The LaRoche article dug up from 2015

glangon

Well this should be great for the bench flexibility. This is like the Konerko farewell tour, except we have LaRoche there ...... Add in if we were somehow able to switch Melky to DH and then acquire an OF and keep Garcia as our 4OF?

That's one ugly bench. LaRoche, Avila, Garcia ........ none have flexibility, and all are pretty awful. Yay!

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
Well this should be great for the bench flexibility. This is like the Konerko farewell tour, except we have LaRoche there ...... Add in if we were somehow able to switch Melky to DH and then acquire an OF and keep Garcia as our 4OF?

That's one ugly bench. LaRoche, Avila, Garcia ........ none have flexibility, and all are pretty awful. Yay!

Avi can be placed in the minors if need be.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
I guess you could play him once or twice a week in April and if he remains the awful hitter he was last year, just release him. Eat the 13 million. He's that bad that it might spark the team if you cut him.

but he has a bad rep for being a really slow starter.

since the sox can't trade him. he is a good defensive option at 1b. keep him and see what happens. remember he did put up 12 hrs.

if by the asg, nothing happens and if the sox are out of it, release him. nothing more than a bench option with an occasional start.

Perhaps we aren't sufficiently addressing the real issue: Is it reasonable to expect LaRoche to have a bounce back season, or has his age already spelled the end of his effectiveness? I still don't know how much credibility to attach to the claims that he was injured last season. If that were the case, you could consider keeping him, as a DH, and just moving him further back, in the order. Providing that he could put up respectable offensive numbers, at least in a platoon role, that might be acceptable.

Go get a potent middle of the order bat to play RF, in place of Avi, and go with a lineup like this:

Eaton CF

Melky LF

Abreu 1B

????? RF (preferably a LH hitter, but any solid run producer)

Lawrie 3B

LaRoche DH vs. RHP

Avila/Navarro C

Saladino SS

Sanchez 2B (I would love to see Carlos eventually emerge as an effective 2 hole hitter. That is where he has had his best Minor League success}

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
Perhaps we aren't sufficiently addressing the real issue: Is it reasonable to expect LaRoche to have a bounce back season, or has his age already spelled the end of his effectiveness? I still don't know how much credibility to attach to the claims that he was injured last season. If that were the case, you could consider keeping him, as a DH, and just moving him further back, in the order. Providing that he could put up respectable offensive numbers, at least in a platoon role, that might be acceptable.

Go get a potent middle of the order bat to play RF, in place of Avi, and go with a lineup like this:

Eaton CF

Melky LF

Abreu 1B

Lawrie 3B

LaRoche DH vs. RHP

Avila/Navarro C

Saladino SS

Sanchez 2B (I would love to see Carlos eventually emerge as an effective 2 hole hitter. That is where he has had his best Minor League success}

I've put as much stock in the injury theory as anybody, but hearing that the Sox are so eager to get out from under LaRoche's deal has me reconsidering.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:27 PM)
Perhaps we aren't sufficiently addressing the real issue: Is it reasonable to expect LaRoche to have a bounce back season, or has his age already spelled the end of his effectiveness?

You got it right. He's washed up cause of his age. He was bad from beginning to end of last season. He's just done.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:41 PM)
You got it right. He's washed up cause of his age. He was bad from beginning to end of last season. He's just done.

if one can make a judgement based on someone last performance, then you are right.

is there a chance it might not happen, maybe, but then the sox believe it to be so, but they made an announcement that is was avail and rpts of the club making an offer to pitt and with 8 mil as a sweetener.

The only way that I'd hold out any real hope of a bounce back from Adam, is if he was injured last season. If he was healthy last year, it seems unreasonable to expect him to do significantly better, at age 36. Then too, there is the pattern of guy coming off a solid career in the NL, specifically with Washington in his last several seasons, before coming to the Sox. Dunn was much younger, and he was even worse, in his first year with the Sox.

Eaton CF

Melky LF

Abreu 1B

Lawrie 3B

LaRoche DH vs. RHP

Avila/Navarro C

Saladino SS

That's a 70 win lineup if I've ever seen one. Once a pitcher gers past ???? and Lawrie (not the toughest out in the world himself) it's cruise control for 2 innings.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 09:56 PM)
The only way that I'd hold out any real hope of a bounce back from Adam, is if he was injured last season. If he was healthy last year, it seems unreasonable to expect him to do significantly better, at age 36. Then too, there is the pattern of guy coming off a solid career in the NL, specifically with Washington in his last several seasons, before coming to the Sox. Dunn was much younger, and he was even worse, in his first year with the Sox.

ok i will play,

then if he was injured then why did the sox announce he is avail??? why offer him and 8 mil to pitt ??? more importantly why not use the press group to do damage control???

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 12, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
Bold prediction: Adam La Roche will be on the White Sox next season.

Bold prediction: I will take a poop before midnight.

Edit: I have lacitives and I'm not afraid to use em!

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 12:17 AM)
If a team like the Brewers who could maybe use a stop gap, why not? They're not competing.

From a Brewers standpoint and as pointed out in the article, there are quite a few options available and those options are more productive at a cheaper price.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 12:30 AM)
From a Brewers standpoint and as pointed out in the article, there are quite a few options available and those options are more productive at a cheaper price.

How much would Alvarez or Carter command through arbitration? We could offer the same thing we offered the Pirates and they can pay him $5 mil.

Although they'd likely prefer to sign Ike Davis, Alvarez, or Carter due to potential trade interest at the trade deadline.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
How much would Alvarez or Carter command through arbitration? We could offer the same thing we offered the Pirates and they can pay him $5 mil.

Although they'd likely prefer to sign Ike Davis, Alvarez, or Carter due to potential trade interest at the trade deadline.

Last I read Alvarez was projected 8.1M and Carter at 5.6M. There's really no reason for the Brewers to even be curious about LaRoche. Sox fans just need to accept he will be with the Sox next season.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to The LaRoche article dug up from 2015