White Sox @ Royals, 8/8/2015

Balta1701

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
Cabreroid

Oh yeah, about that.

It's hilarious poking fun at old Melky-pants, but Balta I like to point out that probably like 3/4 of big names we all know are or were on some sort of juice, HGH, greenies, designer stuff, the whole bizangle haha.

For instance, oh say....Carlos Quentin circa 2008.... Jose Batista.... A-Rod/Texeira/Pujols types probably even this year....Manny, Big Papi of course....or Mike "Mantle" Trout or Puig circa 2013, for that matter are legit.... you'll prolly be very disappointed. It's crazy. One of the things I always felt proud to be a Sox fan is because it's a relatively clean organization --- emphasis on relatively.

/end OT

Edited by L. Ron Paultard

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

No coach could ever keep their job in any sport as bad as this team is playing right now and after 3 losing seasons.

I don't blame it all on Robin.. but the experiment is over.

Need a fresh start... this is painful and we can't do this again next year.

Mental blunders....why is Jennings even bothering to look at Kendrys Morales, who isn't going anywhere in a million years?

Kind of embarassing to be drawing attention to yourself like Melky has been doing recently when you should be worried more about winning the game.

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
Oh yeah, about that.

It's hilarious poking fun at old Melky-pants, but Balta I like to point out that probably like 3/4 of big names we all know are or were on some sort of suice, HGH, greenies, designer stuff.

For instance, oh say....Carlos Quentin circa 2008.... Jose Batista.... A-Rod/Texeira/Pujols types probably even this year.... or Mike "Mantle" Trout for that matter are legit.... you'll prolly be very disappointed. It's crazy. One of the things I always felt proud to be a Sox fan is because it's a relatively clean organization --- emphasis on relatively.

/end OT

And congrats on defending Melky. I'll continue to be proud of those defending him until his next suspension comes down.

Anywho, F*** tonight. 10-11 now for this team since the AS break and 2-6 since Rick Hahn said "if we keep playing like this we'll be right there at the end." 7-1 against teams that have quit and 3-10 against teams that haven't.

Congrats on your success and I hope you are judged on it Ricky. It's 100% what you asked for.

QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)
No coach could ever keep their job in any sport as bad as this team is playing right now and after 3 losing seasons.

I don't blame it all on Robin.. but the experiment is over.

Need a fresh start... this is painful and we can't do this again next year.

Fans see this no wonder talk about Sox baseball is in the gutter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
You're underselling all of them IMO. Lower end major leaguers, if they are 1-2 WAR players, means that in 1 season they are more valuable to us than Samardzija would be and they control them for 6 years. And there's a nonzero chance of each of them winding up as all star players, we just didn't want to develop them. We wanted to win right now instead of developing people and now we see how well it worked. The A's wanted to develop people and they're going to get more out of thsoe player this year than we get out of Samardzija. Then they have those 3 for 2 more years pre-arb, 3 Arb years, and then Ravelo on top of that.

If we were a deep roster, ready to compete right now, that would make sense. We are not. The fact that our front office thought we were means that we'll be rebuilding again in 2016. That trade and our fail to trade Samardzija at the deadline has delayed our move back to competition by 2 years.

You are right, to a point. A deep farm system is indeed an asset overall --- it certainly beats a depleted one, as Sox have unfortunately found out the hard way a few years back.

However, since overwhelming majority of prospects end up being big busts.... quantity only takes you so far. You need QUALITY. You need STARS. And since you're paying for future performance/upside, Jeff Samardja seemed to offer that in the eyes of Rich Hahn. It doesn't always work out in reality, but his reasoning was solid.

This is where you are confusing the 2 things: contrary to the common media wisdom, the Sox problem is NOT that they traded away too many non-prospects like Semien or Ravelo. It may appear that way on the surface, but trust me it's NOT.

No, the real, long-running, STRUCTURAL problem for the Sox has always been: terrible scouts + terrible "loyalty hire" coaches + lack of unified professional philosophy. Yes bright spots like Frank Thomas or luck-outs like Chris Sale aside... those many years of organization ineptitude add up to poison even the few good things that this franchise used to have going for it.

If not for 2005 semi-fluke World Series... White Sox might have been contracted or relocated by now. True story. So unless this fundamental, structural ownership issue is addressed... don't expect Rick Hahn or anyone else to magically make beautiful trades.

PS. Now, with that being said, baseball is one WEIRD-ASS game. Which is one of the reason we all love it. So if Sox were somehow to back into the playoff this year... they may just win the World Series again, hahah October is total crapshoot with Chris Sale on the bump!