The LaRoche article dug up from 2015

glangon

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2015 -> 03:01 PM)
Speaking of Andy Wilkins...

MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 1m1 minute ago

Rangers Claim Andy Wilkins From Mariners http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/rang...s-mariners.html

He's in the running for the most claimed player ever.

Andy Wilkins transactions in 2015 alone:

March 29: Claimed by TOR off waivers from CHW

May 3: Traded from TOR to LAD for cash

Sept 6: Claimed by BAL off waivers from LAD

Dec 2: Claimed by SEA off waivers from BAL

Dec 9: Claimed by MIL off waivers from SEA

Dec 12: Claimed by TEX off waivers from MIL

On the one hand, lots of teams at least feel like he's a decent AAAA/emergency 1B guy. On the other hand...

• 2 weeks later...

"4:03pm: FOX’s Ken Rosenthal reports that Jaso will be guaranteed a total of $8MM over the life of the deal (Twitter link). Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets that Jaso will earn $4MM in each season of the contract."

Smart move by the Pirates.

As for LaRoche. I think what happens is he spends ST fighting for the DH spot and if he loses he will be used in a bench role. It is what it is.

Although Hahn has shopped La Roche I still think he values the guy waaaaaay more than people on soxtalk values him. Maybe to a fault but I think Hahn probably thinks there is still some value in a left handed power hitting veteran either for this current team or with what the return he expects for sending LaRoche to another team.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:36 PM)
Although Hahn has shopped La Roche I still think he values the guy waaaaaay more than people on soxtalk values him. Maybe to a fault but I think Hahn probably thinks there is still some value in a left handed power hitting veteran either for this current team or with what the return he expects for sending LaRoche to another team.

He was willing to give him away to the Pirates while paying more than 60% of his contract.

Hahn can't just pull the cord on Laroche and completely admit that he has next to zero value, he is still trying to move him. The dichotomy of it all, trying to keep Laroche relevant and on other team's radar so you can somehow trade him, while not publically admitting that he doesn't have much value...that's the definition of a tough sell.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
He was willing to give him away to the Pirates while paying more than 60% of his contract.

Hahn was basically trying to sell Laroche as a $5 million dollar player, it was a starting point. I still think the Sox might be better off eating up to 10 million of his salary just to open up a roster/lineup spot. If he doesn't bounce back, you've burned 13 million and wasted a roster spot.

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 04:49 PM)
Hahn was basically trying to sell Laroche as a $5 million dollar player, it was a starting point. I still think the Sox might be better off eating up to 10 million of his salary just to open up a roster/lineup spot. If he doesn't bounce back, you've burned 13 million and wasted a roster spot.

He has a track record of being pretty good. There was an injury last year, and an adjustment to a new role. He was awful, but there is reason to believe he can be productive again.he does pretty well during even years.

Edited by Dick Allen

Hahn did offer 8M/LaRoche to the Pirates and they said no. I think Hahn realizes LaRoche has no value, its the media that took off with it because trading LaRoche is the most obvious move but the media failed to realize its also the most difficult if not impossible move. I mean seriously, look at LaRoche's numbers/salary and the " Hahn is shopping LaRoche" line the media ran with. Hahn isn't "shopping LaRoche", Hahn is looking for a dumpster team to drop Sox hot garbage on to. There never was a market for a 36 year old power hitter that's set to make 13M and only hit 12 HR last season.

I would like to be wrong on this but it does not seem there are GM's dumb enough to trade for LaRoche. All we can do is hope he can somewhat bounce back a bit in whatever role the Sox put him in.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)

I am not going to sign up for that to read the article but I will take your word for it. I still don't think we really would know the details to proposed deals that fall through but whatever.

If I was Hahn I would convince myself that he has value. LOL Makes it easier to keep a straight face while trying to do deals.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 24, 2015 -> 12:46 AM)
For what the White Sox would have to pay for someone to take LaRoche, it makes no sense to unload him. The savings would be minimal. If he shows he is still the same as last season in spring training or April or May, release him then. until that time, they might as well see where he is at.

i don't know what is a savings would be with these org when they are talking about millions of dollars being saved.

yeah, i was talking about laroche to the pirates along with 3-5 mil and a prospect pitcher to sweeten the pot.

no matter what, laroche can play good defense at 1b and it will save the pirates from rushing their 1b prospects.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 23, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
i don't know what is a savings would be with these org when they are talking about millions of dollars being saved.

yeah, i was talking about laroche to the pirates along with 3-5 mil and a prospect pitcher to sweeten the pot.

no matter what, laroche can play good defense at 1b and it will save the pirates from rushing their 1b prospects.

The Pirates signed John Jaso today which confirms their lack of interest in LaRoche.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to The LaRoche article dug up from 2015