Baltimore Riots

greg775

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
Not really the point I'm making.

I'm saying that for a job so dangerous, if you want really good candidates, you can't offer them a low salary and crappy benefits.

i am saying, not you, but the argument is more money for the salary. screw that. do a in house cleaning first, then go out and find candidates to fill those spots. in time the rest will take care of itself.

clean the house first!!!!!

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:30 AM)
Someone else highlighted this point in this thread, but I'd like to reiterate what they said. When speaking of Chicago, the requirements to become a police officer were lowered (it used to require 2 years of college, it now requires none), and as a known dangerous job that starts at about 43k a year, complete with a pension package that grows worse by the year (newer police pensions payouts are much lower than older), worse medical benefits, etc...it's hard to attract good people for such a dangerous job with crappy benefits.

So, in saying that, is it a surprise that policing across the nation seems to be gathering more and more bad apples?

Just to clarify, NSS and I were discussing the Denver PD regarding a decrease in requirements to join the force. A quick Google search seems to indicate that the Chicago PD does in fact still require a minimum of 2 years of college. Though Google is certainly not infallible.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)
Just to clarify, NSS and I were discussing the Denver PD regarding a decrease in requirements to join the force. A quick Google search seems to indicate that the Chicago PD does in fact still require a minimum of 2 years of college. Though Google is certainly not infallible.

That remains the requirement but veterans get an exception. To be promoted though you need the schooling.

$43K for a new officer in their early 20's is not a bad gig and the benefits for the CPD are not bad.

Is it an ideal job, no, that is getting on the Chicago Fire Department.

In my opinion social media will continue to be a larger negative influence than it is a benefit.

i don't know. i think many are really avoiding the point.

the f***ing house is f***ed up. fix it before it gets worse. make all the excuses you want, there are great people working on those PD, but they are getting painted black b/c of f***ed up cops.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
I have a hard time believing that major cities don't get good candidates. CPD gets thousands of applicants for very few spots. They can pick and choose the good candidates.

You're assuming the process is set up that way.

Departments vary of course. But especially in large cities like Chicago, there are all sorts of stilited testing and point systems that involve lots of things not related to likely future success in police work. So while I'm sure they do get good candidates, I'm equally sure the people who get hired are not the best of the crop. Some will be good, others won't.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)

Which makes it even more interesting when you look at those salary numbers I showed earlier. Chicago requires 2 years' of schooling, but pays far less than other city departments (especially when adjusted for C.O.L.). That combo right there narrows your pool considerably.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
i don't know. i think many are really avoiding the point.

the f***ing house is f***ed up. fix it before it gets worse. make all the excuses you want, there are great people working on those PD, but they are getting painted black b/c of f***ed up cops.

You can't clean up the house when there is a shortage of applicants. You can clean up the house when there is a mile long waiting list of qualified applicants.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
You can't clean up the house when there is a shortage of applicants. You can clean up the house when there is a mile long waiting list of qualified applicants.

let me see if i got this right, there are some crooked cops, the IA knows of this, but since there is a shortage of good applicants, ergo you won't do anything..

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
There was a whole section in here about the "2 years of college" minimum.

OK you mean the cops then? I had no idea what you were referring to.

It isn't that those 2 years in college teach them something in classes that will make the difference. It is a combination of life experience, the inherent bar to reach in even completing two years of school, and forcing candidates to engage the job as a career move instead of a "what do I do now" thing. Those all increase the quality of candidates.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
I think the question people need to ask when judging here is, do you think the citizens of Baltimore have a right to protest over another example of police brutality.

And if that is yes, would you forfeit your act of protest if subset of the group were destructive?

Also, for Chicago. For as useless and stupid as the riots may be in each literal aspect, Chicago could just as easily be facing this soon. Their police dept. does many of the same things as was listed in Ferguson. They literally had a torture ring. They have poor performers, and the climate is right now that a violent police situation may tear this city apart too. This isn't just a Baltimore problem.

So my point is, Chicago needs to get ahead, and not just plan for riots. Like...try to solve these issues.

e.g., with some pretty callous quotes from the police superintendent thrown in for good measure.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
e.g., with some pretty callous quotes from the police superintendent thrown in for good measure.

out of all that, i only see a couple of things that i have a problem. the biggest is,

from inside his Mercedes at four people

so and this goes to an earlier discussion of salary for the cops.

Off-duty, unregistered handgun, firing over his shoulder at a crowd because he "feared for his life" from a man with a cellphone.

here's the quotes from the superintendent:

"And my concern was how is this going to affect policing in general in the Chicago Police Department because every single officer who's out there now might be in a position where they hesitate, and as a result, they could lose their lives."

"… It's something that should not have happened, period. Absolutely, positively not," McCarthy said in reference to Boyd's death. "But what I will point out to you … is that Detective Servin hit the individual who he was aiming at. He also happened to hit her."
Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 11:00 PM)
Off-duty, unregistered handgun, firing over his shoulder at a crowd because he "feared for his life" from a man with a cellphone.

here's the quotes from the superintendent:

the one thing that bug me was, he followed them, while being off duty and shoot over his shoulder.

and what happen if one of the strays kill an innocent elderly person, who was walking to the residents door.

this is the second part that is killing me, no pun intended.

shooting over his shouolder.....why follow them.

i know, he must have been in fear for his car.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:51 PM)
out of all that, i only see a couple of things that i have a problem. the biggest is,

so and this goes to an earlier discussion of salary for the cops.

A superintendent is akin to a CEO. Most of the cops don't make near what a superintendent makes...so the comparison just isn't there.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 06:31 PM)
A superintendent is akin to a CEO. Most of the cops don't make near what a superintendent makes...so the comparison just isn't there.

The guy with the Mercedes was the off duty detective, not the superintendent. But for all we know it's a 1995 merc with 150k miles on the clock.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 12:31 AM)

pls reread the article.

and get off the point of salary. the point and counter point is, the house is screwed up with a couple bad cops, for the most part, 98% are cleaned and do their job. they go unrecognized and unappreciated. yeah those PO deserved a raise, something like after 10 yrs of services.

but the other point is clean the mess that those idiots that gives the law enforcement people, they got a bad name by association. it is plain and simple.

with that, i am thru. until something new comes out.

peace

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 04:16 AM)
http://thedailyrecord.com/2015/04/28/rioti...-investigation/

God help Baltimore if they refuse to bring charges against the 6 officers...just can't imagine it happening with the environment as charged as it is right now.

Mosby (State's Attorney) has only been on the job for roughly 100 days.

man, it can be worse than what went on in MO. however, what are the rules of pressing charges against them. do they get protection first from the union or after.

second, do they have to have some kind of board on inquiry first??

so who ever are the lawyers here, need to answer these questions if they want too.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
If people are actually believing the Crips and Bloods to be the voice of reason, Baltimore is in a lot worse shape than anyone realizes.

Yeah, the TV piece where the woman interviewed the gang members sickened me. They were saying they want no riots and peace. I mean these are f***ing GANG members.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
the B's and C's are nothing but a criminal org who is trying to get some fluff piece. if it was them who did the saying.

I agree. I think they just wanted to get on TV. The CNN reporter was acting like they were some group trying to protect the city. They said "we are all brothers" and all of a sudden the Crips and Bloods were pals.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
I think the question people need to ask when judging here is, do you think the citizens of Baltimore have a right to protest over another example of police brutality.

And if that is yes, would you forfeit your act of protest if subset of the group were destructive?

Also, for Chicago. For as useless and stupid as the riots may be in each literal aspect, Chicago could just as easily be facing this soon. Their police dept. does many of the same things as was listed in Ferguson. They literally had a torture ring. They have poor performers, and the climate is right now that a violent police situation may tear this city apart too. This isn't just a Baltimore problem.

So my point is, Chicago needs to get ahead, and not just plan for riots. Like...try to solve these issues.

I think all mayors better be scared to death. Once a major city has a formal protest organized, especially if that protest is in the evening, it doesn't take much for the mob to start a riot. I mean what's going to happen when Baltimore has a downtown baseball game again and all those people are starting to congregate in one place. They better hope it's a good day and not the day they decide to press no charges vs. the cops in this case.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
pls reread the article.

and get off the point of salary. the point and counter point is, the house is screwed up with a couple bad cops, for the most part, 98% are cleaned and do their job. they go unrecognized and unappreciated. yeah those PO deserved a raise, something like after 10 yrs of services.

but the other point is clean the mess that those idiots that gives the law enforcement people, they got a bad name by association. it is plain and simple.

with that, i am thru. until something new comes out.

peace

The way you worded you last post about salary made it sound like you were saying cops are already overpaid, I mean, after all they all drive around in Mercedes...I was, again, pointing out that's not the case.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 29, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
http://thedailyrecord.com/2015/04/28/rioti...-investigation/

God help Baltimore if they refuse to bring charges against the 6 officers...just can't imagine it happening with the environment as charged as it is right now.

Mosby (State's Attorney) has only been on the job for roughly 100 days.

What charges would you like to see?........Murder?.... Negligence?

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Apr 30, 2015 -> 06:53 AM)
What charges would you like to see?........Murder?.... Negligence?

From the sound of it, they handcuffed the guy and gave him the blender treatment in the back of the van. That's at least some sort of serious assault charges, or possibly whatever Maryland calls deadly assault. Murder might be within reach but I'd want to know more about the case first before I made that guess. In any case, hard to see how there wouldn't be very serious charges.