My FA/realistic trade targets for this offeason

TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
Some sort of Ozuna and Dietrich would definitely be a good start for us. And Avi and Montas might actually be too much in my opinion. I don't see the need to trade a top 55 prospect in baseball for either of those guys. Ozuna has had his own struggles at the major league level and seemed to fall out of favor in Miami, plus I'm not sure how much trade value Dietrich really has on his own. He's 26 and hasn't had a full MLB season yet. I would think Avi and Beck would be a good start to the deal with the 2nd prospect not needing to be nearly as good as Montas. Maybe Danish, but I would even try guys like Jacob May or Jordan Guerrero. Idk, maybe I'm overvaluing our players, but if we do involve Montas in our trade I hope its for a bigger package than Ozuna and Dietrich.

Adding Ozuna, Dietrich + a guy like Valencia would be a cheap efficient way to improve the lineup while still keeping our core prospects though. Would add a lot of versatility too, just questionable if it would be enough to get us over the hump and into the playoffs.

I would prefer not using Montas here also, just throwing it out. Looking at Miami's prospect list is something. They don't have a lot in the minors. What was Beck's injury and would that preclude using him.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 04:07 PM)
But also heady/gritty/grindy in Sox tradition...

That's the old tradition. That's what Shark was, and they want nothing to do with him (regardless of how he pitched).

The new tradition is happy go lucky clowns, like alexei, eaton and Melky.

Here's a random idea I'm just throwing in here.

What about trading David Robertson to the Washington Nationals? Not sure who we get back in return, but they have great minor league depth and need a closer in a bad way after Storen melted down and Papelbon tried to choke Bryce Harper.

They wouldn't have any trouble with Robertson's contract. They might send us Papelbon back + money just to get him off their hands, and throw in some prospects.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
W

Throwing a bunch of names like Montas, Beck and Danish together won't accomplish much, either.

Or maybe the Sox can actually figure out how to use players like Montas or Micah.

Longoria's OBP has been below a modest .330 for 2 straight years. Let's have declining veterans for 5 prospects, Alex.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 07:05 AM)
Both of those guys are worth significantly more than Frazier. If the Sox do go after Todd, it better for be minor leaguers. I'd actually be ok with a package like Montas, Micah (if the Sox seem Sanchez as our 2B), & Guerrero. I think we can afford to trade some minor league pitching as long as we hold onto Fulmer & Adams and as I mentioned Micah could be blocked. I don't think that deal would have gotten it done a few years ago, but it today's environment where prospects are coveted it just might work. Still risky given Frazier is only under control for 2 years and the upside of us guys involved on our end.

Micah's inability to stay heathy is worrisome IMO because his success is dependent on those legs... That alone should make the Sox trade him while he still might have some potential value to someone. Sanchez is nothing special, but his D more than makes up or at the very least equals out his lack of hitting. I'd be perfectly fine with the Sox trading Micah in a package - and I was a huge Micah supporter in ST.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
Or maybe the Sox can actually figure out how to use players like Montas or Micah.

Longoria's OBP has been below a modest .330 for 2 straight years. Let's have declining veterans for 5 prospects, Alex.

Micah can't stay healthy. Montas still needs minor league work.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
Thought about him, but he still has a 6 year $100M extension that hasn't even stated yet. No thanks unless the Rays would eat a big chunk of $ and I don't see them as the type of team to do that.

These days, that isn't as much as it seems. It could also serve to bring down his price.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
f*** Hanley. He's not an option.

He would come cheaper than Zobrist or Murphy. I'm rather certain Murphy will get 4 years. I think Zobrist will as well because there is no draft pick compensation and every single team could use him.

Victor Martinez got 4 years last year at 36 and he can play roughly zero positions.

Just because other teams have given sh***y contracts to other players does not obligate us to do the same. Not picking at anyone but it seems like some people who criticize Melkys three year deal would give older or injured or worse players longer deals with higher salary averages. The one thing Hahn did is not cripple a team, with a budget ,with a contract that kills it. LaRoche got 2 years and Melky three. I saw where 1 WAR was valued at 7 million. Melky, with all his problems was a 1.4 WAR player so he missed it by .4 war. He was not a major problem and a good bet to be better next year. The 4-8+ year contracts some of the premier FA will get probably take us out of that market. 25 million a year could get 3-6 useful players. Everyone agrees we are not one player away so I wouldn't throw it at one player.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
He would come cheaper than Zobrist or Murphy. I'm rather certain Murphy will get 4 years. I think Zobrist will as well because there is no draft pick compensation and every single team could use him.

Victor Martinez got 4 years last year at 36 and he can play roughly zero positions.

I'm not advocating them. I want Freese. Hanley is not the player you want here with a "bad" clubhouse

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)

Wasn't Victor Martinez arguably the best hitter in baseball the year before he his free agency?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
Wasn't Victor Martinez arguably the best hitter in baseball the year before he his free agency?

He certainly wasn't this year. And he certainly wasn't expected to be. And as a broken down old former catcher/DH he certainly doesn't offer any value in the field or on the base paths. Supply and demand. Every team in baseball who is trying to win can use Zobrist. Martinez could only go to AL teams with an opening at DH and a lot of money to spend. Tigers, White Sox, and I don't know who else.

Martinez was also one of those loyalty moves like when we kept Contreras, Konerko, Dye, Buehrle, etc.

In isolation, it seemed like it would go bad...but you could understand why Illitch would authorize it. Maybe they also thought he would go to KC to replace Butler. There are other calculations to consider, like his influence on their young hitters, relationship with Miggy, etc. The fact that he'd come back from catastrophic injuries before.

If you switched out Kendrys for Victor, KC might have ended up struggling more to hold off the Twins because Morales was such a key to the Royals' offense this year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 09:23 PM)
Martinez was also one of those loyalty moves like when we kept Contreras, Konerko, Dye, Buehrle, etc.

In isolation, it seemed like it would go bad...but you could understand why Illitch would authorize it. Maybe they also thought he would go to KC to replace Butler. There are other calculations to consider, like his influence on their young hitters, relationship with Miggy, etc. The fact that he'd come back from catastrophic injuries before.

If you switched out Kendrys for Victor, KC might have ended up struggling more to hold off the Twins because Morales was such a key to the Royals' offense this year.

and yet I spent a month last year saying why it was a terrible idea for the sox to spend that kind of money on him.