Dan Jennings

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 05:32 PM)
And that's all the players' fault, not the front office's fault, at least that's what I've been told.

That's a ridiculous twisting of a lot of words. It's Dan Jennings fault that Dan Jennings sucks. No one ever said the make-up of the roster wasn't the fault of the front office.

But if you want to treat lack of bullpen depth like an obvious issue that was reasonably fixable, then show me where you pointed it out during the offseason, and explain to me why it's reasonable to expect that the FO could turn the worst bullpen in baseball into a bulletproof squad that's three deep with MLB options from both sides of the rubber over the course of four months.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
That's a ridiculous twisting of a lot of words. It's Dan Jennings fault that Dan Jennings sucks. No one ever said the make-up of the roster wasn't the fault of the front office.

But if you want to treat lack of bullpen depth like an obvious issue that was reasonably fixable, then show me where you pointed it out during the offseason, and explain to me why it's reasonable to expect that the FO could turn the worst bullpen in baseball into a bulletproof squad that's three deep with MLB options from both sides of the rubber over the course of four months.

I disagree, I feel like I've been hearing a lot of that, and not just on this board.

I will admit the back end of the bullpen does not warrant much criticism, as it's hard as can be to fill out, even with a good bullpen.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
He's turned into Scott Downs.

I'm still wondering why Robertson or Putnam weren't pitching in the 11th.

I think they were saving Robertson if they had a lead, and Putnam must have been unavailable for some reason.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
I know he's a righty, not a lefty like Jennings. But Aardsma posted an ERA in the 2's in AAA and lead the league in saves. Released by the Dodgers yesterday. Seems like he could slot in and do well.

If Aardsma is the answer, I don't want to ask the question.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 08:27 AM)
I disagree, I feel like I've been hearing a lot of that, and not just on this board.

I will admit the back end of the bullpen does not warrant much criticism, as it's hard as can be to fill out, even with a good bullpen.

It's the difference between holding Melky Cabrera responsible for his own bad play and claiming that the team wouldn't have been successful even IF Melky & friends had performed as expected.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
We're always one or two years late.

Dunn, Downs, Keppinger, Cabrera, LaRoche, dealing Alexei, Samardzija/selling low on Semien...

Was is Veeck that said "I'd rather trade a player one year early than one year late"?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
Was is Veeck that said "I'd rather trade a player one year early than one year late"?

Quite a few front office people....hard to pinpoint just one.

Brett Anderson is a name that nobody trusted this offseason but he would have been a better move since we would have controlled his rights multiple years, not given up any talent and corned the lefty pitching market.

Rasmus would have been a better solution than Cabrera....younger, better defender, takes more walks and more pop.

Not to mention Kendrys Morales going to the Royals and Victor Martinez staying might have decided the division.

Free agency is always a crapshoot...especially for the White Sox.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)

Brett Anderson is a name that nobody trusted this offseason but he would have been a better move since we would have controlled his rights multiple years, not given up any talent and corned the lefty pitching market.

Rasmus would have been a better solution than Cabrera....younger, better defender, takes more walks and more pop.

Not to mention Kendrys Morales going to the Royals and Victor Martinez staying might have decided the division.

Martinez has player in only 60% of the Tigers games and has an OPS of .578. If you think he is the difference in the season, you must think Tyler flowers is the savior for the Sox season as he has a higher OPS than Martinez.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:05 AM)
Martinez has player in only 60% of the Tigers games and has an OPS of .578. If you think he is the difference in the season, you must think Tyler flowers is the savior for the Sox season as he has a higher OPS than Martinez.

No, I meant in the Tigers not even making the playoffs...that being a signing we all questioned from the beginning due to his age and injury history, too much risk for the possible reward.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tige...treak/28511877/

Is the Tigers' season already on the brink?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)

.238/.304/.490

.235/.278/.504

yea, massive difference there. Those two more walks make all the difference in the world

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
We're always one or two years late.

Dunn, Downs, Keppinger, Cabrera, LaRoche, dealing Alexei, Samardzija/selling low on Semien...

We may be adding Josh Phegley to that list. In fairness, Semien has had a good bat but a bad glove

Realistically, Dan Jennings has to be starting to feel the heat. He knows that Albers is still out there healing, and needs a roster spot. There are also Crain and Jones out there in limbo somewhere who both could also be back.

Out of curiosity, does Jennings have options left?

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)
He's turned into Scott Downs.

I'm still wondering why Robertson or Putnam weren't pitching in the 11th.

Jennings has struggled for sure but you use the pitching staff you have and of course they like those match ups. But, we have a couple that have really struggled in Jennings and Noesi. But, last night that relif corp of ours played with fire and finally the team got burned.