Not stopping at a stop sign? Really police?

greg775

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
Are you serious?

Yes, because I look beyond my front yard.

Do you know any recent college grads? No jobs.

Yes. It's tough out there. It was tough in the early-mid 90's when I got out of school too. The only time it wasn't was maybe around 1998-2001, but even then it wasn't easy if you weren't in tech. The job market right now is better than at lots of other times - and yes, also worse than some others. Look at the numbers.

Do you know anybody over 50? No jobs. Job outlook - grim.

Uh, yes, plenty. Tough for some, good for others - like at EVERY OTHER TIME IN HISTORY. Which is why you have to look at the numbers. They're above the running average in terms of jobs right now. Are they fantastic? No.

Middle class making no headway on retirement funds. Heading for a huge disaster when all these people above 55 start retiring. Retirement outlook - Poorhouse for people used to at least having food, leisure money.

This is patently false of course. The equity markets have nearly DOUBLED in value in the past 8 years from bottom to top. Some people won't make it work - others will - but if you were able to put money aside in a 401k or the like, you're doing quite well.

The economy is terrible. Businesses not making money, constantly laying people off. I've been reading about predictions of impending doom.

Also patently false. Businesses making record profits, layoffs not especially high right now either. On the lower side in fact. Whatever you are reading must be written by some odd birds. Might the market turn down? Sure - like it always has at times.

So much money lost on stock market.

By lost you mean gained, right? Are you reading charts upside down?

Nation's debt ridiculous.

This one has some truth to it. Congratulations, here's a cookie.

WHy all the optimism in your post?

See above.

The irony is that there's a security flight to US Treasury notes...many more Americans are confident enough in their own country's solvency they're willing to accept a measly 2% rate of return.

Ironically, everyone thought China dumping USD would give them a financial stranglehold over us.

That said, bonds and T bills won't finance your retirement unless 60-75% is invested growth oriented equities, assuming you're under 50 and have a longer time horizon. And very few are projecting another doubling of the market the next seven year cycle. It might be like 1998-2009 and be essentially a lost decade of overall stock market growth, where we took three huge hits over that time period.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 04:52 PM)
They why is nobody making any headway? I guess the CEO's are doing well.

I'm not a CEO, not but I'm also doing quite well.

For now, anyway.

But that can be said at any point in my career. You're always a day away from losing a job.

Greg's also right there is a huge sense of insecurity from the real middle class...inability to save or lacking the discipline or methodology to invest, lack of confidence in the future, flat wages but luckily inflation hasn't kicked in yet. Largely living paycheck to paycheck with a mortgage possibly underwater and lots of credit card or student loan debt.

Corporations are making tons of profit, but still largely sitting on them while hoping for a GOP president to come along and provide them even more advantages and loopholes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 05:43 PM)
Greg's also right there is a huge sense of insecurity from the real middle class...inability to save or lacking the discipline or methodology to invest, lack of confidence in the future, flat wages but luckily inflation hasn't kicked in yet. Largely living paycheck to paycheck with a mortgage possibly underwater and lots of credit card or student loan debt.

Corporations are making tons of profit, but still largely sitting on them while hoping for a GOP president to come along and provide them even more advantages and loopholes.

When I see posts like this I wonder what "real middle class" means...I consider myself middle class and I'm able to do all of these things, and the only debit I have is my mortgage.

I don't know, maybe I'm upper middle class and I don't know it...is there some sort of number that defines these classes?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 19, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
When I see posts like this I wonder what "real middle class" means...I consider myself middle class and I'm able to do all of these things, and the only debit I have is my mortgage.

I don't know, maybe I'm upper middle class and I don't know it...is there some sort of number that defines these classes?

Some have argued $50,000 per year for a single person, some $75-100,000 for a married couple with kids.

Of course, it depends on which city/market you live in, cost of living, etc.

A teacher's salary of $44,000 in Kansas City, Missouri, is much different than Chicago, LA, SF, NYC or Boston, for example.

I make about $3200 after tax per month here in China (international school) and my wife earns somewhere between $800-1600 USD per month (pre-tax) working for an insurance company (she gets sales commissions randomly). I guess we're upper middle class, but we don't own a house of our own or have a car (take the subway or private taxi). It would be something like $5500-6000 USD per month pre-tax.

Of course, having a 7 month old baby is very expensive in China....on average, we spend $1250 per month on milk powder, diapers, special foods/fruits, clothing, etc.

Those are the two highest salaries I've ever made (that and teaching in KCMO). I don't consider myself "upper middle class," although I suppose I should because of traveling to 30+ countries in my lifetime. We had this debate before (with my young co-teachers when I worked in Colombia), anyone who has enough disposable income to do that theoretically is upper middle class. Of course, it's different when you're single. Back then, I didn't spend much at all on clothing or really anything for myself beyond food, travel and entertainment costs.

Others might say I have to classify myself as "upper" because of having two Master's degrees, but that's pretty ridiculous just to equate a Master's/MBA or PhD with upper class. Kind of snobby or elitist.

Edited by caulfield12

Greg needs to have a reality show with Bob Dole where they both talk in third person...kind of like that economic conspiracy movie Collapse mixed with SNLish vignettes. With a Wayne's World feel.

I know, I know....put down the crack pipe.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
Greg needs to have a reality show with Bob Dole where they both talk in third person...kind of like that economic conspiracy movie Collapse mixed with SNLish vignettes. With a Wayne's World feel.

Nah man, this s*** is gold.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 05:08 PM)
Nah man, this s*** is gold.

I've been paying a lot of money to the city lately. Just had to send in my registration fees for the car. Along with the money for the ticket.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)

Greg's world, Greg's world, ticket time, excellent!

Greg and Jimmy from Seinfeld need to form a 3rd person dynamic duo. Perhaps they could take on the 3rd person heavy weight champs in Elmo and The Rock. Can you smellelelelel what the stop sign is cooking? Oh, my bad, its the crack. Carry on...

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Greg's world, Greg's world, ticket time, excellent!

Greg and Jimmy from Seinfeld need to form a 3rd person dynamic duo. Perhaps they could take on the 3rd person heavy weight champs in Elmo and The Rock. Can you smellelelelel what the stop sign is cooking? Oh, my bad, its the crack. Carry on...

And then they could run advertisements from THE WIZ...topped off by a food segment where Greg gets upbraided by the local Applebee's in Lawrence by the same sous chef (Soup Nazi) who says "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" and can then plead his case online about why he actually should have been served the soup but was unfairly denied his rightful cup.

Still trying to figure out how I can incorporate Ozzie Guillen and the members of the 2005 Chicago White Sox into the show...why they would have a reason to come to Lawrence that doesn't have anything to do with KU basketball?

Maybe they're doing a 10 year anniversary "Hallmark World Series Champs Card" to benefit White Sox Charities and they have to do the camera shoot/production there at the HQ facility...I know, it's a stretch.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 12:29 AM)
I've been paying a lot of money to the city lately. Just had to send in my registration fees for the car. Along with the money for the ticket.

do you hear that sound? It is the worlds smallest violin playing the worlds saddest song

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:12 AM)
And then they could run advertisements from THE WIZ...topped off by a food segment where Greg gets upbraided by the local Applebee's in Lawrence by the same sous chef (Soup Nazi) who says "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" and can then plead his case online about why he actually should have been served the soup but was unfairly denied his rightful cup.

Still trying to figure out how I can incorporate Ozzie Guillen and the members of the 2005 Chicago White Sox into the show...why they would have a reason to come to Lawrence that doesn't have anything to do with KU basketball?

Maybe they're doing a 10 year anniversary "Hallmark World Series Champs Card" to benefit White Sox Charities and they have to do the camera shoot/production there at the HQ facility...I know, it's a stretch.

:lolhitting

You're on a roll Caulfield!

Ozzie and the 05 Sox could be written in as being lost in Texas after leaving ST in AZ. It is there that they run into Kickin Wing who takes them on a spiritual journey via peyote ( while listening to ZZ Top) that reveals Ozzie and co need to go to KS. Along comes Joe Dirt and offers them all a ride to KS in his Hemi and off they go (while singing the wizard of oz song, in perfect harmony). A full frontal attack ensues on the evil soup nazi whom was ostracized to KS by Seinfeld and his cohorts due to his nazi ways and being a closet cubs/Royals fan. The soup nazi ( not to be out done) has formed a special bond with The Rock/Elmo/Greg and has been feeding them a new Avengers Soup that will boost their 3rd personage's. While this is going down, Seinfeld and his cohorts have teamed up with Egg Shen who has busted out his six-demon bag and are heading to KS for the ultimate battle royale that includes stop signs as weapons!

Stay tuned folks, this s***s about to get heavy!

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 07:04 AM)
*trill* *trill* *trill*

:lol:

He just wants the Cream of Sum Yung Gai.

Perhaps it's,

The cream of sum yung soup nazi? :P

Would explain the anxiety. :lol: