White Sox @ Royals, 8/8/2015

Balta1701

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:20 PM)
Surprised to hear anyone saying this with the way he has played since the terrible start. He may hit .275 next year and plays stellar defense. Might be worth 2-3 WAR next year.

WAR will not be that high, 1.5 tops

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)
And congrats on defending Melky. I'll continue to be proud of those defending him until his next suspension comes down.

FFS, what is it with you? How on earth did you construe my post as DEFENDING Melky Cabrera???!!!

LMAO!

I am only pointing out that he was one of many -- and far less paid than many of them.

**coughTroutcough**

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:20 PM)
Surprised to hear anyone saying this with the way he has played since the terrible start. He may hit .275 next year and plays stellar defense. Might be worth 2-3 WAR next year.

Hard for me to believe considering even with his stellar defense he has a negative war this year

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)
For team that can't rebuild, we haven't made the playoffs since '08.

But the teams people want to be like now were awful for a long time. Last week was the first time in 38 years where the Cubsand Pirates played each other with both teams 10 games over.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:17 PM)
Balta please you're defending John freakin Phegley. A guy with long-term health defect. An absolutely horrrific defender at an elite defensive position. Someone who cannot hit a breaking ball even in the minors to save his life by all accounts. Could he improve and become a respectable back-up catcher? Sure. Just like there are washed-up 40 year old LOOGY's sticking around the bigs simply because. That doesn't mean anything.

Do I look like someone who is a Jeff Samardja cheerleader? Not even close. But as of 2014, he WAS an elite starter if not in terms of actual results, then certainly in terms of UPSIDE. And like it or not, you always pay extra for 'upside'.

In retrospect, I think Billy Beane pantsed the White Sox GM yet again. I don't believe Shark is 100% healthy and if he weren't in a critically important pre-FA period or in a middle of a pennant race... I bet we would hear some rumours of "fore-arm tightness" or a prolonged "dead-arm".

IMHO.

Josh Phegley has been worth 1.3 bWAR this season. Soto has been worth 1.3 bWAR this season. Yes I'm defending Josh Phegley. Giving up on him because the org decides they didn't like him was stupid and it's exactly the kind of mistake this organization has been making for years - we don't like a guy even if they're talented so we assume they will never learn anything at the big league level. We then give them away because we don't like them.

Then we assume guys we like will learn a ton at the big league level, like Avi, then they are slow to do so and somehow we are surprised when we're a below .500 team as a consequence.

As long as we're ok with being a below .500 team permanently, it's a successful plan.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
But the teams people want to be like now were awful for a long time. Last week was the first time in 38 years where the Cubsand Pirates played each other with both teams 10 games over.

The Cubs, Pirates, Royals and Astros have been s***ty for a long time. They're due to get some really good players.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
I just don't get how anyone can buy into this one hot streak as him being a ML quality bat. He sat under .200 for like 2 months

But Micah playing only playing 27 games, you can determine he can hit at this level?

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:11 PM)
For team that can't rebuild, we haven't made the playoffs since '08.

What I am saying is that Sox FO is in a UNIQUELY DIFFICULT position year-in and year-out. Almost lose-lose.

Sure it's one of those chicken-egg dilemmas. Some of the short-sighted executive decisions only compounded & perpetuated the existing (systemic) problems.

But it is what it is. They can't just tear it all down and risk going the Royals or Pirates "route" (read: almost 20 years of ineptitude).

PS. And also to be fair, Sox fielded competitive and semi-competitive teams in 2009, 2010, 2012 and even the pre-season favoured 2011, 2015 incarnations.

Easy to forget that 2011 as horribly disappointing as it was, Sox were within only 3 games of Detroit juggernaut in early September.

Like I said, many Sox fans it's impossible to please, period.

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:29 PM)
What I am saying is that Sox FO is in a UNIQUELY DIFFICULT position year-in and year-out. Almost lose-lose.

Sure it's one of those chicken-egg dilemmas. Some of the short-sighted executive decisions only compounded & perpetuated the existing (systemic) problems.

But it is what it is. They can't just tear it all down and risk going the Royals or Pirates "route" (read: almost 20 years of ineptitude).

PS. And also to be fair, Sox fielded competitive and semi-competitive teams in 2009, 2010, 2012 and even the pre-season favoured 2011, 2015 incarnations.

Easy to forget that 2011 as horribly disappointing as it was, Sox were within only 3 games of Detroit juggernaut in early September.

We're sports fans. We want it and we want it now.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
But Micah playing only playing 27 games, you can determine he can hit at this level?

Micah has hit his entire minor career and has proven to have a good eye and some power. Carlos has been a slap singles hitter when he repeats levels and s*** the bed the first time he had extended time in AAA and the majors. He had 2 awful, god awful, months and then 1 good one. Micah, in his first look at major league pitching, put up a respectable line. Sanchez just won't ever be a good hitter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:23 PM)
Josh Phegley has been worth 1.3 bWAR this season. Soto has been worth 1.3 bWAR this season. Yes I'm defending Josh Phegley. Giving up on him because the org decides they didn't like him was stupid and it's exactly the kind of mistake this organization has been making for years - we don't like a guy even if they're talented so we assume they will never learn anything at the big league level. We then give them away because we don't like them.

Then we assume guys we like will learn a ton at the big league level, like Avi, then they are slow to do so and somehow we are surprised when we're a below .500 team as a consequence.

As long as we're ok with being a below .500 team permanently, it's a successful plan.

Daniel Hudson, Brian Anderson, Brandon McCarthy, Rauch, Phegley, etc.

Then we stick with someone like Teahen because Buddy Bell loved him when he worked for the Royals...you would think Gold Glove guys like Bell and later Ventura could make better determinations with Teahen, Viciedo, Gillaspie, etc.

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:29 PM)

And the end result of the thinking that "We must compete this year and we can't field a below .500 team multiple years in a row" is going to be 4 years below .500 in a row and a team that isn't nearly competitive the next year wihtout a huge FA splurge, again. Because we must compete every year, we've been uncompetitive 3 years in a row.

You can't tell me "This team can't afford to be uncompetitive 2 years in a row" when they've been an utter failure 4 of 5 years.

They're going to be worse next year in attendance because the foolish fans that bought into the 2015 BS are going to be even more angry because of the 2015 failure. They bought into this bullcrap and the team took advantage of them - how on Earth do we expect them to repeat that mistake next year? We're now going to be in Cleveland Indians attendance territory because we took the people who were interested and flicked them off with the 2015 season.