6/8/15 Gamethread Sale vs McCullers

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:03 PM)
I wonder how much longer Hahn will be cool with Flowers & Sanchez in the starting lineup. With the amount of high-paid regulars struggling, we can't tolerate a complete lack of offensive production at the bottom of the order.

Flowers has clearly proven he's not an everyday catcher. Not sure if he'd be an improvement, but I'd give Kottaras a look in a part-time role. As for Sanchez, he's currently sitting on a .400 OPS. I don't care how good his defense is, he's a negative value player right now. I stand by claim that Micah Johnson should never have been sent down in the first place. But given that they clearly don't feel confident with his defense, simply split time at 2B between Beckham & Bonifacio (Gordon could play 3B against RHP).

Steve Stone seems to advocate the position that at every level Sanchez has been at, he's been the youngest in the league at that point, and that his game catches up to that level fairly quickly. Stone also seems to intimate that will happen at this level at some point as well, that his bat will catch up. He seems overmatched at the moment, but maybe he'll get there with a little more patience.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
"Lance McCullers is one of the best 24 year old right handers I've ever seen. Period!"

Jesus Hawk.

I honestly was just thinking how annoying Hawk has gotten when I heard him say this. His extended absence from the booth has made this more clear than ever.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 11:14 PM)
ALERT!! BREAKING NEWS!

****Tyler Flowers' batting average is BELOW .200****

Sanchez is below .150 (.145), at some point you gotta go back to Micah and trade for a catcher.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
Steve Stone seems to advocate the position that at every level Sanchez has been at, he's been the youngest in the league at that point, and that his game catches up to that level fairly quickly. Stone also seems to intimate that will happen at this level at some point as well, that his bat will catch up. He seems overmatched at the moment, but maybe he'll get there with a little more patience.

There's no doubt he's not this bad offensively, but IMO the bat doesn't project enough to be a regular and therefore we shouldn't endure his growing pains while we attempt to compete. At least Micah has a shot of being our long-term 2B.

QUOTE (Condor13 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:19 PM)
Sanchez is below .150 (.145), at some point you gotta go back to Micah and trade for a catcher.

Or Bonifacio, Beckham, Everth Cabrera....something.

Micah, it's too quick to jerk him around like that, would really mess with his development IMO.

If they really like Dominguez, they can try him at 3B over Gillaspie and send down Sanchez.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 09:21 PM)
There's no doubt he's not this bad offensively, but IMO the bat doesn't project enough to be a regular and therefore we shouldn't endure his growing pains while we attempt to compete. At least Micah has a shot of being our long-term 2B.

The question is will Micah's defense ever get to a point where you can tolerate it? It was pretty bad. If he can, then I agree he is the long term solution to the position.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 03:30 AM)
Even on a night where Chris Sale is other worldly, The Misery Crew is here to take a sledgehammer to people's ankles. Thanks to all of the Kathy Bates' of So talk.

Did you see what Sanchez did?

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
The question is will Micah's defense ever get to a point where you can tolerate it? It was pretty bad. If he can, then I agree he is the long term solution to the position.

I personally think Micah was pressing and would have improved significantly as the season progressed. He's most definitely a flawed defensive player, but no way in hell is he as bad as he played earlier this year. Just like Sanchez with the bat, we were going through some growing pains with the glove for Micah. I thought it was foolish to send down Micah only to go through a second young player's growing pains, but that's essentially what we've done, but again this time for a guy most project as a utility player.

Whether or not Micah should have made the opening day roster, once we went with him as the opening day starter, we should have committed to him for a few months. Unfortunately, the organization overreacted to his struggles with the glove and made him the scapegoat for our team's defensive problems. Sanchez has definitely improved our defense, but he's been completely worthless with the at-bat. And it came at the cost of one of our few hitters who took a lot of pitches, got on base at decent clip, and who had the potential be dangerous on the basepaths.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:30 PM)
Even on a night where Chris Sale is other worldly, The Misery Crew is here to take a sledgehammer to people's ankles. Thanks to all of the Kathy Bates' of So talk.

Please lol... yeah we can win when Chris Sale pitches.

We all know that... however what about the rest of the week?

I'll be happy and pretend I didn't see a bunch of horrible/brainless at bats tonight which is the official trademark of the Whitesox the past few seasons.

Edited by harkness