Micah Johnson to have knee surgery

southsider2k5

No word on nature of injury yet. Injuries are becoming a theme with him, sadly - multiple elbow surgeries, multiple hamstring strains/pulls, jammed shoulder, now left knee have all caused him to miss time. Hopefully he comes back healthy, but this now has to be a consideration when looking at future role and dependence on him in a lineup.

Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 6m6 minutes ago

Knee surgery for Micah Johnson. Doesn't sound major but #WhiteSox aren't certain when he might resume baseball activity.

Colleen Kane ‏@ChiTribKane 4m4 minutes ago

White Sox second baseman Micah Johnson to have arthroscopic surgery to clean up left knee tomorrow, Robin Ventura says.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
Well this explains why he hasn't been playing.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 1m1 minute ago

Micah Johnson told me he's having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Thursday.

Yep... You can scratch him off as someone that's going to help this team in the future.

Absolutely amazing....we had three potential future guys to take over second base (Johnson, simean, Sanchez), the future looks bleak at that position too. How can we count on this organization to effectively develope players when they constantly fail like that?

QUOTE (chisoxt @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 02:11 AM)
Absolutely amazing....we had three potential future guys to take over second base (Johnson, simean, Sanchez), the future looks bleak at that position too. How can we count on this organization to effectively develope players when they constantly fail like that?

Sanchez has been a fine second baseman for us.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)
Hawk convinced me a year ago Micah was gonna be a superstar. Now he's just a blah prospect. What happened? I was hoping he was the next Ray Durham.

Well there's your problem, you let Hawk convince you of something.

That being said, to the people writing him off because of this - I think you're overreacting.

Micah Johnson has 114 major league plate appearances. 114!! People on this board want to sell everything for prospects but freak out and write players off as soon as they struggle. Micah is awful defensively and I have my doubts that he'll be a White Sox long-term but good lord people. He had a wRc+ of 145 at Charlotte this year. He's a really good prospect still.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
Micah Johnson has 114 major league plate appearances. 114!! People on this board want to sell everything for prospects but freak out and write players off as soon as they struggle. Micah is awful defensively and I have my doubts that he'll be a White Sox long-term but good lord people. He had a wRc+ of 145 at Charlotte this year. He's a really good prospect still.

he's hardly even a prospect. He'll be 25 in spring and he hasn't been able to stay healthy going on 2 years. When he did play, he was OK with the bat but historically awful at 2B. He's just "another guy" at this point much like Salidino, Sanchez, Conor, etc, etc, etc. Maybe if he had a solid instructional staff to guide him but a lot of sand has already passed through the hourglass on Micah.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)

The one thing we know is that the kid is a hitter. We don't know if he can field, and we don't know if he can stay healthy enough to play 150 games. With the spot the White Sox are in, the only way you give up Micah is if you get a starting player in a position of need, such as Catcher or 3B.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
he's hardly even a prospect. He'll be 25 in spring and he hasn't been able to stay healthy going on 2 years. When he did play, he was OK with the bat but historically awful at 2B. He's just "another guy" at this point much like Salidino, Sanchez, Conor, etc, etc, etc. Maybe if he had a solid instructional staff to guide him but a lot of sand has already passed through the hourglass on Micah.

.315/.375/.466 which almost exactly matched his totals between AA and AAA last year with speed to burn. If the White Sox were playing meaningful games, this surgery would have waited. Write him off, but it is really interesting the players you immediatetly write off vs. the players you think are going to be good.

Here's a reminder for all you guys who want rebuilds. It is very rare rookies come into MLB and are Mike Trout or Jose Abreu right away.

Hm, people seem to be reacting to someone giving up on Micah. Not sure I see anyone other than Greg doing that.

QUOTE (staxx @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
Not really a major procedure at all.

No reason to knock him down on his potential because of it.

Procedure isn't a big issue. But as I said earlier, and I stand by it, is that he's got a long injury history now. Enough so that it should be a concern. Not to give up on the guy - but part of the landscape.