Cueto to Royals

Brian

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
That is a great haul for Cincinnati. Wow.

It's a great haul for Cincinnati but KC doesn't really lose anything. They think that Finnegan is a reliever long-term and they didn't have to deal Manaea, Zimmer, or Mondesi. Great trade for both teams.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
I love the nickname LaDunn. He is the exact same player, maybe even worse. Same selfish style for sure.

I have NEVER heard either guy described as selfish. You're simply making stuff up.

Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 3m3 minutes ago

Johnny Cueto is due a little more than $3.3 million in salary over remainder of this season. #Royals #Reds @FOXSports

How much is Jeff owed the rest of the season?

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 2m2 minutes ago

Reds did really well with getting three power arms in Brandon Finnegan, John Lamb and Cody Reed, but it's a deal the Royals needed to make.

Is there a deal that the Jays really need to make? Have been desperate to get to the playoffs for a while now and have an elite offense. Do they overpay for Jeff?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
It's a great haul for Cincinnati but KC doesn't really lose anything. They think that Finnegan is a reliever long-term and they didn't have to deal Manaea, Zimmer, or Mondesi. Great trade for both teams.

Yep, well said

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
How much is Jeff owed the rest of the season?

Cueto's total salary this season is $10 million, Samardzija's is $9.8 million. As of right now, if Cueto has $3.3 million remaining, Samardzija has about $3.2 million.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
I have NEVER heard either guy described as selfish. You're simply making stuff up.

Adam Dunn paraphrase "I'm not being paid to hit singles".

Long swings in 2 strike counts are selfish. Maybe you haven't been watching our DHs the last 5 years. It's hard to watch. Brutally hard to watch.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
Adam Dunn paraphrase "I'm not being paid to hit singles".

Long swings in 2 strike counts are selfish. Maybe you haven't been watching our DHs the last 5 years. It's hard to watch. Brutally hard to watch.

Adam Dunn is right about that. He was being paid to walk and hit homers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 12:13 AM)
Hmmm. Would they have taken Shark for Finnegan and Lamb, leaving out the third guy? Finnegan and Lamb both are ready to join the Sox rotation.

Did we blow it in not making the deal??

I think Finnegan is a bullpen arm. Kansas City agrees.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...le28783480.html

Good, more in-depth story on the deal and its implications for the remainder of the season and playoffs. Of course mentions the caveat that acquiring Lester in Oakland and Price in Detroit didn't guarantee a thing for those teams.

Don't discount the influence of countrymen Cueto and Volquez together with Ventura (and Duffy) as a much more formidable rotation for the playoffs that removes a lot of the pressure from Ventura to be the ace after his surprising performance in the postseason, named Opening Day starter to replace Shields, new contract extension, etc.

“As I’ve said over and over, if you focus on what you’re losing or giving up or trading away, you’ll never make a deal,” Moore said. “And we felt Johnny Cueto was the very best pitcher for our team, the right acquisition and somebody we could put at the top of the rotation and move forward with.

“If we’re getting the right player back, we’ve always tried to be very aggressive to win the negotiations.”

False steps notwithstanding, that they did on Sunday.

In one fell swoop, they could welcome Cueto to the team and, at least for a day, welcome back Ventura.

And register a claim as the team to beat.

Seeing the Cueto deal on the board as Ventura seemed himself, Yost said, was like “icing on the cake.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 07:35 PM)
I'd have taken Finnegan and Lamb alone for Shark.

there is no way i would have taken it. way too little in quality as a rtn.

and i mistrust my judgement on anything in ref to trades.