Changes in the booth possible?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
Daron Sutton is my dream announcer for the Sox.

Took the words out of my mouth. He and Stone would be great. Can't believe he hasn't gotten another MLB job since leaving AZ despite his problems.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife, who finds baseball to me the single most boring sport in the world, doesn't mind listening to Farmer and DJ because once an inning they make us crack up.

So all of your opinions are invalid.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
It's really a great channel. I've been watching it more and more.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:33 PM)
I kid you not, it's on my tv almost all the time I'm at home. In the morning waiting for the nanny there's nothing better than Quick Pitch, and at night it's basically NFL RedZone for MLB. I f***ing love that station.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Quick Pitch is just the best.

I find myself getting more and more frustrated with MLB Network. So much of the "analysis" is inane (check out the @HeardonMLBT Twitter), and during the day you have to put up with Chris Russo and f***ing Intentional Talk. They cancelled the best offseason show on there (Clubhouse Confidential). They've even managed to screw up Quick Pitch--it was so much better in the first few seasons when they didn't have someone "hosting" it and calling the highlights and it was just from game to game using the local announcers.

At night it's nice to get the live look-ins I guess, (I have Extra Innings this year so I don't tune in much) but you'd better mute it (at least Mitch Williams is gone).

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
My wife, who finds baseball to me the single most boring sport in the world, doesn't mind listening to Farmer and DJ because once an inning they make us crack up.

Farmer and DJ are so weird together that it works.

Hawk and Stone, opposite problem.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
How about they just hire a professional broadcaster as the TV PBP guy?

Where you really need a professional is in the radio booth. Including the Sox. Farmer is dull and has little to say.

Hawk's problem is that he's too obnoxious in his homerism; and his moodiness detracts as well.

I thought the radio guys were not White Sox employees?

I heard both the radio guys (Ed and Darrin) and TV guys (Ken and Steve) are employed by the White Sox. They are not employed by the TV stations.

AJ & Aaron Rowand would be two primary candidates.

IMO Aaron Rowand isn't a good candidate. Aaron seems like a nice guy, but he did not sound like the best communicator when he was filling in for Steve Stone earlier this season.

I think that Frank Thomas is getting better and better at doing TV work. I wouldn't be against him as a color guy for the TV broadcasts.

Frank makes his money doing pre and post game work, I can't imagine him calling a whole game

Is Frank working for Comcast SportsNet in 2015? I don't recall watching him this year on any pre-game or post-game shows.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)

They're just so damn goofy together that it's an entertaining listen.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 06:40 PM)
The change I would make is to have actual Play-by-play professionals on radio and tv instead of using analysts in that role.

yes, this.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)
All of this on the heels of that article the other day showing the Sox essentially last in baseball in TV ratings. As much as I personally love Hawk & Stoney together (and I think they've made great strides in the past couple of years to come together to produce a quality broadcast), there have got to be changes in the TV booth coming down the pike with horrible ratings like these to shake things up a bit.

i think our bad ratings have more to do with the fact we aren't that popular and have played like crap for the better part of the last decade.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 06:49 PM)
I heard both the radio guys (Ed and Darrin) and TV guys (Ken and Steve) are employed by the White Sox. They are not employed by the TV stations.

IMO Aaron Rowand isn't a good candidate. Aaron seems like a nice guy, but he did not sound like the best communicator when he was filling in for Steve Stone earlier this season.

Is Frank working for Comcast SportsNet in 2015? I don't recall watching him this year on any pre-game or post-game shows.

Frank works for Fox Sports now.

How about they just hire a professional broadcaster as the TV PBP guy? And then leave Stone next to him. It doesn't have to be an ex-player. Get a professional from somewhere. Someone doing post game work somewhere like a Wayne Randazzo or Mike Wills type.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I don't hate Hawk by any means, but I'm more than ready for a change. A professional PBP guy would be incredibly refreshing, even if some might view such a guy as "boring".

How about they just hire a professional broadcaster as the TV PBP guy? And then leave Stone next to him. It doesn't have to be an ex-player. Get a professional from somewhere. Someone doing post game work somewhere like a Wayne Randazzo or Mike Wills type.

Yes.

Please no retreads (Wimpy) and please no ex-ballplayers just because they wore a Sox jersey (Thomas or Rowand).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:43 AM)
I was thinking the same exact thing. I don't hate Hawk by any means, but I'm more than ready for a change. A professional PBP guy would be incredibly refreshing, even if some might view such a guy as "boring".

I can't believe some of you want one of those plastic homers to work Sox games - one of those guys who enunciates every word in a clear, concise, fake Wink Martendale voice. Chicago is special cause it has had Harry, Hawk, guys willing to tell it like it is. Some people just want our franchise to be dull as dirt. Many of you got your wish when the colorful Ozzie was replaced with dry, boring Robin. Now many want some boring announcers. Please keep Hawk forever. And Stone as well.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)
I can't believe some of you want one of those plastic homers to work Sox games - one of those guys who enunciates every word in a clear, concise, fake Wink Martendale voice. Chicago is special cause it has had Harry, Hawk, guys willing to tell it like it is. Some people just want our franchise to be dull as dirt. Many of you got your wish when the colorful Ozzie was replaced with dry, boring Robin. Now many want some boring announcers. Please keep Hawk forever. And Stone as well.

Doesn't want homers.

Wants Hawk.

Pick one.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
According to that article, Sox earn reported $650K in tv rights. That would mean over 162 games, their TV deal pays $105.3M. That # seems high to me, but if it were factual and you added in the national TV money of $50M then before gate sales, you are at $155M. I think it is safe to presume that gate revenues could cover all of your operational costs and then some, so again, for anyone who thinks Sox don't have the money to raise payroll or that we are in some horrible position where we can't possibly add payroll in the off-season, I think you are crazy.

That said, it looks crazier based upon the $105M in local TV money which seems to be on the high side.

the comcast games are 650k. wgn is about half

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
If AJ retires, hire him. He did well on FOX during the postseason a few years ago.

Hawk is so close to AJ, he considers him like a son. I can see a scenario where he agrees to cut back games whihle mentoring AJ in teh booth to take on a fulltime PBP or color role.