Arizona Fall League

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Robinson Leyer, Brandon Brennan, Peter Tago, J.B. Wendelken, Keon Barnum, Nick Delmonico, Jake Peter,Courtney Hawkins

https://twitter.com/SouthSidelarry

All guys with some intrigue - none of them are what I'd consider filler. That's nice to see.

Also interesting - they clearly broke the one-player-below-AA rule, as there are three of them in there.

Kinda thought Danny Hayes would go. I don't know that Barnum is ready, I think he'll get destroyed in that league. The rest should hold their own.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
Robinson Leyer, Brandon Brennan, Peter Tago, J.B. Wendelken, Keon Barnum, Nick Delmonico, Jake Peter,Courtney Hawkins

Pretty happy with this entire list besides Brennan. The kid is 24, always hurt, and doesn't exactly tear it up in low or high A. Would of much rather have Almonte, Hayes, Wheeler, or Alvarez go there.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
Pretty happy with this entire list besides Brennan. The kid is 24, always hurt, and doesn't exactly tear it up in low or high A. Would of much rather have Almonte, Hayes, Wheeler, or Alvarez go there.

Almonte is in his first year of full-season ball, and he's been starting - no value in stretching him out further. Wheeler and Alvarez are below AA, and they already seem to be pushing that boundary (though I agree that both could be good there). Hayes I totally agree, would be better there than Barnum.

But I like Brennan there. His missed time is exavtly why you want him there, and people forget but this is a high talent but raw guy - perfect AFL candidate in many ways. Need him to get more innings so he can be geared up for a full season next year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Almonte is in his first year of full-season ball, and he's been starting - no value in stretching him out further. Wheeler and Alvarez are below AA, and they already seem to be pushing that boundary (though I agree that both could be good there). Hayes I totally agree, would be better there than Barnum.

But I like Brennan there. His missed time is exavtly why you want him there, and people forget but this is a high talent but raw guy - perfect AFL candidate in many ways. Need him to get more innings so he can be geared up for a full season next year.

I understand that, but has he had a season where he has been fully healthy? Just by looking at his numbers, he doesn't do anything special, a lot of walks, not many strikeouts, big whip. At least Wheeler strikes guys out.

I don't know, I know it's just one guy but, in my mind, he's taking a spot that is someone else is more deserving and more valuable to the organization.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
I understand that, but has he had a season where he has been fully healthy? Just by looking at his numbers, he doesn't do anything special, a lot of walks, not many strikeouts, big whip. At least Wheeler strikes guys out.

I don't know, I know it's just one guy but, in my mind, he's taking a spot that is someone else is more deserving and more valuable to the organization.

Its not about numbers with Brennan, he hasn't had a shot to make it work for long enough yet. Its a sinking mid-90s fastball and slider that had glowing reports out college that make him stand out, and he needs the reps to make it work for him. He only had a year of college ball, and he's still age-appropriate for his level despite the lost time.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 1, 2015 -> 08:19 PM)

that is a wide assortment of names.... many i would never have thought off. 1 name i was surprise is not on there, but i guess it might be a age thing.

i am surprise in k barnum.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this article by Callis posted but I found his take pretty interesting on a few of the Sox young pitchers. It's from September 3rd.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/147118960/pi...-top-afl-roster

"If we want to bet on someone with a higher Draft pedigree, White Sox first-rounder Carson Fulmer will likely be the first Draft pick from 2015 to join a big league rotation. The top two picks in the Draft, shortstops Dansby Swanson (D-backs) and Bregman, may not need much more than a full season in the Minors. Red Sox outfielder Andrew Benintendi is on the fast track as well."

Which White Sox pitching prospect has the best chance to be a long-term starter: Spencer Adams, Carson Fulmer or Frankie Montas?

-- Ryan S., St. Louis

"Among the three best pitching prospects in the White Sox system, Adams is the safest bet to be a long-term starter. He has better command than either Fulmer or Montas, and he also has superior athleticism, more efficient mechanics and a more desirable build.

That said, Fulmer has the best chance to become a front-line starter. He has a mid-90s fastball and a power breaking ball, and his makeup and track record are off the charts. Fulmer lacks size and may need to tone down his delivery, but he brings quality stuff and performance start after start."

:gosox1:

Edited by BlackSox13

• 2 weeks later...