Future of the Middle IF

Buehrle>Wood

Simple question, would you trust two of Saladino/Sanchez/Johnson to plug up 2B/SS for the forsee able future?

Im leaning closer and closer to yes. I have little doubt Johnsons bat will be able to play. That's weird saying, I haven't thought that about a Sox MILB guy in forever. His defense needs to come along, but I think it will.

So hopefully one of Saladino and Sanchez pan out to something decent. The other could hopefully make for a utility man. I still have faith in Sanchez. His glove is that good where his bat won't have to do too much more, if we can plug up a few other positions offensively.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
Simple question, would you trust two of Saladino/Sanchez/Johnson to plug up 2B/SS for the forsee able future?

Im leaning closer and closer to yes. I have little doubt Johnsons bat will be able to play. That's weird saying, I haven't thought that about a Sox MILB guy in forever. His defense needs to come along, but I think it will.

So hopefully one of Saladino and Sanchez pan out to something decent. The other could hopefully make for a utility man. I still have faith in Sanchez. His glove is that good where his bat won't have to do too much more, if we can plug up a few other positions offensively.

no, at least for me, the ss position is what i am keying on. unless we as fans can see saladino get some reps there, between now and the end of the season, no....

now for my disclaimer.... i am really biased for Aelexi playing there.

See my thoughts in the Alexei thread. However I believe the only way you can start a Saladino or Sanchez in our lineup in the future and sacrifice defense for offense is if all other positions are holding their own offensively. Or at least 6 of the 8. When you are sporting the worst offense in baseball I dont think its possible to do. Both Saladino and Sanchez would make fine utility men for a few years.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 06:59 AM)

Every time I see you post I wonder how can you resist the urge to say " I was right about Hector Santiago ' ! :P

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)

I think it could. Johnson's bat is going to be ML caliber for sure. Saladino's will be average to above average. If you can find a talented 3B through trade or FA somehow, it could buffer any shortcomings that they make.

If only we could find a team as dumb as the As that we could find our own Donaldson.... lol

Edited by staxx

I think a lot of it depends on the projections for Anderson and if the Sox can trade for a 3B or SS. Personally, I've really enjoyed watching Saladino so far at third. His swing doesn't seem to have any glaring holes that i've noticed so far and his defense definitely plays. The fact that he has amassed a 0.4 WAR in 33 plate appearances tells me he might cement himself as the third basemen going forward. So in that case, the big question is if Anderson's defense is going to be good enough to play at SS. If it is, he will be the the SS for the next 5-10 years. If not, I imagine he will get slotted at 2B and the Sox will look for an outside solution at SS. I dont know that Micah or Sanchez will be complete enough players to be the future at second.

To me, this hinges on whether or not you plan to be competitive in 2016. If you do, then I think rolling the dice at SS with Saladino and/or Sanchez is perhaps a mistake. Johnson at 2B I think is fine in either case.

If you plan to be truly competitive in 2016, then I think you need to either take Alexei's option for 2016, or better, try to find someone in trade or FA that will be at least a competent defensive SS with an average-for-position bat for the next year or two. If you can do better than that, then even better.

But Anderson isn't ready, and while I think Saladino could maybe be passable, that's a pretty big gamble. Sanchez, to me, won't be a major league-grade hitter as a full time player.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)

It seems like most posters on this site thought Johnson was terrible at 2nd. The FO obviously thought the same since they quickly sent him back to AAA. So his defense needs more than "coming along" . He may never be an average 2B if he is as bad as many are saying. So his future could be determined somewhat by the pieces around him. We know IB is not the greatest and we all want Alexei replaced and RF is also a problem. So Johnson's bat would be a needed addition but his glove may be a bigger problem.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 03:49 PM)
I think a lot of it depends on the projections for Anderson and if the Sox can trade for a 3B or SS. Personally, I've really enjoyed watching Saladino so far at third. His swing doesn't seem to have any glaring holes that i've noticed so far and his defense definitely plays. The fact that he has amassed a 0.4 WAR in 33 plate appearances tells me he might cement himself as the third basemen going forward. So in that case, the big question is if Anderson's defense is going to be good enough to play at SS. If it is, he will be the the SS for the next 5-10 years. If not, I imagine he will get slotted at 2B and the Sox will look for an outside solution at SS. I dont know that Micah or Sanchez will be complete enough players to be the future at second.

good reasoning .... that is why i said it is very important this yr between now and end of summer, for saladino to have reps fielding the ss, position.

If the Sox brass thinks Saladino is the answer at short, and that won't be determined at least through spring training next year, then you will start seeing Anderson getting time at third base next year (and maybe yet this year).

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
If the Sox brass thinks Saladino is the answer at short, and that won't be determined at least through spring training next year, then you will start seeing Anderson getting time at third base next year (and maybe yet this year).

At least if it were me, I would not worry much about moving Saladino (or Sanchez) back to 3b if Anderson earns his way to the big leagues at SS. I wouldn't move Anderson at all if possible, he actually is showing improvement at the position, don't interrupt that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)

Sanchez is not a major league hitter. It was almost comical to see how shallow the OF's play him. He doesn't hit any balls hard, and is slappy hitter at best.

Johnson may not be 2B long-term, correct? I think offensively, they have to find a spot for him, but that won't happen until he learns to play defense.

Is Anderson having a good season? I've heard nothing about him. Is he still a top prospect?

I don't know much about Saladino; I assume that he'll settle back into being a Triple A type player. Is there reason to think he can be a decent MLB player?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:20 PM)
Sanchez is not a major league hitter. It was almost comical to see how shallow the OF's play him. He doesn't hit any balls hard, and is slappy hitter at best.

Johnson may not be 2B long-term, correct? I think offensively, they have to find a spot for him, but that won't happen until he learns to play defense.

Is Anderson having a good season? I've heard nothing about him. Is he still a top prospect?

I don't know much about Saladino; I assume that he'll settle back into being a Triple A type player. Is there reason to think he can be a decent MLB player?

Yes. Google.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:39 PM)
Or a White Sox forum who talks about the White Sox COULD answer the question. Not that difficult of a question.

The real question is how one could spend time on a White Sox forum about the White Sox and not know the prospect status of Tim Anderson. A very difficult question, indeed.

Seeing as how you have the entire internet at your disposal, you could take five minutes out of your life to check Anderson's stats, read his scouting report, and maybe even watch a little film rather than asking anonymous message board posters, expecting them to answer, and taking their word for it if they do answer.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:39 PM)
Or a White Sox forum who talks about the White Sox COULD answer the question. Not that difficult of a question.

Lol you are on a White Sox forum with a whole section for the prospects in our organization. I don't want to sound like more of an ass but it is pretty easy to find out how he has been doing on this forum or by just googling his name. Check out this thread: Law's Top 50

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:26 AM)
What's a league average SS hit? My guess is it's a lot lower than people think. Given his solid defense, it might not be that unrealistic to think Tyler can be average major league SS. I think calling him a AAAA type is a bit premature.

Not sure if this is how it works, but: Brad Miller has a 101 wRC+ (closest to 100) and has a slash line of: .239/313/395

QUOTE (woods of ypres @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:29 PM)
Not sure if this is how it works, but: Brad Miller has a 101 wRC+ (closest to 100) and has a slash line of: .239/313/395

Miller would be a league average hitter, so an average SS would probably be a little worse. I took a real quick glance and a .670 OPS looks to be middle of the pack for the position. I really don't think that number is unattainable for Tyler given the plate discipline and power he's demonstrated in the minors.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 12:45 AM)
Miller would be a league average hitter, so an average SS would probably be a little worse. I took a real quick glance and a .670 OPS looks to be middle of the pack for the position. I really don't think that number is unattainable for Tyler given the plate discipline and power he's demonstrated in the minors.

If he could do that for a season next year (or if Sanchez could)...then that could turn either of them into a solid trade-asset if Anderson is really able to push that position next year.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:20 PM)
Lol you are on a White Sox forum with a whole section for the prospects in our organization. I don't want to sound like more of an ass but it is pretty easy to find out how he has been doing on this forum or by just googling his name. Check out this thread: Law's Top 50

Thanks. You could have provided this up-front.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 11:05 PM)
The real question is how one could spend time on a White Sox forum about the White Sox and not know the prospect status of Tim Anderson. A very difficult question, indeed.

Seeing as how you have the entire internet at your disposal, you could take five minutes out of your life to check Anderson's stats, read his scouting report, and maybe even watch a little film rather than asking anonymous message board posters, expecting them to answer, and taking their word for it if they do answer.

Amazing that there would be so much drama created by simply asking White Sox fans, on a pretty dedicated forum, a question that most could answer in their sleep.

I don't have much time to search around; I was in this thread where one of the subjects was Tim Anderson. Shockingly, I asked a question about him that I could have found elsewhere; by that measure, no other questions should be asked, and opinions without factual evidence are banned.

and i would like to add, there are many on this site, that many posters have a great working knowledge of the sox prospects.

maybe i am being biased here, but the info on the sox are so compiled in 1 area, it is second to none.