GT 5/29: White Sox (21-25) vs. Astros (30-18)

Eminor3rd

Combined strikeouts by starting pitchers  

24 members have voted

1. 1. O/U: 13.5

• Over
    • Under

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2015 -> 11:36 PM)
So you wanted Flowers to get an extra base hit?

What's more likely, the White Sox giving up an out or Tyler Flowers doing something positive? It's about a 25% chance of the Sox doing things right either way.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:35 PM)
I liked the call...you don't play for the next inning in that situation. A steal and a flare is easily your best chance of scoring in that situation. Typically, you think a speedy guy will be successful against a righty power reliever.

Anyone except Flowers sure. Chance of him getting a hit is low, and quite frankly I'll take my chances on him hitting a HR or fighting through the bottom of the 10th than Shuck successfully stealing a base AND Flowers getting a base hit or risk starting the 11th with him at-bat.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2015 -> 11:37 PM)
Hey, my mlb feed must be way behind yours. Just now I watched the caught stealing with Flowers up.

If your feed falls behind, try clicking where it says "Live". For me that causes it to catch up.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:30 PM)
He's hitting 327 and his upside is a star. I think Carlos Lee to be honest. Pretty good upside.

If Avi had a BABIP of .315 (splitting the difference between last year's .285 and 2013's .344, his triple slash (even if you remove nearly all singles) is somewhere around .245/.288/.381. Adjust it a little up if you think he's a naturally higher BABIP hitter. And if his BABIP was lower his ISO is probably higher. But it does show his line is mostly BABIP-generated. Unless you think he can maintain a BABIP around .411, or that he'll supplement a drop with a big power surge or increase in walks, I don't see how he's a great hitter right now (and before I hear he's "earned" a high BABIP with a lot of line drives, they are not at all sustainable).

Then you get to the fact that his defence and baserunning are brutal, and I just don't see the big upside.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
If Avi had a BABIP of .315 (splitting the difference between last year's .285 and 2013's .344, his triple slash (even if you remove nearly all singles) is somewhere around .245/.288/.381. Adjust it a little up if you think he's a naturally higher BABIP hitter. And if his BABIP was lower his ISO is probably higher. But it does show his line is mostly BABIP-generated. Unless you think he can maintain a BABIP around .411, or that he'll supplement a drop with a big power surge or increase in walks, I don't see how he's a great hitter right now (and before I hear he's "earned" a high BABIP with a lot of line drives, they are not at all sustainable).

Then you get to the fact that his defence and baserunning are brutal, and I just don't see the big upside.

He's not great yet but he's trending upwards which is a good sign. He puts in the work which is a good sign. part of my opinion is inside info plus faith. He's the type of guy you really really want to fulfill his potential.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2015 -> 04:45 AM)
He's not great yet but he's trending upwards which is a good sign. He puts in the work which is a good sign. part of my opinion is inside info plus faith. He's the type of guy you really really want to fulfill his potential.

They relied on him developing power way too much coming into the season. They needed one more big bat, IMO.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2015 -> 03:47 AM)
Death by paper cuts in this inning.

What are the odds of escaping?

Very slim. We aren't going to score again so it might as well mercifully end here.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)

Sure. I want it too. I just don't see it. I'd bet his OBP will be right around .300 the rest of the way home.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 29, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
Death by paper cuts in this inning.

What are the odds of escaping?

Based on this year's efforts and unluckiness, not good. 1 in 3 maybe? Over/under of 3.5

Call me an optimist but I'll go with over because, I don't know....things have to change eventually.....hopefully.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 29, 2015 -> 11:46 PM)
Unfortunately we took Putnam out a batter too late. Hate bringing in another reliever with a runner on 2nd with one out.

Altuve has an OPS of .671 against righties and 1.021 against lefties. If you're putting Jennings in (out of this fairly depleted bullpen) you can't humanly put him in against Altuve. If you wanted to put someone else in it would be Noesi, and then you can't do the lefty/lefty matchup against Tucker because you need Noesi to just go forever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
Robin was not pleased there. He took that ball from Putnam and didn't look at him.

Very tentative. Afraid Springer would homer...just doesn't have much confidence in his stuff right now. Hoping they will fish for pitches outside of the zone like Valbuena did.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
Altuve has an OPS of .671 against righties and 1.021 against lefties. If you're putting Jennings in (out of this fairly depleted bullpen) you can't humanly put him in against Altuve. If you wanted to put someone else in it would be Noesi, and then you can't do the lefty/lefty matchup against Tucker because you need Noesi to just go forever.

Humanely?

The White Sox are evoking words that belong more appropriately with animal shelters and death row inmates at this point.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2015 -> 11:49 PM)

Gattis also has a .535 OPS against lefties and .810 against righties, so Jennings getting these 2 guys is the best matchup.