Micah Johnson back at AAA, expected call up in Sept

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
The issue with trying to have Johnson, Sanchez and Saladino in the starting lineup potentially for next season is the lack of power.

U.S. Cellular Field is a power-park, these guys are not power / RBI type hitters. You can have some of them in the lineup since they bring needed speed, defense and youth but I don't see how you can keep all of them even if Ramirez is let go.

Mark

Can't have Saladino at 3rd, that's for sure.

Move Saladino or Sanchez to short.

Johnson at 2B. No reason to believe he can't hit.

Get rid of Cooper and Ventura.

Edited by GreenSox

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
I'm sick of watching the White Sox playing circus clown defense. Micah Johnson's not an elite hitter whose bat would compensate for his defensive incompetence.

He's also had a problem staying healthy.

Then you better not look at the outfield, if you don't want to see clown defense. It's hard for me to take the Sox seriously if they say that Johnson's defense isn't up to their standards, when they sign Melky Cabrera to a $50 million deal and forego a draft choice..

Regardless, no reason not to play Johnson the last 5 weeks of the season. Alexei and Beckham shouldn't leave the bench.

Sox gave up O to put Saladino and Sanchez out there. It didn't help the team. It helped some of Cooper's pitchers, but not the team.

Edited by GreenSox

In all honesty, Micah should be starting everyday when he gets called up. I'm starting to believe the Sox see Sanchez as their 2B of the future, which means Micah is trade bait. Even a month of major league success would go a long ways towards bringing his value back up. In a perfect world, we would have traded Alexei and shifted Sanchez over to SS for the rest of the year. We should be taking advantage of this lost season by giving playing to the kids that may have a future with us. This same logic applies to Thompson, whether or not he's likely to be a platoon player.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
The most logical place for Micah is DH. With LaRoche here for 2016, he'd have to wait until 2017. I think he'll be traded by then. Sanchez's emergence as an elite defender and above average hitter makes it a very real possibility.

It's not though because he doesn't have enough power. You can't have Micah, Saladino, and Sanchez in the lineup every day playing at U.S. Cellular Field. Where is the power coming from?

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 10:47 PM)
Then you better not look at the outfield, if you don't want to see clown defense. It's hard for me to take the Sox seriously if they say that Johnson's defense isn't up to their standards, when they sign Melky Cabrera to a $50 million deal and forego a draft choice..

Regardless, no reason not to play Johnson the last 5 weeks of the season. Alexei and Beckham shouldn't leave the bench.

Sox gave up O to put Saladino and Sanchez out there. It didn't help the team. It helped some of Cooper's pitchers, but not the team.

Not sure the Sox gave up O for Saladino.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 09:39 AM)
It's not though because he doesn't have enough power. You can't have Micah, Saladino, and Sanchez in the lineup every day playing at U.S. Cellular Field. Where is the power coming from?

Right now I won't worry about that as much as "we have terrible hitters at 3 key offensive positions". Move up to "average hitters" at those 3 positions and we'll worry about power where we can find it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
Right now I won't worry about that as much as "we have terrible hitters at 3 key offensive positions". Move up to "average hitters" at those 3 positions and we'll worry about power where we can find it.

Yes. Black holes are problem number 1. Alexei is a black hole now unfortunately.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)
Yes. Black holes are problem number 1. Alexei is a black hole now unfortunately.

I only included 3b, RF, and DH as my "key offensive positions" since they're higher offense positions on average and we're terrible at those slots, but you can also accurately say we're below average to bad at 4 more offensive positions based on the way guys have played this year, with hope that 1-2 of those positions will recover as guys grow into a position.

With that many bad spots, just get some decent hitters in there first and then let's worry about whether we have enough power. Decent hitters will be monstrous upgrades.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Not really. Sanchez is the 2B for the near future in my opinion. Saladino can play SS until Anderson is ready. I don't really see a spot for Micah either.

His bat is insufficient for 2b...probably. But if you go by the last 2 months only, he's okay there.

But we do have Micah. And fine, trade him for a 3b, but jettisoning him to the minors in May doesn't max his value. He needs to play regularly over the next 5 weeks.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
His bat is insufficient for 2b...probably. But if you go by the last 2 months only, he's okay there.

But we do have Micah. And fine, trade him for a 3b, but jettisoning him to the minors in May doesn't max his value. He needs to play regularly over the next 5 weeks.

I think Micah would have to be a throw-in as part of a trade for 3B. Now if he comes up and shows he can play ML defense, then his trade value changes. Even though offensive numbers in September can be skewed, defensive play is not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
This is why Sox fans can't have a rebuild. Johnson was up for a month, and has already turned into a garbage throw in for a bigger deal. The kid will get his chance here, and isn't going anywhere.

I agree and disagree. I don't think he's a garbage throw-in by any means. I also believe he is going to get traded in the offseason as part of a package for a different position player.

If he can hit, he should be in the lineup everyday. If he has improved defensively, he should be the starting 2B. Carlos Sanchez has played better in the 2nd half, but I'm not convinced that he hits enough to be an everyday player on a team with so many offensive holes.

There is also a possibility that the White Sox do not exercise Ramirez's option and the White Sox move Sanchez to SS (or promote Anderson) for next season and use that money to fill out the lineup should there be another offensive upgrade in free agency or trade.

I do think Johnson should be in the lineup most days next season if his ability to hit is not in question.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
The most logical place for Micah is DH. With LaRoche here for 2016, he'd have to wait until 2017. I think he'll be traded by then. Sanchez's emergence as an elite defender and above average hitter makes it a very real possibility.

He's probably a DH 2-3 times a week and a 2B 1-2 times depending on the level of commitment shown to LaRoche and Sanchez (and the Ramirez situation).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
I agree and disagree. I don't think he's a garbage throw-in by any means. I also believe he is going to get traded in the offseason as part of a package for a different position player.

How about a trade for a ML 3B, just like he's a ML ready 2B. Shouldn't need much of a "package"

I'll pass on a bigger package for any more "proven veterans" and fallen heroes out of Williams and Hahn. That approach has been a debacle.

He needs to play over the next 5 weeks. And Alexei needs to sit.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
There is also a possibility that the White Sox do not exercise Ramirez's option and the White Sox move Sanchez to SS (or promote Anderson) for next season and use that money to fill out the lineup should there be another offensive upgrade in free agency or trade.

I do think Johnson should be in the lineup most days next season if his ability to hit is not in question.

There is no way that the Sox should pick up Alexei's option.

Sanchez and Saladino should play SS the rest of the way.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)

I am very happy you don't make any decisions pertaining to the White Sox.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 27, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)

If the Sox weren't going to bring back Alexei, they would have traded him already. No reason to do otherwise.