White Sox @ Royals, 8/8/2015

Balta1701

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
I just don't get how anyone can buy into this one hot streak as him being a ML quality bat. He sat under .200 for like 2 months

So was Eaton through April and May. Melky was around 220 until mid June I believe.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:24 PM)
The Cubs, Pirates, Royals and Astros have been s***ty for a long time. They're due to get some really good players.

Only a three year difference in last playoff appearance with Sox and Astros.

Eight years each with Sox and Cubs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:38 PM)
And the end result of the thinking that "We must compete this year and we can't field a below .500 team multiple years in a row" is going to be 4 years below .500 in a row and a team that isn't nearly competitive the next year wihtout a huge FA splurge, again. Because we must compete every year, we've been uncompetitive 3 years in a row.

You can't tell me "This team can't afford to be uncompetitive 2 years in a row" when they've been an utter failure 4 of 5 years.

They're going to be worse next year in attendance because the foolish fans that bought into the 2015 BS are going to be even more angry because of the 2015 failure. They bought into this bullcrap and the team took advantage of them - how on Earth do we expect them to repeat that mistake next year? We're now going to be in Cleveland Indians attendance territory because we took the people who were interested and flicked them off with the 2015 season.

And yet we know it's quite possible nothing will actually happen until 2029, sigh.

And the end result of the thinking that "We must compete this year and we can't field a below .500 team multiple years in a row" is going to be 4 years below .500 in a row and a team that isn't nearly competitive the next year wihtout a huge FA splurge, again. Because we must compete every year, we've been uncompetitive 3 years in a row.

You can't tell me "This team can't afford to be uncompetitive 2 years in a row" when they've been an utter failure 4 of 5 years.

They're going to be worse next year in attendance because the foolish fans that bought into the 2015 BS are going to be even more angry because of the 2015 failure. They bought into this bullcrap and the team took advantage of them - how on Earth do we expect them to repeat that mistake next year? We're now going to be in Cleveland Indians attendance territory because we took the people who were interested and flicked them off with the 2015 season.

And factor in them running out Robin as the manager next season. This team needs Puig. f*** it. Make it happen. Go do what it takes to get that kid. This team needs a good young bat with flare and excitement.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:33 PM)
Micah has hit his entire minor career and has proven to have a good eye and some power. Carlos has been a slap singles hitter when he repeats levels and s*** the bed the first time he had extended time in AAA and the majors. He had 2 awful, god awful, months and then 1 good one. Micah, in his first look at major league pitching, put up a respectable line. Sanchez just won't ever be a good hitter.

This might be themost biased thing I have ever read. ANd you're totally omitting defense which I understand means something in this sport.

I love Micah too and thought the Sox made the right choice with him over Sanchez at the start of the season.. And i am a huge proponent of defense so yea i thought the difference between their offense was like you do now. But open your eyes man Sanchez can throw some hot leather out there and has really improved a lot hitting. He's exactly the kind of guy we have all been begging for, a guy who can rise above the Sox inability to develop players and show he can stick and play offense and defense.

This might be the one offseason overpaying a name manager makes sense, because they're going to have to spend $150-200 million to get anyone to buy in again on free agents making a difference.

But JR won't pay two managers simultaneously.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
Josh Phegley has been worth 1.3 bWAR this season. Soto has been worth 1.3 bWAR this season. Yes I'm defending Josh Phegley. Giving up on him because the org decides they didn't like him was stupid and it's exactly the kind of mistake this organization has been making for years - we don't like a guy even if they're talented so we assume they will never learn anything at the big league level. We then give them away because we don't like them.

Then we assume guys we like will learn a ton at the big league level, like Avi, then they are slow to do so and somehow we are surprised when we're a below .500 team as a consequence.

As long as we're ok with being a below .500 team permanently, it's a successful plan.

Josh Phegley is playing in a zero-pressure environment and even at his peak, he's a 1-WAR player (not that S-metrics can't be useless in a smaller sample size or can capture the true suckage that is his defense... mind you)

As for Avi, again you're mixing everything up. Avi wasn't rushed to the big at all. At a quick glance, Mister Garcia's problems are 2-fold:

1) aformentioned Terrible scouting. Apparently someone told Rick Hahn that Garcia is a top-flight defensive CF.... who can also steal 30 bases with ease... and has Miguel Cabrera's HOF-caliber combination of poise, early pitch-recognition, hand-eye coordination & batspeed. I feel sorry for Hahn, haha.

2) And even with limited upside, Avi could still hit 20-25 HR in the majors because of his natural strength & an all-field line-drive swing. Which is what seem to happen before he tore his shoulder at age 22. When he came back, his mechanics were different. Still got off to a good start in 2015, including an impressive oppo HR against David Price no less. Sure he still needed to learn a lot in terms of plate-discipline & how to "think along with the pitcher".... but he was trending in a positive direction at 23 yo.

Then everyone, including the media and fans began to whine how Avi need to pull more of those majestic Gio Stanton type HR to LF. Evidently Garcia took heed. And has been in pull-n-uppercut loopy off-balance swing mode for a couple of months. Numbers tanked big-time.

Sure some responsibility is on Avi himself, got greedy, got out of his element.

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:45 PM)
Josh Phegley is playing in a zero-pressure environment and even at his peak, he's a 1-WAR player (not that S-metrics can't be useless in a smaller sample size or can capture the true suckage that is his defense... mind you)

As for Avi, again you're mixing everything up. Avi wasn't rushed to the big at all. At a quick glance, Mister Garcia's problems are 2-fold:

1) aformentioned Terrible scouting. Apparently someone told Rick Hahn that Garcia is a top-flight defensive CF.... who can also steal 30 bases with ease... and has Miguel Cabrera's HOF-caliber combination of poise, early pitch-recognition, hand-eye coordination & batspeed. I feel sorry for Hahn, haha.

2) And even with limited upside, Avi could still hit 20-25 HR in the majors because of his natural strength & an all-field line-drive swing. Which is what seem to happen before he tore his shoulder at age 22. When he came back, his mechanics were different. Still got off to a good start in 2015, including an impressive oppo HR against David Price no less. Sure he still needed to learn a lot in terms of plate-discipline & how to "think along with the pitcher".... but he was trending in a positive direction at 23 yo.

Then everyone, including the media and fans began to whine how Avi need to pull more of those majestic Gio Stanton type HR to LF. Evidently Garcia took heed. And has been in pull-n-uppercut loopy off-balance swing mode for a couple of months. Numbers tanked big-time.

Sure some responsibility is on Avi himself, got greedy, got out of his element.

Doesn't seem to have affected Eaton too adversely that he went on a homer binge...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:45 PM)
This might be the one offseason overpaying a name manager makes sense, because they're going to have to spend $150-200 million to get anyone to buy in again on free agents making a difference.

But JR won't pay two managers simultaneously.

Has JR been paying one right now sure does not look like it.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)
We're sports fans. We want it and we want it now.

haha, don't I know it. I can be that myself as a kid in particular, but since then grew up and prefer to avoid everything sports-related like a plague (Soxtalk excepted every few years, and even then I am only here until Monday, so better enjoy my infinite know-it-all swag :)

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
haha, don't I know it. I can be that myself as a kid in particular, but since then grew up and prefer to avoid everything sports-related like a plague (Soxtalk excepted every few years, and even then I am only here until Monday, so better enjoy my infinite know-it-all swag :)

Is your cousin/alter-ego The Ultimate Champion?

Didn't realize he was a Scientologist/libertarian.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:48 PM)
Doesn't seem to have affected Eaton too adversely that he went on a homer binge...

Who said anything about Eaton?

I was talking about Garcia. Every situation is different, every player has his/her own challenges.

besides, Eaten is like 3 years older; didn't lose a year of development; plus it helps that Spank-meister has a quicker swing thus more room for error than Garcia.

Why not invoke Mike Trout or Bryce Harper while you're at it, Caulfield?

Edited by L. Ron Paultard