Well, it's that time of year again....2015 edition

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12-6 the last 18, and won 7 of those 12 games scoring 3 or fewer runs. That's not a good sign, but if this season proves anything, you don't have to be a consistently good baseball team to make the postseason.

It's going to be an interesting 3 weeks.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 08:09 AM)
12-6 the last 18, and won 7 of those 12 games scoring 3 or fewer runs. That's not a good sign, but if this season proves anything, you don't have to be a consistently good baseball team to make the postseason.

It's going to be an interesting 3 weeks.

Yup, I'm waiting a bit to start selling. If they can get to .500 in their 10 game stretch against KC, the Cards, and Cleveland I might just ride it out and hope for best. If they can get to the playoffs anything can happen when you throw out that rotation.

Hell I might even try to trade EJ and or Micah for a bat if the Sox are within 3 games of the 2nd wild card come July 27th......But then again I'm just forever the optimist.

Edited by scs787

On one hand, it's the Twins who are 5.5 games ahead of us.

On the other, there are about 8 other teams in the race as well (in some ways, the Cubs probably have the same hesitancy about "going for it" this year as we have about trading Shark when the team's finally going on another hot streak).

Was listening on the way back from the game Thursday afternoon....B&B Show quoted that something like only 6 out of 944 or 946 teams in the history of MLB have made the playoffs with a record of 5 games under .500 or below on July 9th.

So, you have the possibility of sneaking into the last WC spot and getting Chris Sale a start...or sitting on Samardzija until July 31st and hoping his value continues to increase as his ERA comes down into the 3's and he's had a stretch of almost 10 starts with an ERA in the 2's, and pitching deep into games.

Certainly, playing the Royals coming out of the ASB will be huge. With Gordon out, Buxton out, Cabrera out...there's an opening to make up some ground. Sooner or later, they'll have to beat some AL Central teams head-to-head or fold.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)

On the other, there are about 8 other teams in the race as well (in some ways, the Cubs probably have the same hesitancy about "going for it" this year as we have about trading Shark when the team's finally going on another hot streak).

Was listening on the way back from the game Thursday afternoon....B&B Show quoted that something like only 6 out of 944 or 946 teams in the history of MLB have made the playoffs with a record of 5 games under .500 or below on July 9th.

So, you have the possibility of sneaking into the last WC spot and getting Chris Sale a start...or sitting on Samardzija until July 31st and hoping his value continues to increase as his ERA comes down into the 3's and he's had a stretch of almost 10 starts with an ERA in the 2's, and pitching deep into games.

Certainly, playing the Royals coming out of the ASB will be huge. With Gordon out, Buxton out, Cabrera out...there's an opening to make up some ground. Sooner or later, they'll have to beat some AL Central teams head-to-head or fold.

I heard that too, but you have to think a second wild card changes that

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)

true,

but i am truly at an impasse, my logic says it is a huge uphill battle, the sox didn't have any luck this season but bad as a team. sell shark to the highest bidder now.

but the diehard fan in me is saying, those odd can be overcome. this starting 3 pitchers in the playoff..... wow, look out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)

what is the old cliche.... it is not over until it is over.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 07:56 AM)

Especially this season. The A's have the worst record with a .444 winning percentage. That isn't normal.

The Twins have the second best record with a .545 winning percentage. That isn't normal.

It's wide open the rest of the season.

Fangraphs has the Royals, Yankees, and Angels winning their divisions with 88, 87, and 86 wins, respectively. The Astros 85 wins, hosting the wildcard game.

They have NINE teams projected to finish between 79-82 wins, and the Rangers and A's finishing 77-85.

Now will this happen? No. I expect the Royals to win 90-92. I think the Angels may dominate the division the last month of the season, and get close to 90 wins.

Other than that, it's a war of attrition among a sea of mediocrity...including the Sox. What we have on our side is pitching. So there's always a shot if they can get over .500 by the end of the month.

http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 07:56 AM)

Not to mention the skewing that over half of that number comes from a history when only 2 teams made the playoffs, and another 30 years or so of the remaining sample comes from when 4 teams made the playoffs. Yes, 95 years of the 114 years worth of sample is when either 2 or 4 made the playoffs to skew those numbers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
Not to mention the skewing that over half of that number comes from a history when only 2 teams made the playoffs, and another 30 years or so of the remaining sample comes from when 4 teams made the playoffs. Yes, 95 years of the 114 years worth of sample is when either 2 or 4 made the playoffs to skew those numbers.

excellent point.

• 2 weeks later...

I would love the Sox main focus over the course of the next three years (since they always talk about a the year window) to be infrastructure as they just worry about building up the organization's talent base through the minors.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:17 AM)
I would love the Sox main focus over the course of the next three years (since they always talk about a the year window) to be infrastructure as they just worry about building up the organization's talent base through the minors.

Lol - hold it! "The next three years"? That would make the current three year plan a four year plan. No kicking the can down the road! This is sort of the KW approach in many ways, come to think of it. When things aren't going well, to all of a sudden start telling us about "three year boards" and now "three year plans" in an effort to get us to take our eye off the current sad state of affairs and focus on some promised land, which is always somehow three years away.

The current plan is to "maximize the window of opportunity" with the current core, so let's just see it through. We are more than half way through the first year of that maximization approach, and obviously we have not maximized anything, other than to demonstrate how bad a major league team can look on both offense and defense. But between this year's trade deadline and the upcoming offseason's activity we should have a much better idea as to how well the Sox really are going to take advantage of having the current core around. We shall see!