White Sox @ Royals, 8/8/2015

Balta1701

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:58 PM)
You are right, to a point. A deep farm system is indeed an asset overall --- it certainly beats a depleted one, as Sox have unfortunately found out the hard way a few years back.

However, since overwhelming majority of prospects end up being big busts.... quantity only takes you so far. You need QUALITY. You need STARS. And since you're paying for future performance/upside, Jeff Samardja seemed to offer that in the eyes of Rich Hahn. It doesn't always work out in reality, but his reasoning was solid.

This is where you are confusing the 2 things: contrary to the common media wisdom, the Sox problem is NOT that they traded away too many non-prospects like Semien or Ravelo. It may appear that way on the surface, but trust me it's NOT.

No, the real, long-running, STRUCTURAL problem for the Sox has always been: terrible scouts + terrible "loyalty hire" coaches + lack of unified professional philosophy. Yes bright spots like Frank Thomas or luck-outs like Chris Sale aside... those many years of organization ineptitude add up to poison even the few good things that this franchise used to have going for it.e y

If not for 2005 semi-fluke World Series... White Sox might have been contracted or relocated by now. True story. So unless this fundamental, structural ownership issue is addressed... don't expect Rick Hahn or anyone else to magically make beautiful trades.

PS. Now, with that being said, baseball is one WEIRD-ASS game. Which is one of the reason we all love it. So if Sox were somehow to back into the playoff this year... they may just win the World Series again, hahah October is total crapshoot with Chris Sale on the bump!

You're right, the structural problem with the White sox is "Terrible scouts + terrible decisions associated with that scouting." Problem is - giving up on Phegley, Semien, Bassitt - is exactly the "terrible decisions associated with that scouting." Josh Phegley is a backup C - like you say - and catchers never learn anything with additional work right? Players never learn better defense when given the opportunity. That's buried into the White Sox system. Rush guys up to the big leagues and make decisions on them as fast as you can because they never learn anything and never get better. So why not deal them for a pitcher 1 year from free agency, because Phegley will never do better in the next 5 years than he did in 2014.

The reality is...if your players rush up to the big leagues and never develop...that's an indictment of your organization and your development more than anything else, because Phegley is already doing more than any other catcher in our Org is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Anywho, F*** tonight. 10-11 now for this team since the AS break and 2-6 since Rick Hahn said "if we keep playing like this we'll be right there at the end." 7-1 against teams that have quit and 3-10 against teams that haven't.

Congrats on your success and I hope you are judged on it Ricky. It's 100% what you asked for.

F***ING PROVE ME WRONG.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)
Cubs were a similar way two years ago, and now they are so much better managed despite 4 rookies.

Fathom,

To be fair, even before Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer, Jason McLoud, you cannot compare the Cubs and Sox.

Anymore than you could legitimately compare the White Sox to the Red Sox (during the latter franchise's 86-year WS drought, that is).

White Sox have possibly pro sports' worst fans, plus a few other impediments so they can never afford to truly REBUILD properly since another win-less decade might completely decimate the fanbase.

Whereas Boston and Cubs even losing 120 games a year for 10 years a row ... know that they will survive. So of course it's much easier to make big bets on raw young talent and rebuild the franchise groundup in a textbook way. Knowing full well that once they pay off, they will have a dynasty going.\\

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
Fathom,

To be fair, even before Theo Epstein, Jed Hoyer, Jason McLoud, you cannot compare the Cubs and Sox.

Anymore than you could legitimately compare the White Sox to the Red Sox (during the latter franchise's 86-year WS drought, that is).

White Sox have possibly pro sports' worst fans, plus a few other impediments so they can never afford to truly REBUILD properly since another win-less decade might completely decimate the fanbase.

Whereas Boston and Cubs even losing 120 games a year for 10 years a row ... know that they will survive. So of course it's much easier to make big bets on raw young talent and rebuild the franchise groundup in a textbook way. Knowing full well that once they pay off, they will have a dynasty going.\\

For team that can't rebuild, we haven't made the playoffs since '08.

For as bad as we're playing this teams future isn't as bleak as it seems. We have pieces. In the bigs and minors. We need make some good moves. This offseason is critical. We need to add an impact bat and find another good starter. Eric Johnson needs to come up soon and get some starts.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
Not really but guys we get that have been good come here and suck.

Is that bad luck or an organizational flaw ? I mean its no wonder we hear LaRoche being called LaDunn. Left handed NL player who K's and walks a lot with low batting average and big shifts on them defensively who can't hit lefties yet always play against lefties. The similarities are striking yet the front office went after LaRoche regardless.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
You're right, the structural problem with the White sox is "Terrible scouts + terrible decisions associated with that scouting." Problem is - giving up on Phegley, Semien, Bassitt - is exactly the "terrible decisions associated with that scouting." Josh Phegley is a backup C - like you say - and catchers never learn anything with additional work right? Players never learn better defense when given the opportunity. That's buried into the White Sox system. Rush guys up to the big leagues and make decisions on them as fast as you can because they never learn anything and never get better. So why not deal them for a pitcher 1 year from free agency, because Phegley will never do better in the next 5 years than he did in 2014.

The reality is...if your players rush up to the big leagues and never develop...that's an indictment of your organization and your development more than anything else, because Phegley is already doing more than any other catcher in our Org is.

Until this changes trading for "prospects" is a big risk.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
You can compete with Eaton-Melky-Abreu at the top of the order. Key is filling out the other 6 spots.

I do agree with this. I think Sanchez is fine as well as long as he can hit 240 and provide great defense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Anywho, F*** tonight. 10-11 now for this team since the AS break and 2-6 since Rick Hahn said "if we keep playing like this we'll be right there at the end." 7-1 against teams that have quit and 3-10 against teams that haven't.

Congrats on your success and I hope you are judged on it Ricky. It's 100% what you asked for.

I disagree with your quit analysis. You are counting Tampa as a team that has not quit and Boston that has. But Boston just went into Tampa and took 2 of 3. KC lost 2 of 3 to the Tigers coming into this series. Teams are basically up and down with the good teams having more ups and the bad teams having more downs. I am not sure the White Sox would beat the KC AAA team. They just own us.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)
I do agree with this. I think Sanchez is fine as well as long as he can hit 240 and provide great defense.

Sanchez is not an ML starter. 2nd is a position you can find offense at. He's a good sub but not a starter on a winning team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
Is that bad luck or an organizational flaw ? I mean its no wonder we hear LaRoche being called LaDunn. Left handed NL player who K's and walks a lot with low batting average and big shifts on them defensively who can't hit lefties yet always play against lefties. The similarities are striking yet the front office went after LaRoche regardless.

There's definitely problems in the organization. They better pay LaRoche to go away. He brings nothing to this club going forward.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
Sanchez is not an ML starter. 2nd is a position you can find offense at. He's a good sub but not a starter on a winning team.

You're just slobbering all over s***ty Micah's knob.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:07 PM)

Balta please you're defending John freakin Phegley. A guy with long-term health defect. An absolutely horrrific defender at an elite defensive position. Someone who cannot hit a breaking ball even in the minors to save his life by all accounts. Could he improve and become a respectable back-up catcher? Sure. Just like there are washed-up 40 year old LOOGY's sticking around the bigs simply because. That doesn't mean anything.

Do I look like someone who is a Jeff Samardja cheerleader? Not even close. But as of 2014, he WAS an elite starter if not in terms of actual results, then certainly in terms of UPSIDE. And like it or not, you always pay extra for 'upside'.

In retrospect, I think Billy Beane pantsed the White Sox GM yet again. I don't believe Shark is 100% healthy and if he weren't in a critically important pre-FA period or in a middle of a pennant race... I bet we would hear some rumours of "fore-arm tightness" or a prolonged "dead-arm".

IMHO.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:02 PM)
That would help a lot but even then do you trust the front office to do any good with the extra $13M ?

I'm sure they can find another over the hill NL player to take his place. After two tries maybe another career NL player to e a DH will work.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)

Surprised to hear anyone saying this with the way he has played since the terrible start. He may hit .275 next year and plays stellar defense. Might be worth 2-3 WAR next year.