happen to be well ahead of the White Sox in every single bullpen category.

If the White Sox had the bullpen of the Twins or Indians or even the Tigers (outside of Soria), then there would be no need to mention them at all.

Just post White Sox bullpen is nails and Caulfield gets upset.

Vs. the great KC Royals

11 IP

8 hits

1 earned run

0 walks

15 strikeouts

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
Sorry for actually watching and enjoying other teams and players outside of the White Sox.

I guess I should be crucified by the D.A. Witch-Hunting Brigade.

Luckily, the Salem Witch trials and the time of the Scarlet Letter passed a long time ago...or did it?

You don't enjoy White Sox players. When you talk about WAR, you can mention 25 failed prospects but totally forget the most successful.

Edited by Dick Allen

Caulfield:

Rodon will have to go to the pen at some point probably just because of innings. I'd rather see him work as a starter now and deal with any innings limit down the road but it is what it is. It also makes sense to let Danks and Noesi try and build any trade value they might have. Obviously that's a long shot but John Danks actually looked pretty damn good today. If he can keep it up, he might just be an asset. Unlikely but today was the best he's looked imo since before the injury.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:15 PM)
Just post White Sox bullpen is nails and Caulfield gets upset.

Of course, for the 10 millionth time, you don't address the fact that even with David Robertson's incredible start, the overall team bullpen WHIP isn't even in the top half of major league teams...we're on the outside looking in at most of the top 10 bullpen categories....so you just say something inane like "it's true because I said it's true" and then expect what?

We should just take your word for it because of David Robertson's incredible pitching performance today being extrapolated well beyond into something it is not, at least not yet?

It's not about getting upset. It's simply the fact that we're not even 20 games into the season...it's like someone said in a thread before the Sale start, guaranteeing a win, you just can't afford to take anything for granted.

Because, as Hawk Harrelson says, as soon as you start to do that, it will come right back up and bite you in the butt.

Edited by caulfield12