The LaRoche article dug up from 2015

glangon

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
Keep in mind that those are Knightengale's words when talking about freeing up payroll space. Maybe I missed it but I haven't read anything where Hahn spoke of clearing payroll.

I believe Hahn talked about the need to get creative / back end deals to 2016 and beyond.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
Again, clearing openings is different that clearing cap space and that isn't something I'd think you'd have to worry about at this point (if you are trying to compete). LaRoche's one year deal shouldn't get in the way of "competing" or not "competing" imo. Hahn has already hinted at backloading something which would already be working around it. I just wish Sox would keep their mouths shut about financial stuff. I never liked when Kenny talked about it and I never liked when Hahn does either. If you want to talk about something after we do it (and about how JR went above and beyond...great, I can support that) but I don't want them to cry poor for / make excuses for items. Lets not pretend people don't understand their circumstances and payroll limitations. We know we aren't the Yankees or Dodgers and thus we have to build plans that contemplate those very components (and can't just ignore the fact that we can't go crazy in FA).

i somewhat disagree here. while the sox org is not the yanks, dodgers, res sox etc of the baseball world, where they could toss money around, on the same topic of economics, they are the in the financial strains of that, a 3rd world economy.

there is a lot of mis information there.

here is a simple question, what is the priority, getting the team to compete or make no moves until it is financial ok to do it, with the understanding of not interrupting the owners profit margin.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
I believe Hahn talked about the need to get creative / back end deals to 2016 and beyond.

Hahn did speak about if they signed player the Sox would be looking for a back loaded deal beyond '16 when Danks/LaRoche contracts are done but that different than what Knightengale said about LaRoche and why the Sox are looking to trade him.

I don't doubt the Sox are looking to move LaRoche, I doubt Knightengale's reason seeing as how the Sox will have to eat money in order save just a bit. Trading LaRoche is about opening up the DH spot. Open up the DH spot and the Sox have more flexibility. Melky goes to DH, RF goes to Thompson, LF goes to Avi or FA/trade bat. Hell, the Sox would be able to platoon Avi/Melky at DH. I like LaRoche as a person but he isnclogging up the DH spot and suffocating the teams flexibility.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
Hahn did speak about if they signed player the Sox would be looking for a back loaded deal beyond '16 when Danks/LaRoche contracts are done but that different than what Knightengale said about LaRoche and why the Sox are looking to trade him.

I don't doubt the Sox are looking to move LaRoche, I doubt Knightengale's reason seeing as how the Sox will have to eat money in order save just a bit. Trading LaRoche is about opening up the DH spot. Open up the DH spot and the Sox have more flexibility. Melky goes to DH, RF goes to Thompson, LF goes to Avi or FA/trade bat. Hell, the Sox would be able to platoon Avi/Melky at DH. I like LaRoche as a person but he isnclogging up the DH spot and suffocating the teams flexibility.

Eaton should go to LF and Trayce to CF in they could somehow move LaRoche.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
and here is me stirring the pot.

yup, move him to the end of the bench.

Yep, I've been suggesting this for a while now. He can be a bench bat and late inning defensive sub at 1B. Who knows, maybe at some point he catches fire and gets more atbats but otherwise, he rides the pine while cheerleading his teammates.

Adam LaRoche: bench bat, late inng defensive replacement and jock holder extraordinaire.

Maybe the Sox should look into a Melky trade. Platoon the DH spot with LaAvi, Eaton LF, Thompson CF and FA/Trade for RF.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
Hahn has also talked about backloading contracts to make it easier on signing a big guy. I just don't see them moving LaRoche unless they take on half of his contract.

They need to just get rid of him. Somehow make it happen. Eating money or whatever.

Then move Melky to DH. Then go get another big bat. One of the OFers

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
Yep, I've been suggesting this for a while now. He can be a bench bat and late inning defensive sub at 1B. Who knows, maybe at some point he catches fire and gets more atbats but otherwise, he rides the pine while cheerleading his teammates.

Adam LaRoche: bench bat, late inng defensive replacement and jock holder extraordinaire.

Maybe the Sox should look into a Melky trade. Platoon the DH spot with LaAvi, Eaton LF, Thompson CF and FA/Trade for RF.

and most importantly, help give Jose A a really good time off when needed. defensively, the sox will lose nothing but gain, and well, who knows about his offense esp if Abreau is hurt.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
Eaton should go to LF and Trayce to CF in they could somehow move LaRoche.

That would help the team immensely.

Then trade AVI for that Colorado 3B prospect.

And the Sox move from the worst OF in baseball to an upper tier OF.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)

Laroche is a born again idiot that said he's not here to play the game,but to spread the gospel.

No dickf***, you are getting paid 25 million to hit a f***ing baseball. Once he said that crap, I wanted him gone in a flash.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
i somewhat disagree here. while the sox org is not the yanks, dodgers, res sox etc of the baseball world, where they could toss money around, on the same topic of economics, they are the in the financial strains of that, a 3rd world economy.

there is a lot of mis information there.

here is a simple question, what is the priority, getting the team to compete or make no moves until it is financial ok to do it, with the understanding of not interrupting the owners profit margin.

What the f*** are you smoking? Do you read what comes out of your fingers?

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 03:17 AM)

That article does highlight the issue we have here.

We have a guy, who is in a position that most teams have talent, who hit .207 with 14 homers and 44 RBI's and is getting paid $13 million.

If you were a GM (not the Giants GM, because he paid $90 million for the Shark) would you trade anyone for that production.

I wouldn't.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
umadbro?

Actually, yes. I try not and get worked up about bad signings or trades( I have defended the danks and Jeff s deals here and elsewhere), but when I hear someone basically admit he's taking my money, then f*** him.

I won't ever tell someone how to worship a deity, nor would I criticize them for spreading the good word( I'm a former seminarian), but theb25 million dollar contract he got was to play baseball, not evangelize. He can do that on his free time. The $25 million allows him to do just that. AFTER he's done fulfilling his contract. That he freely signed mind you.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
Laroche is a born again idiot that said he's not here to play the game,but to spread the gospel.

No dickf***, you are getting paid 25 million to hit a f***ing baseball. Once he said that crap, I wanted him gone in a flash.

This isn't the Filibuster. Criticizing someone's religion or lack there of is not a PHT forum topic.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)

That is really crossing the line.

Have you ever met Adam LaRoche or asked his teammates about him? You take his words out of context and burst into a ignorant rant.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to The LaRoche article dug up from 2015