White Sox Need to be careful

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
One other thing to think about...we are only .5 a game ahead of Texas who added Cole Hamels (and Hamilton is back healthy...no clue what that will actually mean but he's back). Not saying they are contenders, just saying, as currently constructed (and within a crazy run) they are only .5 game back of us and just added Cole Hamels.

Their are a hell of a lot of teams around the Sox in the standings who have upgraded pretty significantly.

The White Sox upgraded this offseason, and that didn't exactly pay immediately. I wouldn't be too worried about other teams' upgrades. If you think your team is an 85 win team, or should be with an addition, I think you go for it. If not, sell Shark, maybe get a Napoli for nothing, and see what happens.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the White Sox didn't have the killer schedule they do over the next six series, then it would be be worth considering something more short-term...

And sure, there are a lot of teams with killer schedules coming up, look at what the Giants have to face in August, for example.

If the White Sox were in a position financially to go out and spend unlimited amounts in the off-season, it wouldn't matter, but that's not realistic.

It's pretty apparent we could have had Hector Olivera, for example, for the next five years and only $32 million remaining on his deal (and a sixth year for $1 million if he had elbow surgery) if we had been willing to trade Shark at that moment. (This is where the argument comes in that because Wood has multiple years of control, he wouldn't have netted the same package as Wood did, which is impossible to determine with all the other moving pieces in that deal).

Even the most optimistic fans in their heart of hearts can't realistically expecting the White Sox to do much more than a game or two above .500 with our upcoming schedule, and more likely a game or two under .500, especially if we dealt Shark and had to replace him with Johnson from here on out.

We also are cognizant of the fact that the AL East is softer than the AL Central because the Royals are probably the best team in the league at this point...and that the Blue Jays have four superstars now on that team, and Encarnacion as well. Everyone is picking them at this point, especially AA, whose job and future depend upon those moves working out. He's going for broke.

Surrender? No. But make moves that don't completely push this team back into 2017 in terms of competing...take on a contract like James Shields for 30-50% of the rate they would have had to pay for him at the beginning of the year, for example. Get the equivalent of a Hector Olivera for 3B. Maybe there's not an impact catcher out there, but the Giants still have Susac and Sanchez and lots of interesting pieces in the low minors. Bruce/Cargo, whatever...give us at least one position player or a starting pitcher that makes the heavy lifting in the off-season all that easier. At the very least, a Napoli for tier b/c prospects who will give LaRoche relief against LHP and bring another veteran into the clubhouse.

Right now, the only players we know for sure who will be back as starters are Cabrera, Eaton and Abreu...and leaning heavily towards keeping Alexei (which has changed in the last 3-4 weeks). That gives you 2 months to make determinations on catcher, A.Garcia, Saladino/Sanchez/Johnson and LaRoche...as well as time to look at Erik Johnson, Montas, Nate Jones, etc.

Odds are pretty high that of Saladino/Johnson/Sanchez, we'll be fortunate to get one regular/starter of those three.

So we can confidently say we have 5 1/2 players (counting LaRoche as 1/2 for now) and are going to have to fill 3B, C and RF/LF. That's a lot better than a month ago, so there's that.

Edited by caulfield12

Great initial post to this thread. I do agree they probably should have made a trade. But I also agree I'd hate to see any of the Sox "name" prospects gone for a rental.

It's kind of buzzkill to not make any changes at all when Baltimore and Toronto and Texas added guys. I will say this ... it's up to the team right now to remove that buzzkill. The team just won 7 of 8 on the road. If it could win the Yankee series at home and continue to hit a bit, there still could be some excitement in the Cell. Saladino is a recent addition and the new Sanchez is almost like an entirely new player. Ditto Melky. Even Rodon appears a new guy the last 3 starts.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
Great initial post to this thread. I do agree they probably should have made a trade. But I also agree I'd hate to see any of the Sox "name" prospects gone for a rental.

It's kind of buzzkill to not make any changes at all when Baltimore and Toronto and Texas added guys. I will say this ... it's up to the team right now to remove that buzzkill. The team just won 7 of 8 on the road. If it could win the Yankee series at home and continue to hit a bit, there still could be some excitement in the Cell. Saladino is a recent addition and the new Sanchez is almost like an entirely new player. Ditto Melky. Even Rodon appears a new guy the last 3 starts.

We are the Rays, lol...franchise stuck in neutral.

Unless something changes in the next hour of those announcements that always leak rapidfire in the hour after the actual deadline and they're just messing with us to build the suspense.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:58 PM)
doing nothing was the worst thing the sox could've done

and of course that's what they did

hilarious. abysmal group of guys running this franchise

It's kind of odd they didn't deal Shark a few weeks ago when things were looking bleak. They probably could have gotten 3 good prospects and pray EJ would be a suitable replacement. Waiting until the final week before the trading deadling IMO is not a good idea but teams do that every year. They should pick up Valencia now and bring up Viciedo and see if two V's equal lots of Ws. Just do it.