Historic Sox Audio...

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
Got it. Now at least we know where your argument starts and ends.

2015 = 2009 = 2006 = 2003 = 2001 = 1997 = 1992 = 1987 = 1984 = 1980 = 1976...so on and so forth.

The team's results clearly don't matter to you, because you enjoy the White Sox no matter how they do. Alright, that's good for you, I guess, if winning is just something "nice" for you. Some by-product that if it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, oh well, it doesn't. Fine, I respect that. Just be respectful of those - and there are many of us, btw - who aim for something a little bit more than that.

lol, what? You "aim for something a little bit more"? What does that even mean? What exactly are you doing to "aim for something a little bit more"?

So if I think I understand the logic here, you need to have a big result to feel like you get something positive out of a season, you haven't gotten anything positive out of 50 of the last 55 years, and yet you are back for another year? And not only that, but you feel the need to dwell on those results over and over again? Yeah, I don't know where I would get the bitter idea from.

Seriously, you need a new hobby if you are coming back again for something that had disappointed you 50 out of the last 55 years.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today August 4th marks 30 years...30 years??????????? since Tom Seaver won his 300th game.

We've got audio cuts from that historic event up now at Chicago Now / Sox Net (with thanks to Daniel).

You can relive the final out as well as some of Seaver's postgame interview.

Oh yes August 4th was also the day Carlton Fisk got into the Hall of Fame and Robin Ventura actually showed some (OK a lot of emotion) in Texas.

I hope you enjoy reading / listening.

Here's the link:

http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/08/t...ra-fights-ryan/

Mark

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 10:09 PM)
lol, what? You "aim for something a little bit more"? What does that even mean? What exactly are you doing to "aim for something a little bit more"?

So if I think I understand the logic here, you need to have a big result to feel like you get something positive out of a season, you haven't gotten anything positive out of 50 of the last 55 years, and yet you are back for another year? And not only that, but you feel the need to dwell on those results over and over again? Yeah, I don't know where I would get the bitter idea from.

Seriously, you need a new hobby if you are coming back again for something that had disappointed you 50 out of the last 55 years.

I don't even know what you guys are arguing about. If someone came up to me and said "hey you're favorite team is playing. Do you want them to win or lose ?" 100% of the responses would be WIN !!!

Do I know the Sox have been a woeful franchise throughout their history ? Yes !

Am I disappointed year after year by them ? Yes !

Am I bitter about it ? No because that's not exactly the biggest tragedy ever . It's a sports team after all. Entertainment.

Could I be depressingly negative about the whole situation ? Yes easily but I choose not to be negative or upset because it is all beyond my control and many others do it for me.

I would think what I just wrote pretty much sums up most Sox fans. What we argue about here is minutiae .

Some very rare audio (from the original television video in my library) is the bill o' fair for August 7th in my This Date in Sox History.

The two clips highlight the Sox ending Nolan Ryan's quest for a no-hitter from 1974. In fact in a span of a few minutes Ryan lost the no-hitter, the shutout AND the game.

Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/08/t...te-sox-history/

If memory serves the next audio clips will come on August 11th but feel free to check daily for historic events in franchise history.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
1977 - Chet Lemon's game tying home run in the last of the 10th inning against Kansas City. Announcers: Lorn Brown / Mary Shane. Courtesy: WMAQ Radio / Chicago White Sox.

I know that memory is always rosier than reality, but to this day I never had more fun following a Sox team than I did as a kid in '77. The crowds were insane, the unis were awesome and old comiskey was just a madhouse. It bordered on scary at times which I think added to the fun and excitement, if that makes sense.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:36 PM)
I actually envy 2k5. I wish I could just love the White Sox because they're my team and they're the White Sox. The '06 collapse just bothers the f*** out of me. If they could've just gotten in they would've rolled though everybody. And since then? Good god.

This is about the only year I'm totally fed up with the organization, though it is very depressing they didn't build on '05. I almost have to agree with those who said it was a wonderful fluke. I mean the Blackhawks have shown how you should play during your "window" of excellence. Sox haven't done squat since winning it all and this year with the unexplainable roller coaster has been the worst type of year for a fan.

It's been hard to enjoy baseball this year because of this. The Central Division has owned us again except for the, again wacky, 4-game sweep of Cleveland.

This organization blows and it just has to get rid of Robin after the season because there's really no hope with him at the helm -- too dysfunctional a team with lousy fundamental skills. It's a no brainer. He doesn't need the money. Many managers have been fired and many more will in the future.

Edited by greg775

Who wears short shorts?

The White Sox do.

This Date in Sox History for August 8th has a five minute video from a fan at one of the games in 1976.

I'm sure some of the players are still trying to forget about it!

http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/08/347/

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

August 11, 1994 - The unthinkable finally happened as major league players struck the rest of the season because of the unwillingness by owners to negotiate fairly on a new labor contract, a charge later upheld by the Federal Courts. At the time of the strike, the Sox were leading their division, had the second best record in the AL and the third best in all of baseball. They were on their way to back to back playoff appearances for the first time in franchise history. Many Sox fans blamed owner Jerry Reinsdorf for forcing the strike, being a hard line owner and sabotaging his own teams chance to get to that elusive World Series. Frank Thomas ended the season very close to the Triple Crown, hitting .353 with 38 home runs and 101 RBI’s. He did get his second consecutive MVP award though. Teammate Jack McDowell who won the Cy Young Award in 1993 told me about the team's mindset when the strike took place.

"I thought that we were going to be out longer then a week or 10 days but I never felt the rest of the year was going to be cancelled," McDowell said. "The Sox felt that we had to be in first place when the strike hit because we didn’t know what could happen. The last month, the Sox went with a four man rotation. My last three wins were all complete games and all on three days rest. It turned out we did finish the year in first."

I'll never get over losing this year. Not just for the White Sox but baseball in general.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 06:11 PM)
Good job Lip . You bring a lot to this site, a welcome historical perspective that was lacking before . That was the only reason to ever visit WSI , their interviews with historical Sox figures.

Thanks for the nice words. Appreciate it.

Mark

43 years ago (my God!) in an afternoon game at Comiskey Park Dick Allen did something no Sox player had ever done before. We've got the audio as part of This Date In Sox History for August 23rd.

Yours truly was sitting close to Harry Caray when it happened by the way.

http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/08/t...ulie-hits-2000/

That was some summer I can tell you that!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:46 AM)
Today August 4th marks 30 years...30 years??????????? since Tom Seaver won his 300th game.

We've got audio cuts from that historic event up now at Chicago Now / Sox Net (with thanks to Daniel).

You can relive the final out as well as some of Seaver's postgame interview.

Oh yes August 4th was also the day Carlton Fisk got into the Hall of Fame and Robin Ventura actually showed some (OK a lot of emotion) in Texas.

I hope you enjoy reading / listening.

Here's the link:

http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/08/t...ra-fights-ryan/

Mark

I love the old historic audio. I bought a couple tapes some years back one being the 1967 game where Horlen beat Lonborg 4-1 in Fenway. I think Joel Horlen should have been the Cy Young winner that year. I also got one from 1965 I think it was where Smoky Burgess hit a PH double against the Tigers. There is always something to enjoy from every year of Sox baseball. I remember seeing Seaver pitch for the Sox on TV games. He was a great competitor. Always a thrill to watch

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
This is about the only year I'm totally fed up with the organization, though it is very depressing they didn't build on '05. I almost have to agree with those who said it was a wonderful fluke. I mean the Blackhawks have shown how you should play during your "window" of excellence. Sox haven't done squat since winning it all and this year with the unexplainable roller coaster has been the worst type of year for a fan.

It's been hard to enjoy baseball this year because of this. The Central Division has owned us again except for the, again wacky, 4-game sweep of Cleveland.

This organization blows and it just has to get rid of Robin after the season because there's really no hope with him at the helm -- too dysfunctional a team with lousy fundamental skills. It's a no brainer. He doesn't need the money. Many managers have been fired and many more will in the future.

That 2006 was awesome. I'm not going to fault them for winning 90 games and missing the playoffs.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 9, 2015 -> 12:23 PM)
That 2006 was awesome. I'm not going to fault them for winning 90 games and missing the playoffs.

Under the modern set up, they would have had a one game playoff against Detroit for the right to play the Yankees, as the 2nd wild card team.. The Yankees lost 3-1 to the Tigers in the 2006 playoffs.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:36 PM)
I actually envy 2k5. I wish I could just love the White Sox because they're my team and they're the White Sox. The '06 collapse just bothers the f*** out of me. If they could've just gotten in they would've rolled though everybody. And since then? Good god.

I don't understand why you wouldn't love the White Sox simply because it's your team? I have been a Sox fan since 1959 when I started playing little league baseball. My first glove was a Nellie Fox model. I support the Sox period. So I sure do undrstand what 2k5 and others are sauing

56 years ago Tuesday night the Air Raid Sirens went off in Chicago as the White Sox won the pennant. Here is some of the 10th inning television postgame interviews with Lou Boudreau:

http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/09/t...in-the-pennant/

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel was able to bring up to date for the past week the This Date in Sox History section at Sox Net. There are eight new additional historic audio cuts for the following days there:

September 27 http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/10/t...eam-to-victory/ (Bo Jackson's division clinching home run / audio of final out)

September 29 http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/10/t...o-wire-to-wire/ (Final out as Sox clinch divisional title)

September 30 http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/10/t...-blackout-game/ (Final out at original Comiskey Park / Thome's blackout game home run / audio of final out)

October 1 http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/10/t...ld-series-lead/ (Big Klu's 2nd home run in game #1 World Series / Bob Elson's last words as Sox announcer)

Enjoy!

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1