7/26 Sox @ Indians 12:10 CT

GGajewski18

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Our manager cannot even be bothered to look at the statistics of our relievers - he still just goes with the traditional handedness matchups. You expect him to utilize WAR?

I wasnt talking about the manager. Right now it's Rick Hahn's fault that he's still the starting catcher.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
I wasnt talking about the manager. Right now it's Rick Hahn's fault that he's still the starting catcher.

Well you mentioned the guy on the bench should play more.

Not much we can do with the catching situation from a organizational standpoint for this year at this point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
They obviously value his catching ability. Hawk, who is basically our fly on the wall, has mentioned several times how Flowers has excelled at handling our starters, which is his "primary responsibility." We just need to accept that and deal with his offensive inadequacies.

It isn't something that is going to change until a much better option becomes apparent.

Sorry but there are a lot of catchers who can excel handling our pitchers. Just because our pitchers pitch well doesn't mean it's primarily Flowers or even 50% Flowers. The Sox just have good pitchers. Look at Soto's pitch framing this year. It's good mainly because he catchers our pitchers. Guys like Sale and Samardzija and Q just don't walk a lot of guys and a lot of that is based on their reputations with umps . Pitch framing is one of those stats that needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I'm sure he calls a good gaame but that is not unique to him and his other defensive abilities aren't that good.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Well you mentioned the guy on the bench should play more.

Not much we can do with the catching situation from a organizational standpoint for this year at this point.

The guy currently starting should be gone completely so not even to tempt Robin because as you pointed out he probably doesnt look at statistics. But I'm not sure Hahn looks at them either.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Sorry Tex but there are a lot of catchers who can excel handling our pitchers. Just because our pitchers pitch well doesn't mean it's primarily Flowers or even 50% Flowers. The Sox just have good pitchers. Look at Soto's pitch framing this year. It's good mainly because he catchers our pitchers. Guys like Sale and Samardzija and Q just don't walk a lot of guys and a lot of that is based on their reputations with umps . Pitch framing is one of those stats that needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

I'm sure he calls a good gaame but that is not unique to him and his other defensive abilities aren't that good.

I'm not making the argument myself. Just mentioning what I think the organization's opinion is based on what Hawk has said.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
He didn't even have close to his best stuff. Goes to show you how important locating his pitches is for him.

His changeup was pretty great today.

Just imagine if he gets the slider and the changeup going with command.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
We already decided, Micah is coming up to DH per GMs of Soxtalk (including me)

Since we're all GMs here, I'd move Avi to DH and bring up a RF (Shuck there maybe). Give LaRoche to some team that I trade Shark to. Alexei is playing much better. I'd move him too.